Author Topic: Bullet starts easy, idles well, then dies after a few seconds  (Read 2038 times)

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Hi all, I hope everyone is well.

I've got the first problem with my iron barrel Bullet in quite some time. It was running like a top and I've made no adjustments or changes...this just suddenly happened.

The Bullet starts easily and has a good steady idle, then will die 15 seconds or so later. I thought it might be a fuel flow problem but its not. I cleaned out the carburettor but the problem persists. Sometimes it will idle for a longer period of time, but then it will die when I touch the throttle. It will also die when I put it in gear. Eventually I can get it stay alive long enough to engage 1st gear and then it runs just a smooth and powerful as it always has.

Im using the mikcarb with points ignition.
So, any ideas?

Joe
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:00:46 pm by jedaks »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:32:47 am
Just a guess, but it sure sounds like a fuel problem.

I'll assume the float chamber is about 1/2 full of fuel when you drop if off of the carb?  If there is much less than that, I would suspect the float or float valve.  Also, if the tank valve has a filter or there is one between the tank and the carb, it might be plugged up.

Disconnect the hose at the carb and turn on the fuel valve.  It should have a healthy flow.  If it just dribbles, that's the problem area.

If the float chamber is about 1/2 full and the fuel line is delivering a good flow of fuel, one of the jets in the carb is probably plugged.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jedaks

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:09:23 am
Thank you Arizoni for your help.
I removed all jets from the carby and blew everything out with WD40 and compressed air, but not change. I'll check the fuel filter line again.

darmst6829

• Grease Monkey
  • 206-355-7647
Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:11:02 pm
Hi all, I hope everyone is well.

I've got the first problem with my iron barrel Bullet in quite some time. It was running like a top and I've made no adjustments or changes...this just suddenly happened.

The Bullet starts easily and has a good steady idle, then will die 15 seconds or so later. I thought it might be a fuel flow problem but its not. I cleaned out the carburettor but the problem persists. Sometimes it will idle for a longer period of time, but then it will die when I touch the throttle. It will also die when I put it in gear. Eventually I can get it stay alive long enough to engage 1st gear and then it runs just a smooth and powerful as it always has.

Im using the mikcarb with points ignition.
So, any ideas?

Joe

Joe I have had this happen a couple of times on my two stroke Bultaco's. Look up "phase separation". Dump all the fuel and refill with non ethanol fuel. I hope this helps.