Author Topic: Differences between US and Australian wiring looms?  (Read 1975 times)

Quarterwit

• Scooter
on: November 27, 2015, 11:25:03 am
Well, I've called three Royal Enfield dealers here in Australia to get a new loom for a 2012 Desert Storm, but none have returned my calls.

So I'm looking to buy one from the US, where customer service is still apparently alive and well!

But before doing so I thought I'd check in and see if there are any differences between a US model loom and an Australian one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:02:12 pm
I thought you would have taken the offer up from our host weeks ago ::)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:19:54 pm
Yea there are, the one for Oz drives on the other side of the road.  ;D

I don't know and I doubt there are but better find someone who knows for sure. God Luck.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 04:51:05 pm
This UK website lists the main loom for £275.

http://www.motoeparts.co.uk/prod/royalenfield/Bullet_Classic_C5/Frame/WIRING_HARNESS

I can't see there would be any difference in the wiring loom between any of the export models.

Hitchcocks might be able to advise you and you can guarantee a speedy reply too!

John

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:10:23 pm
   The parts book that I'm looking at , shows the same part numbers for all export C-5's.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:28:46 am
just out of interest did you call eurobrit in melb?

Quarterwit

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:33:32 pm
Yep - didn't hear back. Apparently RE Australia lists three part numbers for the loom and the dealers don't know which to order.

I was hesitating pulling the trigger on a US model loom because our dollar is so damn bad - with shipping added it gets damn expensive!

I was also reluctant because I know some older bikes have differences between wiring looms - I think ADR's were different way back when we had constant-running headlights or... something like that.

Looks like it might have to be the US then!

(And props to our hosts' customer service. They've been exceptionally quick and helpful with enquiries!)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 06:08:04 pm
There are many differences between RE looms for similar models. When we sell one we really need to know more about the model, year etc. You CANNOT rely on the parts book other than to narrow down what you need. They are often times wrong before they are published. There are several part numbers that RE uses for seemingly the same model. I would not purchase a harness (or many other RE parts) without knowing that the seller knew what they were doing. We have had to learn mostly by trial and error. The outdated, varying and sometimes outright wrong part numbers published by RE are a nightmare for the layman. We have one guy who does almost nothing else but translate published part numbers into what the customer really needs. He is a savant of sorts (Tim). Hard as they try most dealers have no way of knowing what is right and what is wrong. They must rely on a good distributor to help them through the morass.

There should not be any differences between Aussie bikes and US bikes. The one difference is not a big deal and that is the small jumper harness in the US models that keep the lights on full time. You don't needs it hence our harness without the jumper will bolt right up to an Aussie bike. The main difference is between indian products and the rest of the world, with EFI being the main difference.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 07:28:10 pm
We have one guy who does almost nothing else but translate published part numbers into what the customer really needs. He is a savant of sorts (Tim).

The main difference between US and Australian parts supply is, we have Tim.   8)