Author Topic: Lovely, I hate Microsoft updates.  (Read 3020 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:12 pm
Got back from a nice ride today, a bit chilly but not too bad. I walked in and noticed both my computer were updating Windows 10 to a new version. Took over and hour to finish and now my network is broken and I get the fun of getting it back up and running.  >:(

Maybe I'll just go back out for a bit longer on the bike...say until June.  ;D
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:47:47 pm
What do think of Windows 10, besides the present update issue?

We are still using 8 and 7. At present I see no need to update.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:50:53 pm
They do this update shit with my Apple phone, screws it all up. Had the same problem with my Ipad. That sucker went onto the trash bought a 10" Kindle works great.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 10:43:56 pm
Got back from a nice ride today, a bit chilly but not too bad. I walked in and noticed both my computer were updating Windows 10 to a new version. Took over and hour to finish and now my network is broken and I get the fun of getting it back up and running.  >:(

Maybe I'll just go back out for a bit longer on the bike...say until June.  ;D

I had that friggin' Windoze 10 icon down in my toolbar for months telling me "You really should update. If you were "smart" you would". I won't be told I "need" something by an icon I didn't solicit and can't delete. Just like I won't answer ANY telemarketer or politician who calls me.

Windows 7 Professional has been fine with me since it came out and I know it well.
I think people with many different types of devices might need 10 way more than I do.

But I'm a dinosaur ;) ....   ;D

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 11:34:43 pm
I've been running Windows from 3.1 for Work Groups, 98 SE, XP, 7 (stayed far away from 95, Vista and 8) Without much trouble. I kind of like 10 other than being blindsided with the update thing today. BTW my network is back up. Now I don't think Windows 10 is to die for. I ran Linux for years and was happy as a clam doing so until I need software that wasn't ported to Linux and I got sick of the PITA of running an emulator stack that would crash all the time.

I will say that Windows 10 has been remarkably free of problem for me, I had one software issue but found a work a round (old Money Plus Deluxe) and now it works fine. I've had less problem than with any other version of Windows I've run.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 11:40:31 pm
I am very fortunate in not needing any elaborate software, just browser, multimedia and Libre Office. Thus far Xubuntu Linux is doing a good job. I took Windows 7 off some time ago and have had no urge to re-install it.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 12:20:06 am
I have Windows 7 "Ultimate" and have no complaints. I get no try Windows 10 message.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:38:28 am
You folks sure are ahead of me with those fancy new systems.

I'm still running Windows XP and it's running great.

I'm seldom bothered by Microsoft to up date my system anymore and that seems to be a goodness. :)

I'm not totally out of date though.  I just bought a XBox One so I could run Fallout 4.  :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:11:21 am
Windows 10 sucks, and it is full of Microsoft spyware and back doors with key-loggers and every kind of built-in malware that they could put in.
People are not wanting it, so MS is now "updating" the earlier Windows versions like 7 and 8 by replacing them with Windows 10 in what appears to be regular updates. Once they have 10 in there, the older versions are gone, and you are stuck with it.

It's all about data mining as much information out of you as they can get now.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 04:29:32 pm
Anyone running Windows 7, or 8 who has the "Upgrade to Windows 10" nagging icon in their system tray can remove it by uninstalling Windows Update KB3035583.

Cheers,

Dan K.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:01:12 pm by DanKearney »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 05:39:09 pm
Anyone running Windows 7, or 8 who has the "Upgrade to Windows 10" nagging icon in their system tray can remove it by uninstalling Windows Update KB3035583.
[/size]
[/size]Anyone who is still running Windows XP might want to consider a change.  Since XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, any exploits uncovered since the date they stopped supporting it have not been patched, and your system is not secure.  Are you accessing any back or credit card accounts from that computer? 
[/size]
[/size]I work in the I.T. department at a small university.  We started getting XP targeted attacks within hours after Microsoft stopped supporting it.
[/size]
[/size]Cheers,
[/size]
Dan K.

That post must have been typed on an XP computer...   :P

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 11:28:58 pm
I've built my computers from scratch for years now.
Started with Work Groups 3.1 (useless) and DOS. Learned how to create config.sys and batch files due to necessity. Been through the horror of W95 and 98SE, absolutely skipped Millenium, loved XP for its stability, absolutely skipped Vista, and have been quite happy with W7 Pro.
Would love to install an unused disk of pro on my laptop used for streaming movies, as W8 sucks enough to clue me that W10 won't be much better. Especially with all the data mining crap they threw in.
I maintain good firewalls, and run several security programs sequentially and regularly, and since I'm VERY careful about where I go on the web and don't open e-mails from entities I don't recognize I've rarely had a problem with malware.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

DanKearney

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 11:01:38 pm
That post must have been typed on an XP computer...   :P

Ubuntu

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
2012 Kawasaki Versys

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 12:56:48 am
I used to build my own computers, but quit when I switched to laptops. I no longer have a desktop, I have 3 laptops. XP Professional on two of them, Windows 7 on the newest one. I searched for weeks to find a new laptop with Windows 7, almost everything had gone to Windows 8 when I started looking. I finally found one on Amazon and grabbed it. So far it works fine. I don't have an icon on mine, but I do get a pop up once in a while telling me I should upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft said they would support Windows 7 till at least 2020, but it looks like they may have changed their mind. I had no serious problems with 95, 98, ME, XP, and 7. Vista and Windows 8 were terrible.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson