Author Topic: Winterizing ... Any tips or special notes for the CGT?  (Read 4403 times)

VanHalenMan

• Y̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ WHITE is Faster
  • Bulleteer
  • 2015 Continental GT
on: November 27, 2015, 10:23:19 pm
My bike is in a garage, but it's not heated or cooled - or sealed very well for that matter. So it's basically just - covered. Any suggestions on storing it this winter?

Thanks!
www.donewhenimdead.com
2015 Continental GT

George Baker

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 01:36:47 am
Personally I just add "Stabil" to the gas tank then run it long enough so that I know the treated fuel is through the system. Some people recommend topping off the tank to prevent condensation within, but seeing that I store my bike inside (the house) I completely drain it. I also roll the piston up on TDC and then squirt a couple shots of motor oil into the spark plug hole. Last I pull the battery out, charge it, and put it up on the shelf. If my bike was going to be outside or have any chance of getting wet I would consider giving the metal work a coating of WD-40.

George Baker

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:17 pm
As per George, + I've got a large box fabricated out of 3" polystyrene insulation that encloses the bike with a 40 watt tube heater beneath the bike, it's worked fine for many years.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 04:53:02 pm
Don't forget to start the bike once or twice a week let it run until it's fully warmed up.  What us show car guys do once or twice a week if we don't get our cars out and drive them for a long period of time. You might even want to put the bike on the center stand while it's warming up and run through the gears just to keep the transmission in good working order. You don't have to rev the engine up or anything. Just feather the clutch and run through the gears a few times.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 06:13:45 pm
Don't forget to start the bike once or twice a week let it run until it's fully warmed up.  What us show car guys do once or twice a week if we don't get our cars out and drive them for a long period of time. You might even want to put the bike on the center stand while it's warming up and run through the gears just to keep the transmission in good working order. You don't have to rev the engine up or anything. Just feather the clutch and run through the gears a few times.

Not sure if I agree with that (much to the eye rolling that will ensue).  I mean, you live in a climate where there's really no need to stop RIDING, let alone winterizing.

It would be beneficial to pull the battery and hook it to a battery tender (check), stabilize any fuel that is in the tank (check) and let the bike run for a while to get it through the pump and injector/throttle body (check).  The only other preparation I'd say is a good idea is to change out the oil, so you flush out the gunk accumulated within while getting your last few rides in.

But starting it a couple times a week just isn't all that practical up here where numbers go negative a whole lot.

Hell, I don't start the bikes a couple times a week during the summer.  I'm not home that frequently!

Instead, in addition to the above stuff, pulling the plug and giving a little gulp of some sort of oil to "fog" the top end would be more beneficial.

Even then, since the EFI is more of an "on demand" system (in comparison to the ancient and archaic carbonator) stabilizing the fuel works more to preserve the fuel, than keep the intake system free of crap.

Of course, YRMV, but this or close to has worked well for a lot of years FOR ME.  I do find that during the storage months, I miss my little machines and need reason to visit them...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:20:29 pm by Farmer_John »
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

la_r3_cgt_rider

• Bulleteer
  • I ride in San Diego
Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:50:07 pm
Move to Southern California so you don't need to "winterize" it.
2014 RE-CGT – Pegasus
San Diego, CA

Otto_Ing

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:03:24 pm
Move to Southern California so you don't need to "winterize" it.

It would be a perfect place, only disadvantage seems to be that it is in the iron grip of the environmentalists.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:14:39 pm by Otto »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 01:29:14 pm
Install knobby tires, change oil to 5W-30, and keep riding.  That's how I've always winterized.   ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 07:44:44 pm
Not sure if I agree with that (much to the eye rolling that will ensue). 

You don't agree with much do you?
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 11:11:42 pm
You don't agree with much do you?

I always ere to the side of logic, common sense and sometimes brutal honesty.

I haven't shown the third one yet. This forum is generally too nicey nicey for that.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 08:55:52 am
Truth is built on logic, logic is built upon facts, facts are built upon observations and believes.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 09:01:47 am by Otto »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 11:12:55 am
 This forum is generally too nicey nicey for that.
[/quote]
And the forum is the better for it. :)
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 11:59:33 am
A-men, brother!

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 04:12:43 pm
A-men, brother!

As I sit here this morning watching the news, after a week of dealng with the local utility company and thier easment antics, a grocery chain who is trying to do everything they can to turn an access drive, to some property I own, into thier private parking lot and a painter who actually cost me more in damges than he is attempting to bill me for (while he tries to tell me he is a man of G_d, so I got good deal) ...... the last thing I want is "brutally honest".

If you want brutally honest FJ, go back on the road, or cyber travel to one the many troll traps that occupy way to much of the Internet, but let us keep our little bit of peace that we have here.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 04:53:57 pm
Bingo !

Metaphorically speaking we are all hanging out on Kevin Mahoneys patio free of charge. This place is family friendly enough that my friends kids lurk on occasion. Our forum brothers and sisters are exemplary in our conduct here.

No matter where you go, there, you are.