Author Topic: No thump Himalayan  (Read 19373 times)

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:02:37 pm
I see that it is to be oil-cooled too, by which I assume they mean the cylinder head, like the oilhead BMWs and pre l/c Suzukis. It'll be interesting to see whether it'll pass the forthcoming Euro IV emissions. I guess also that it's a short-stroke motor as neither ohc nor balance shafts per se would necessarily eliminate the "thump" so much as vibration; they are not the same thing.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 11:36:17 am
Just another short stroke high revving engine single design currently available from any other motorcycle manufacturer. It's the long stroke slower revving motor that sets RE apart from everyone else. I didn't buy any of my RE's for the name on the tank or their heritage.
 I've bought them not because of what do but the way in which they do it.
 If this is the direction RE are heading then my next purchase will definitely be coming from another manufacturer.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Otto_Ing

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 11:58:08 am
I don't see anything on this bike which would make me want to buy one, nothing special nothing unique and technically worse than competition. This does not feel to be the way to build a brand or image. If it is going to make money atleast remains to be seen but I think against KTM and co. it will be hard.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 12:48:43 pm
 The new lump may be over square, square or under square.
The truth is we don't know the bore x stroke combination and RE isn't telling just yet.

I'll hold hope that it is at least square or little under for a flatter more usable power curve.

Lord knows we don't need another short stroke peaky power curve Ricky racer wannabe machine when the the market is full to the brim with them already.

One can only assume Mr. Lal, RE and Eicher group would be aware of this.

If the Himalayan is to be a success in the environment where it's name implies then it had better be at least as good a plodder as the Bullet.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 01:21:02 pm
It is lower rated power than the current GT.

I think this indicates that the revs will not be too much higher than the GT. So, I suspect that the stroke will still be fairly long in modern terms.

I am not much interested in this bike, so I don't feel very passionate about what kinds of attributes it has. It seems like a "me too" wannabe bike to me, just filling a void in the model line to compete with other mfrs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 01:54:57 pm
...mfrs? can someone educate me pls?

EDIT: Got it! ...its friday, brain is shutting down slowly  ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:08:42 pm by Otto »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 02:22:29 pm
 I hope it has a broad flat useful torque curve. The impressive numbers generated by the  high rev lumps in the current crop of ADV bikes might make for good sales interest but easy smooth torque is what wins the day when your picking your way through rock gardens. 

If the still under wraps twin cylinder machine turns out to be meh, there's room in my shed for a go anywhere do anything utility bike.

Otto_Ing

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:36:17 pm
The article says 28 hp vs. 29 hp on the Conti. so how much faster will it turn, not more than 7000 rpm i think. 125cc less...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:39:29 pm by Otto »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 05:27:07 pm
As long as they keep making the Bullet there is no reason they shouldn't try to be competitive in other bike segments. I hope the have perfected the better terminal/clamp by now. 

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:38:05 pm
Market share, market share, market share...

RE needs to diversify to keep growing.  It's the only way they'll be able to keep building the bikes we enjoy.

That said, there's not an ADV segment bike I have an interest in.

I would, however, have a keen interest for a roadster in either single or twin guise with the Harris GT frame and a roomier, more upright seating position.  I believe the GT would be as or more successful with standard bars and without the rearsets.

Let it rev, or let it plod...
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Otto_Ing

Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 05:38:36 pm
...that is the big question. Is this bike competitive? Enduros are not an exclusive market segment like the bullet is trading in. I doubt it...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 05:40:49 pm by Otto »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 06:45:03 pm
If you forget about the "name on the tank" and brand loyalty, the concept of the Himalayan interests me solely as a "tool bike". I've done a lot of off road riding, usually where their at no tracks, which couldn't be done comfortably, if at all on the current range of monster adventure tourers. Sure their are small capacity KTM's and the likes but as I found with a Kawasaki KLX 250, there are plenty of exterior hoses to get ripped off when travelling through wild scrubland, and radiators. The best two bikes I have owned for using off road were the original Honda XL 250 followed by The original Yamaha XT 500. With all the unnecessary ancillary equipment removed they were just about "crash proof". I came off loads of times without sustaining anything that left me immobile. Two bikes I haven't owned which possibly would have been better were the original Yamaha DT 175 MX monoshock and the Suzuki DR 350. So an " unfussy" basic bike like the Himalayan appeals to me. From some of the photos I've seen so far the dash looks hideously unnecessary. I haven't been to many motocross meets for a while, but I can't ever remember seeing the Maico 440's and the likes having a rev counter. Simple Speedo with trip, is all that is required, but techno gadgetry is now the must have norm, so I suppose I'm an old git living in the past, but I'm still seriously considering one, after a test ride of course.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Otto_Ing

Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 06:56:52 pm
So there might be a market for this bike after all....I prefer the distinctive look of the XT500 however, that was a really good looking offroad bike.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 07:03:29 pm
 Maybe I'm wrong but the ADV market seems to be populated at one end of the spectrum by bikes that are big, heavy, multi cylinder and/or expensive while the other end seems to be full of license-able enduro race bikes or expensive offshoots.

It's doubtful the Himalayan would go head to head with either of those archetypes.

A fairly simple affordable middleweight with forgiving characteristics and good fuel economy an under served niche. That just might sell.