Author Topic: RE Helmets for $20.00  (Read 7140 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: November 27, 2015, 07:58:00 pm
I just ordered a new helmet from enfieldgear for a black friday price of $20.00 + $20.00 shipping.  It was the flat red with white checkerboard down the center.  They also have a continetal GT medallion the side.  I'm hoping that's a removable sticker since I ride a C5 but if not, that's o.k. too.

They also have black which I would have bought also for that price, but it's a little risky because I've found size varies greatly between manufacturers... so, I can't be sure any helmet will fit without trying it on first.   

The helmet I currently have is good, but it seems a little space age looking to me compared to my awesome classic motorcycle.  I've also just been looking for one that is more fun (less uptight) looking. 

There was a post somewhere in which Kevin states that the RE helmet line is a very good quality helmet which is important.  He mentions the manufacturers name but I don't recall it now.  I just made a mental note that they are good, if I ever got one.

There are also nice leather coats on sale for $50.00 but not in my size.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:19:08 pm
AGV helmet Narada, I've got the flat red one. It's comfortable. The only thing I don't like is when you wear it after years of full face helmets, you get a cacophony of mechanical noise transmitted to your ear holes. It looks a bit daft riding my battle green.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:14:47 pm
Thanks Malky,
My current helmet is a 3/4 face so this should be similar.  I also have an old full face, metallic red helmet from my ('70 Challenger, 440 six pack) drag racing days. 

I've never ridden with the full face yet since I got some spray paint over-spray on the face shield a while back.  I got most of it off, but I really need a new one.  Someday I'll see if I can find one on the internet then give the full face a try.  Meanwhile I'll look forward to my new $20.00 fun helmet,  I hope it fits my head...

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:38:05 am
May be safer wearing the box it comes in!

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 05:45:52 am
But how will I keep all of the foam peanuts from falling out?

But seriously, you must be referring to the difference from a safety perspective, of 3/4 face vs. full face? 

I have wondered a lot about this, and I will be trying my full face helmet very soon to see if it feels o.k. for me.  One thing I am doing is finding what helmet I like best. 

Currently, I don't go on any freeways so my speed is under 50 mph and usually more like around 35.  I've also always had a natural talent for tumbling when I come off of things and have a good spacial awareness too.  My present crash strategy is to not land, or slide on my face.  These help, but I know anything could happen, and when I get blind sided by a little old lady in a Cadillac, I may wish I had better protection.

So, other than having your face exposed, is there anything else that is a problem with the  3/4 face or less than full face design?  I have also considered the newer full face that hinges upward at the front.  One thing I don't want is the helmets with electronic distractions like cell phone and google etc... built in.  That might be o.k. for someone who is very experienced, but I have under 700 miles on my bike and it is my first one. 

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:04:31 am
Narada, I like the "fun" helmet bit. There's a company in the U.K. who advertise their non EU approved helmets as "novelty helmets".
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:11:52 am
I prefer quality fun.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 05:50:42 pm
My present crash strategy is to not land, or slide on my face.

;D

It almost always starts an argument, but I like to post this graphic in conversations like this one, from the "famous" Hurt report...

And here's an interesting discussion about the image and its use...

https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/visualrhetoric/projects/illustration-video/safety-in-numbers-dietmar-ottes-motorcycle-helmet-impact-diagram/

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 05:57:04 pm
As has been pointed out they are AGV helmets. They are a good helmet. Sizing is true to AGV. In other words if one AGV size fits you at your dealer the corresponding size in the RE helmet will fit. As for full face versus 3/4 helmet discussion I will leave that to you
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:17 pm
 The Hurt report was written so long ago it may not be the bees knees anymore.

Two things that hurt (no pun intended) it's credibility then and will forever:
(1) it was  paid for by the DOT
(2) the data was gathered in an area of California only, during a time when massive numbers of new riders were first taking to the roads.

Things have changed since then too.

Here's a look at some more recent numbers from data gathered countrywide.
by the Insurance Institute for Highway safety http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/motorcycles/fatalityfacts/motorcycles

And here's a link to the European study of the 218 selected accidents that helmet graph above was first published in.
http://www.smf.org/docs/articles/hic/Helmeted_MC_JTrauma.pdf
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:29:05 pm by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 07:19:20 pm
Would you at least consider a flip up ?

Reason I ask is wearing a traditional full face guarantees you will not be receiving CPR from any witnesses or passers by if you need it.
 You will not receive it at least until after EMS arrives however long that may or may not take.

A flip up protects the face from abrasion no differently than traditional full face but more importantly it gives passersby a chance to save your life.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 07:30:39 pm
Would you at least consider a flip up ?

Reason I ask is wearing a traditional full face guarantees you will not be receiving CPR from any witnesses or passers by if you need it.
 You will not receive it at least until after EMS arrives however long that may or may not take.

A flip up protects the face from abrasion no differently than traditional full face but more importantly it gives passersby a chance to save your life.

This is the first time I've heard this "argument" - interesting thought.  Wonder if passersby will know how to raise the faceplate?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 07:58:56 pm
 Matt It's not an argument it's a plea.

Personally I don't care what anyone wears, that's for them to decide what makes them feel safe.

The only thing worse than to stand by watching someone die when it could have been averted is the loss of the life itself.

There is no logical reason why a flip up should make anyone feel less safe than a traditional full face.

Affixing an "open here" label is a very good idea ! 

Please consider that as well as a blood group label.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:22:04 pm
More than likely a passerby who is motivated to do an older version of CPR would probably remove a regular full face OR modular helmet. That may open up a new can of worms (spinal cord damage).
The latest version of CPR focuses on chest compressions only. 
http://thehealingcodes.com/simple-life-saving-new-cpr-technique/

I doubt that because "do not remove the helmet you could cripple the victim, leave that for the paramedics" is stressed in first aid and CPR classes.

Speaking of which, Medium and big businesses have a requirement to maintain a percentage of employees current in CPR. The military forces and federal employees refresh on CPR and first aid annually, they have for years. Many state and municipal employees do too. Every veteran of the last 4 decades had to learn CPR and first aid to graduate basic or boot camp. Add to that all the good samaritans who have taken the training and I think the number of people capable of giving CPR is a lot higher than we might be inclined to think at first blush.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:24:32 pm by Ice »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:03 pm
Thanks for those links they look great and I will watch them this afternoon.

What I am seeing from the chart is the high percentage areas may be dangerous due to the angle of hit regardless of helmet type.  Human necks bend pretty well in the forward direction, but backward can kill or paralyze.  This is the angle of hit I've seen in American football that causes bad damage to the players.  Uppercuts in boxing, or chin jabs in combat fighting can easily damage vertebrae and spinal chords.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions, this is important knowledge to have.