Author Topic: 1971 Velocette Thruxton - Jay Leno's Garage  (Read 13604 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 30, 2015, 12:06:36 am
I found this on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0TXrUKNIY Not a RE, but a vintage British single that was made in 1971. Beautiful bike. Look at that exhaust. That would look great on an Enfield, IMO. He refers to this as an "enthusiast's bike" several times. There were many more modern bikes available in 1971, but for me anyway, modern bikes are not really for enthusiasts. They are for those that just want to get on and go, and leave the servicing to a dealer. To me the Velocette is a lot like the Royal Enfield, which I also consider an enthusiasts bike. Actually the only one still made today. Japanese, European, and even Harleys are now so modern there is nothing to do but get on, click (or clunk) them into gear, and go. They are very difficult to work on. Most modern riders dislike Royal Enfields because of everything that is involved in owning, maintaining, and riding one.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:19:28 am
I found this on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0TXrUKNIY Not a RE, but a vintage British single that was made in 1971. Beautiful bike. Look at that exhaust. That would look great on an Enfield, IMO. He refers to this as an "enthusiast's bike" several times. There were many more modern bikes available in 1971, but for me anyway, modern bikes are not really for enthusiasts. They are for those that just want to get on and go, and leave the servicing to a dealer. To me the Velocette is a lot like the Royal Enfield, which I also consider an enthusiasts bike. Actually the only one still made today. Japanese, European, and even Harleys are now so modern there is nothing to do but get on, click (or clunk) them into gear, and go. They are very difficult to work on. Most modern riders dislike Royal Enfields because of everything that is involved in owning, maintaining, and riding one.
I just watched it again for the fifth or sixth time. What a bike! One of the handsomest (is the right word I think) motorcycles of all time in my opinion.
Thanks for posting.

Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:12:12 am
I found this on an episode of Jay Leno's Garage  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0TXrUKNIY Not a RE, but a vintage British single that was made in 1971. Beautiful bike. Look at that exhaust. That would look great on an Enfield, IMO.

You mean , like this one:

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:45:11 am
Yes, the only problem is where do you get one with the brackets to fit a Bullet?
Rocket

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 07:05:18 am
For a long time (in the U.K. anyway ) the Velo took second place to the Gold Star. The Velo may not be as versatile as the Goldie but is probably a better road bike, it also has an outrigger final drive sprocket, so no clutch dismantling for sprocket changes. Which is good, everything Mr Leno says about the clutch setting up is true.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 07:24:16 am
Regardless of what you think of them re Enfield being the only enthusiasts bike left being built, do Urals not fall into the same category.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:38 am
The Velo Thruxton wasn't introduced until 1965 by which time the glory days of the Goldie had passed. Having owned a Goldie and had two friends who owned Thruxtons I would say that the Goldie is less trouble. Both had very high first gears and neither was very practical. They are the sort of bikes that you go for a ride on but daren't leave for fear of theft. Both now fetch very high prices.

As for the RE being similar they are not in the same ballpark. By comparison they are poorly made (especially compared to the Velo which is a true engineer's bike), slow and lack street cred. They will never be worth the £20k upwards that either of the true British classics fetch.
 And no, a Ural is not in the same league as a BMW airhead either.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:20:46 pm

And no, a Ural is not in the same league as a BMW airhead either.
[/quote]
         ??
I have an Enfield because I'm enthusiastic about saving money. I got rid of my classic bikes partly because I hardly used them, and after witnessing what happened when a very close friend had an untimely death, all the vultures appearing out of the woodwork, and the pain and stress caused by them towards the remaining family. Depressing bit over.
I don't ride like a hooligan any more, so I don't need a fast bike. I understand the Enfield and as long I ride it within it's limitations is should last me for long enough. The way to get value for money out of an Enfield is pile on the miles. It will never be a classic in my mind also, but then neither should a Francis Barnett Fulmar.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 12:47:15 pm
They are nice old machines.

The muffler is a Brooklands silencer, and you can get one at Feked.
Might have to make your own bracket.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 01:00:34 pm
 Br. Malky I think you hit the nail dead on.
RE and Ural are the last of the enthusiasts bikes for enthusiasts. 

The classic bike scene is likely a bit different over there.
Over here classic Britt bikes left the enthusiasts world and crossed into the realm of investment collectible quite some time ago.

Shame really. A motorcycle looked at but not ridden ? object de'art. 

That said you can still see some of the classic collectibles being ridden if you attend a vintage race.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 01:16:05 pm
A friend of mine has a Vincent twin, it has evolved over 40 years ownership, various upgrades etc, it's fast and reliable, and is used in all but the worst of winter weather, the way it should be. Yet you always get these guys proclaiming its been ruined because it has MK 2 concentrics fitted etc.etc. (armchair enthusiasts).

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 01:52:57 pm
A reminder that Bullets may be modestly powered in stock form, but they respond to mods very well.

For, example, the F.A.B. (Fireball ASBO Bullet) 500 took 3rd Overall Place in season points this year in the 2015 British Historic Racing Championship Series, and ahead of all Manxes, Goldies, etc.
The only two machines to finish ahead of us were Seeley Matchless G50 short stroke bikes. The F.A.B. 500 has the long 90mm stroke like a stock Bullet. This was quite a feat to achieve, and it is the fastest Bullet 500 with std stroke length in the world, AFAIK. Only Steve Linsdell's short stroke 500 is faster, regarding Bullets.

So the point here is that while the "iconic " bikes were fast from the factory, the old Bullet can run with the best of them, and even beat them, when it comes to max effort competition.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 03:11:07 pm
One of the claims I've seen from Ace on the Fireball kits is the ability to hit the ton and cruise at 80 all day long, all while being reliable and starting on just a few kicks.  Don't get me wrong, that Velocette is absolutely beautiful and just as capable right out of the box, but as Ace says, you can make an RE do that too.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 03:30:02 pm
I grew up in the final years of the British bike industry.
The USA was the target country for sales so you got all the good stuff the Norton p11, Triumph twins, in desert racing trim,etc, while we got the dreary stuff to match our weather. The last of the pre unit Triumph twins were always my favorite. Velocette and Vincent's, where I grew up, were always a Gentleman's motorcycle rather than an enthusiasts, if that makes sense, they were owned by R.A.F. pilots and the like and were the "acceptable" motorcycle.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 04:00:14 pm
 It makes sense.  Over here the finer bikes were and are playthings for the affluent. I'd still like to have a Sunbeam or a Panther to ride like I'd stolen it. :D

I won't give up my Enfield though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:07:54 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.