Author Topic: What is your favorite helmet and why?  (Read 9707 times)

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 09:47:11 pm
I have three helmets- HJC Modular for highway travel and freeways, for clear vision and less noise.  Bell Magnum Automobile open face with short visor not DOT, but Snell foundation approved.  Very comfortable and somewhat quiet.  Great when temp's get over 90 or so degrees. Can get a ticket here in Kalifornia without the DOT.  And lastly an HJC half helmet for lounging around the neighborhood and enjoying the scenery and smells at slow speeds.  ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings regardless of what helmet you wear.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 09:56:24 pm
This may have changed, but it used to be that since the Snell foundation testing exceeded the DOT approval process, no DOT sticker was required.

But that goes well back into the 90s and may now be incorect.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 11:31:40 pm
Helmet truth.

Know what the difference between a 100 dollar and a 1000 dollar helmet is?

900 dollars.

The may be lighter. They may fit a bit better. The vent system may keep your helmet head at bay for a few more minutes...but they all have to pass the same impact and abrasion testing before it gets that DOT or Snell sticker on the back.

Fact.

+2.  If it's Snell or DOT approved, the difference in cost usually makes very little difference in how much it protects.  The most important feature is that it fits you well.  if it fits poorly, slides around, or gives you a headache, it will cause distraction.  Don't make it harder to ride your bike.

A good fitting helmet should be very snug but not uncomfortable.  Once on, if you move it around it should move the skin on your cheeks and forehead.  With the strap secured, you should not be able to roll the helmet forward off of your head.

I like to buy at a place that allows returns or at least exchanges.  Buy the helmet and leave all the stickers and tags on it.  Put it on, flip up the visor, and watch TV for an hour or so.  If it's still feels comfortable in an hour you have your new helmet.  If not, return it and try again.

All that said, if you go on long rides, the weight, vents, and how quiet it is matter a lot and can really help to reduce fatigue.

Scott

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:55 am
I spent the day in a high end small helmet factory in Italy once. It was interesting to me how they used different types of styrofoam like material in different parts of the helmets. Each was a different color in and out of the mold so they could see if it was done correctly.

One thing that makes a difference in comfort is how many different shell sizes a company uses. Some make their entire line with one outer shell and different sized interiors and others use multiple shells.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 12:33:55 am
My favorite helmet ?  I have 2 favorites.

When I ride B5, my favorite helmet is an ancient half-helmet with curtain that was originally CHiP gold when it was gifted to me by a friend in So. Cal.  He was a sheriff and said it was a full-custom job.  I've since repainted the fiberglass shell OD green with a clear-coat.  it looks great with goggles.

When I ride the Triumph my favorite is Nolan N44 in 3xL size with the ncom B5 audio module.  (bluetooth and FM rcvr)  the shell is uber light, and the faceshield is aero-neutral in ALL positions....  even fully flipped up @ highway speeds.......   its genius !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 01:07:01 am
In the 1960's in the U.K. you could buy a deer stalker(Sherlock Holmes) " helmet" , because they have the British Standards Institute kite mark, they are still legal to wear today. Whereas the Simson Star Wars helmet is not legal to wear on U.K. roads, apparently because the vents in the chin piece are too wide. :o :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 09:10:29 am
A shark flip that can turn into an open face by un-clipping the jaw.
Never use it as an open face it has a flip down sun visor and the most comfortable helmet I've had.
It's relatively cheap .compaired to the schuberth helmets I have and better for comfort.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 11:48:04 am
In the 1960's in the U.K. you could buy a deer stalker(Sherlock Holmes) " helmet" , because they have the British Standards Institute kite mark, they are still legal to wear today. Whereas the Simson Star Wars helmet is not legal to wear on U.K. roads, apparently because the vents in the chin piece are too wide. :o :)

Yeah, I should dig out my old Cromwell pudding basin and leather goggles from my old Goldie riding days...Maybe not. :)

When I started riding a crash helmet wasn't a legal requirement. Messed my shoulder length hair up too much though :)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 12:28:14 pm
You could always consider the Moby Cap.
Or perhaps The Pilot. :) good value at sixtyseven bob and a tanner.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:30:32 pm by malky »

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 01:04:48 pm
Hmmm, the lower one reminds me of one of the Village People; not a look I wish to cultivate..... :)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 01:14:48 pm
These guys are just leaving for a meet at the YMCA.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 01:26:43 pm
I think we were meant to be intimidated by Marlon's look... puh-leese:

Lee Marvin could have - would have - kicked his ass...

See?

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 10:10:45 pm
I don't have a favorite brand of helmet, but I don't buy expensive helmets just because of the name or Snell certification. I use full face non modular helmets. I have worn open face and beanie type helmets, but about 20 years ago I switched to full face only. I don't wear modular flip up helmets because I am afraid they might come apart in a crash. Main thing in a helmet for me is that it fit well. I'm currently wearing an HJC full face that I got from Motorcycle Superstore for $116.

I have been hit in the face with both a bird and what I think was a large rock, at about 80 mph (on the freeway). The rock, or whatever it was, broke my face shield, and almost knocked me off the bike. The bird didn't break the shield, but covered it with so much blood I couldn't see through it. Both times I would have been in big trouble, or probably dead, had I been wearing a shorty or open face helmet.

I have never crashed on a street bike, but have gone down plenty of times on dirt bikes. I now wear a full face street helmet on dirt bikes as well, not only for face protection, but for protection from dust. I had an open face dirt helmet with a chin bar and goggles, but I was choking on the dust we have here in the AZ desert.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 11:10:07 pm
After reading a review on BMWOA, I got a Nolan N-103. I updated to a N-104. At the time a Schuberth was $600. I tried one on at a BMW dealer's. It was a six hundred dollar helmet. Excellent. I thought the Nolan would be good enough. But, I could tell the Schuberth was better. Maybe I'll try a Shoei eventually.
  As Kevin was saying about shells, I need a long narrow shell. I have a Prince of Wales head. When the shell fits right, it fits front to back without a lot of gap on the sides.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 02:10:31 pm
Thanks. Matt.
I've always been amazed how many people "insist" that Brando was riding a HD in The Wild One.  ;)

It was a Triumph wasn't it?  Man I haven't seen that flex in a damned long time...   ::)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'