Author Topic: What is your favorite helmet and why?  (Read 9709 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:59 pm
One of the funnier experiences I've had riding...

I was coming down Palomar Mountain on the fast side.  There was a biblical cricket infestation.  They looked like waves of yellow green splashing across the road.  I was in leather and a full face Arai, I had to keep wiping the face shield off as I slowly rode along.  Then coming the other way, I see a middle aged guy on a brand new HD in all brand new gear with an open face helmet and Ray Bans.  He was being mercilessly pelted in the face and looked to be quite uncomfortable from the pain.  When I finally pulled over I was dripping green bug guts. I did the best to squeegee myself off, clean my face shield, and continue on.  I have no idea why that other guy didn't just turn around and call it.  He looked absolutely miserable.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 03:39:32 pm
The Wild One was banned in the UK, on the grounds it would subvert the country's youth. The politicians didn't want anyone else getting in on the act.  :o :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 07:54:04 pm
It was a Triumph wasn't it?  Man I haven't seen that flex in a damned long time...   ::)

It was a thunderbird.

Thanks. Now I gotta find and watch it. Again.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 09:26:35 pm
Here is a link to the Motorcyclist article. Editor Dexter Ford was fired for publishing this article, as it upset high dollar helmet manufacturers who advertised in the magazine. Concidering the credentials of the testers, I accept this article as fact.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Articles/MotorcyclistHelmets.html
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 10:03:27 pm
...... I need a long narrow shell. I have a Prince of Wales head. When the shell fits right, it fits front to back without a lot of gap on the sides.

Same here : extra-oblong shaped head.  Like the Alien creature .......   in size 3XL.   I'm liking the Nolan N-44 (removed the chin guard)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 12:52:43 am
Here is a link to the Motorcyclist article. Editor Dexter Ford was fired for publishing this article, as it upset high dollar helmet manufacturers who advertised in the magazine. Concidering the credentials of the testers, I accept this article as fact.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Articles/MotorcyclistHelmets.html

Thanks for the link.  I've seen much of that information scattered around in snippets but never seen it all in one place with all the details.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #36 on: December 01, 2015, 11:34:14 am
It was a thunderbird.

Thanks. Now I gotta find and watch it. Again.
According to an online trivia forum the Triumph Brando rode in the film was his own bike.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #37 on: December 01, 2015, 03:29:28 pm
I regularly visit Weck's, a family-owned restaurant here. They have a lot of movie posters and photos all over the walls. One of them is of Brando on a red Guzzi. Don't know the model. I suspect the publicity shots were taken on more than one bike.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #38 on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:25 pm
+1 on the Bell Bullitt, which I've been using pretty much since they were released. I really like the protection of the full-face design, but the shielded area gives a *great* field of vision.

I did find that the front air vents tended to cause a whistle at certain speeds. I ended up blocking them from the inside with duct tape, as I couldn't stand the whistle.
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #39 on: December 01, 2015, 10:05:00 pm
That helmet has a HUGE field of vision, but is not a good fit for me :(

former_rider

• Bulleteer
Reply #40 on: December 01, 2015, 10:50:25 pm
I like the bell bullit. Don't have one yet however. Like it because it looks vintage and is full face. If someone could report on function and venting I would be thankful.

I've got a Biltwell Gringo S. I wanted the Bullitt, wanted to like the Bullitt, and tried the Bullitt. But something in the fit just didn't work for me. It had a couple of terrible pressure points on the forehead. Plus - on me at least - the Bullitt had an odd spaceman look. It looked like the helmet was oversized or the top was extra tall. Maybe I'm just too scrawny.

The Gringo S fits well and was a couple hundred cheaper. For reference, my prior helmet was a Shoei RF-1000 which fit well.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: December 01, 2015, 11:54:12 pm
The Bullit has a narrow chin bar.  You can see more of the wearer's face than most full face helmets.  I looked at the Biltwell helmets.  Also nice stuff and very affordable.  They fit me better than the Bullit.

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #42 on: December 04, 2015, 01:20:00 am
See my entry in "$20. Helmet thread".
Best Wishes, Craig McClure