Author Topic: What is your favorite helmet and why?  (Read 9710 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: November 28, 2015, 06:57:25 am
If anyone would care to give their opinion, I am curious what is your favorite helmet, and why?

Are certain helmets are better for specific types of riding?

Any helmet thoughts in general?

I have an old full face "Riderz" helmet but I suspect it is crap for quality.  I may buy a nice full face, maybe one that hinges in front.  I also have a 3/4 face I've been using, and another one I just bought because it was on sale, it looks cool, and it says "Royal Enfield".  If it fits my head, I would enjoy wearing it, maybe just around town, and maybe wear a good full face for longer trips or higher speed riding? 

Should I always wear a full face helmet, or are there valid times, or reasons not to wear a full face?  Do I need a full face at all?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:02:02 am by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:17:17 am
I have 2 full face helmets. An Arai and an KBC high viz. The Arai is my favorite, it's a perfect fit, lightweight, and the internal lining comes out so you can wash it. I use it mainly for long distance riding. I use the KBC in town, being hi viz it gives the motorist something to aim at :) The Arai wasn't cheap ( around $570 ), but how much is your head worth?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:05:32 am by malky »
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Otto_Ing

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:15:27 am
I like the bell bullit. Don't have one yet however. Like it because it looks vintage and is full face. If someone could report on function and venting I would be thankful.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:17:29 am by Otto »

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 12:55:15 pm
I like the bell bullit. Don't have one yet however. Like it because it looks vintage and is full face. If someone could report on function and venting I would be thankful.

I've been rocking a Bullitt since they hit Australian shores well over a year ago now.
Pretty much my favourite helmet when commuting at speed on the freeway. (I use a Bell open face for weekend shenanigans)
Highly recommend them. Good quality, plenty of venting, low noise.
Sits snug on my big dome, padding very comfy.
My only grievance is the whistle when the visor is up.
I really like how they look, even though my daughter calls it a Lego helmet.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 01:29:41 pm
I always wear a full face helmet. You can see below the "Death Blows" to a helmet and notice over 1/4 are to the lower face? Ans a rock or big bug to the mouth hurts at speed.

I like the Shoei and HJC both fit me well and are DOT and Snell brands.

2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:55 pm
I don't have a favorite.  I do own 5 different helmets, and I wear them each for different occasions.  Half helmet for running errands around town.  Full face for extended rides and rainy or cold snowy weather.  Moto helmet for dirt and trail riding.  I also wear the moto helmet when riding my drift trike too.  They each have pros and cons. Just depends on my mood and the weather.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 02:37:00 pm
+1 on that; it depends what I'm riding. For distance and/or "pressing on" I wear a Shoei full face. This replaced a BMW flip up, a type (though not make) that I prefer because in hot weather in town it's nice to have the front open. I'll go for this type when I replace my Shoei, which I do every five years.

On the RE and my old pre-unit Triumph I wear an open front type with goggles that fit over my specs. I also wear my old Belstaff jacket. For me the RE is about jumping on and riding into town or around the local lanes when it's sunny and warm. Part of its charm is that I don't feel the need to dress like either a power ranger or Dayglo Derek when riding it. I don't bother with earplugs either on this one. It's amazing how much more "out there" I feel on the RE. By comparison with my more serious kit on and earplugs it's not a lot better than being in a car - less so than when I used to drive my MX5 with the hood down.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Otto_Ing

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 03:43:31 pm
I've been rocking a Bullitt since they hit Australian shores well over a year ago now.
Pretty much my favourite helmet when commuting at speed on the freeway. (I use a Bell open face for weekend shenanigans)
Highly recommend them. Good quality, plenty of venting, low noise.
Sits snug on my big dome, padding very comfy.
My only grievance is the whistle when the visor is up.
I really like how they look, even though my daughter calls it a Lego helmet.

Thanks for sharing that experience. Maybe your daughter will love the helmet and remember it in about 30 years and than she will realize what a cool dad she had  ;)

...i am getting one i think, have a daughter too.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 03:55:19 pm
If anyone would care to give their opinion, I am curious what is your favorite helmet, and why?

Are certain helmets are better for specific types of riding?

Any helmet thoughts in general?

I have an old full face "Riderz" helmet but I suspect it is crap for quality.  I may buy a nice full face, maybe one that hinges in front.  I also have a 3/4 face I've been using, and another one I just bought because it was on sale, it looks cool, and it says "Royal Enfield".  If it fits my head, I would enjoy wearing it, maybe just around town, and maybe wear a good full face for longer trips or higher speed riding? 

Should I always wear a full face helmet, or are there valid times, or reasons not to wear a full face?  Do I need a full face at all?

I have eleven helmets in all, nine of which I wear. They range from a barely legal low buck skid lid to a Shoei full face.  Why ? To match appropriately the environmental conditions, the weather conditions and the risk factors of the ride to be ridden.

I have been meaning to get a flip up.
 God forbid I should need CPR on a ride but I reckon my chances of receiving CPR would be improved if there was no need to remove a helmet first.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:36:38 pm
I've had a number of helmets over the years some I loved for the features,  some I loved for their quality, and any helmet that is comfortable and fits your own noggin is always awsome!  Currently  I have a Vemar Eclipse Metha night vision,  it is an extremely well made helmet with tons of ventilation, fits my smallish oblong skull perfectly and has the added benefit of glowing to add visibility at night and even in dull light conditions like overcast days. The only thing I  wish this helmet had was an interior drop down sun shade.
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 04:38:32 pm
I'm not brand loyal, I've owned Arai, Shoie, AGV, Bell, HJC.  As long as they're DOT/Snell or whatever euro spec is now current, I'm good.

But, I like designs.  My favorites?

AGO

ROBERTS

...and one design that has eluded me so far, but was by far my favorite.  To the point I had a plain white RF200 painted up...
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 05:56:39 pm
You can see below the "Death Blows" to a helmet and notice over 1/4 are to the lower face?

I just posted this image over in Narada's other thread.  It almost always starts and argument - hasn't here, though!  Yet...

Here's an interesting discussion regarding that image's use...

https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/visualrhetoric/projects/illustration-video/safety-in-numbers-dietmar-ottes-motorcycle-helmet-impact-diagram/

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 06:02:10 pm
Face vs. asphalt only ends one way.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 06:48:47 pm
Helmet truth.

Know what the difference between a 100 dollar and a 1000 dollar helmet is?

900 dollars.

The may be lighter. They may fit a bit better. The vent system may keep your helmet head at bay for a few more minutes...but they all have to pass the same impact and abrasion testing before it gets that DOT or Snell sticker on the back.

Fact.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 06:53:22 pm
+1 !
No matter where you go, there, you are.