Author Topic: Rider down and good news  (Read 4659 times)

HiFi Guy

• Scooter
on: December 01, 2015, 08:39:08 am
I was riding to work two weeks ago and went to make a right turn into a gas station to pick up some bananas and a soda for breakfast. Turning into the station, I hit some gravel, and down I went. It happened so fast that I was up, and the next second, I was on my side, hands still on the bars, and feet on the pegs. I was wearing jeans, boots, helmet and leather jacket.

I found I couldn't get out from under the bike. A couple of guys came over and got it off if me. When I went down, most of the weight was taken by my right shoulder. I hurt and knew I'd be sore. After trying to walk it off, I got back on the bike and tried to get it the remaining 5 miles to the office. I couldn't do it.

I called the office and two guys came to get me- one rode the bike to the office, the other guy drove me there.

It took a bit to get my jacket off- moving my right arm was quite painful. The guy that ride the bike for me called his wife (a nurse.) She came in and told me she was sure I'd broken my collarbone. She took me to her hospital, and being brought in by her, I was given the VIP treatment- no waiting. She was right, except my collarbone was broken in two places.

I'm healing nicely. I'm hoping to be riding again by Christmas.

The bike held up well. I have to replace the side box for the air cleaner, the mirror, foot leg and rubber, and the heat shield for the exhaust. I'll have to repaint the front fender and handle bar weight. The tank got a decent sized ding as well, already repaired via paintless dent removal.

I ordered my parts today. All said and done, the bike will be fully repaired for less than $350- good as new.
Of course, I'll be doing it myself once I'm able.

So, all is well that ends well. I can't wait to get out of the sling and back on the bike.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:32:23 pm by HiFi Guy »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:48:50 am
bad news the bike suffered a bit of damage but very good news that you are well considering your injury and that you will be riding again by xmas.
bikes can always be repaired -not always the rider. best of luck and hope for a speedy recovery

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:24:25 am
  Our thoughts, prayers and wishes for you. Glad to hear your mostly o.k.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

bluesdaddy2

• Grease Monkey
  • aka Ross
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:08:32 am
Speedy recovery..........
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome/Black
1938 Harley-Davidson Model U (patiently waiting some TLC)
1975 HD Sportster (Gone but not forgotten)

Vergennes, VT
Ilion, NY

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:09:13 am
Double-broken collarbone to riding again in 5 weeks - that's not too shabby!  Glad you're ok...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:03 pm
I was riding to work two weeks ago and went to make a right turn into a gas station to pick up some bananas and a soda for breakfast. Turning into the station, I hit some gravel, and down I went. It happened so fast that I was up, and the next second, I was on my side, hands still on the bars, and feet on the pegs. I was wearing jeans, boots, helmet and leather jacket.
So, all is well that ends well. I can't wait to get out of the sling and back on the bike.

Glad you're OK. Now you don't have to worry about that first fall any more. And you learn something every time.

Broke my CB when I was 14 (1952) roller skating (roller skating was a big thing in 1952). Went to school two days before somebody convinced my mother it was broken. Left arm totally strapped down was no fun then. And yours is in two places? Ugh  :(

I hate fine sand in the Spring and leaves in Fall. Pig shit slippery
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 02:00:24 pm
I hate fine sand in the Spring and leaves in Fall. Pig shit slippery

And we've got a lot of both around these parts.  It sucks some of the joy out of taking the bike out of storage and getting back on the road after a long winter - shovelable piles of sand left over from a season's worth of icy-road treatment at every intersection and on every curve and shoulder...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51:44 pm
I'm so glad the damage was minimal to you and the bike. Serious kudos to your buddies!   They come get you, and your bike, and you get top tier medical?  I need more friends like that!

Heal quickly.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 03:20:00 pm
Sucks...for you and the bike, but just glad you're OK. Certainly doesn't hurt to have such good friends and a missus in the medical field!
Heal up, and looks like you'll have a somewhat merrier Xmas!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:48:16 pm
I've had my collar bone broken about 5 times. Also both shoulders and both knees are messed up. I raced MX when I was a teenager and had lots of injuries. I've also been injured several times during my life while doing dumb things on dirt bikes. I've quit doing things like that, but the damage has been done. The older I get, the worse it is going to get. I have a permanent limp, and use a cane about half the time.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 04:46:22 am
I'm glad you're (mostly) O.K., HiFi Guy!

I'm still fairly new to motorcycling, so thanks for the reminder to watch out for gravel and loose stuff on the road.

I also heard that spilled gas at the pumps, parking lot, and even the in and out ramps of a gas station can drop your bike instantly, so I'm watching out for that. 

It's great that you got such awesome help.  That's when you find who your friends really are!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 01:42:18 pm
Take it easy and you'll be riding again in no time!  Glad it wasn't any worse, some bike damage? Hmm time for some mods perhaps  ::)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 05:17:08 pm
That kind of a get off is called "A FART WITH A LUMP IN IT" ----Hopefully you will be all better in about six weeks---mend well my friend ~!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 08:23:04 pm
HiFi Guy - That's good news about healing up. Christmas is coming fast. Sounds like you've got epoxy bones! You've got a good perspective and good friends. Get a pic up here when you ride next.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 11:47:50 pm
Sorry you fell down, glad you bounced (more or less). Don't rush things it makes more trouble in the long run, I know. Heal up take it easy.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

mc35803

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 03:12:08 am
Best wishes on your recovery.  It sucks this time of year but I am glad it wasn't worse.
Miles

HiFi Guy

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 02:50:58 am
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm getting better every day.

The parts I need to make tge bike good as new arrive tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to a full recovery and getting back to riding.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 05, 2015, 10:38:29 am
Get well soon HiFi.

Let things heal a bit before fitting the new parts though I'd say.

adi-4004

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: December 07, 2015, 05:57:19 pm
Sorry you fell down. Good luck with your recovery!
New York Metropolitan Area

2014 C5 Military Green