Author Topic: Oddities.  (Read 93722 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 09:00:45 am
Megola,no clutch or gears, front wheel radial engine. I read a modern/recent road test, carried out by a respected bike journalist. He said it was the most terrifying experiences he had encountered on any motorcycle he had ridden.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 12:04:10 pm
Are those little triangular jobbies (dead-center of the pic) the foot rests?

Now THAT'S a cruiser!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 12:29:42 pm
Megola,no clutch or gears, front wheel radial engine. I read a modern/recent road test, carried out by a respected bike journalist. He said it was the most terrifying experiences he had encountered on any motorcycle he had ridden.

It certainly is an incredible piece of work as a "machine", isn't it?  It's the kind of thing I could sit in a lawn chair and just stare at the details for a whole afternoon. It just puts a smile on my face as all bikes from 1900 to the '50s and '60s do. Thanks for that picture. I've looked at thousands of old bikes and that's a new one on me  :) 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 01:08:44 pm
I love this I'm assuming by the primary cover there's a Harley lurking underneath?

Yes there is a sporster lump powering it.  Beautifully crafted bike btw.
Several of us  Washington Bullet Owners got to oogle and ahh over it at the antique and vintage motorcycle festival held at the Lemay in Tacoma a couple years back.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 03:56:43 pm
Looks like you have to reach into the two holes to get the bars in hand so to speak. I'd hate to be handcuffed like that if thing take a turn for the worse.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 06:54:16 pm
Mattsz I don't know what the triangular bits are. I gave away the magazine that had the road test and from memory I think the rider's feet were on the foot boards further back. What was particularly intriguing was how the thing was fueled, because the cylinders rotated with the wheel.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 07:44:25 pm
I found a video of it in action. Kind of loud but how do put a muffler on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Cq49IDfOc
2012 Kawasaki Versys

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 08:09:55 pm
Thanks for posting the link. I wonder what the gyroscopic effect of that front wheel would be like at high speed?

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 10:10:14 pm
I can't say but the WWI fighters that use the Gnome Rotary Radial often had the left wing built longer than the right wing to help offset the torque. Some were so hard to fly that more men died learning to fly them than in combat with them. The crank shaft on the motor was bolted to the air frame and the prop to the case and, just like the motorcycle, the whole motor spun. The other thing was they had no carburetor as we know it just an spark interrupter that fired all the time, half the time or less. So it was full bore ahead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq78ZocOAkY

2012 Kawasaki Versys

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 10:58:06 pm
I can't say but the WWI fighters that use the Gnome Rotary Radial often had the left wing built longer than the right wing to help offset the torque. Some were so hard to fly that more men died learning to fly them than in combat with them. The crank shaft on the motor was bolted to the air frame and the prop to the case and, just like the motorcycle, the whole motor spun. The other thing was they had no carburetor as we know it just an spark interrupter that fired all the time, half the time or less. So it was full bore ahead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq78ZocOAkY

Just look at the torque twisting that plane on startup.  And that takeoff run... about 100 feet?

They've got an original 1917 Gnome engine in running condition, in a static mount, at my favorite local transportation museum... they run it at summer events.  Holy $hit is that thing ever loud!

http://owlshead.org/collections/detail/1917-gnome

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 06:55:22 am
Picture 1.
This three wheeled fabric bodied beauty is a Velorex car, which is a Jawa 350 two stroke twin engine and rear end grafted onto a two wheeled front. Apart from your backside being dangerously close to the ground, that two stroke twin was inches away from your ears.
Picture 2
While the Czechoslovakian's had the wonderful Velorex, their east German cousins had the 50cc Simson.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2015, 01:03:44 pm
Rotary engined Dnepr.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 09:59:49 pm
How would you fancy doing a plug chop on this ?

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 01:08:14 am
I never had a thing for the type of motorcycles built by Jesse James and OCC. They are nothing but rolling sculptures, they are uncomfortable, have huge engines and tiny gas tanks, and the frames drag when turning corners. I don't mind a little style, but for me a motorcycle has to be practical and functional. A motorcycle built simply to be an oddity is worthless to me. If you want to see a truly UGLY production motorcycle, take a look at the Honda NM4. Hard to believe anyone would actually ride that thing.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 07:16:50 am
From the country that brought you " fashion and function " in the shape of the Wolkswagen Bettle, this beauty. Front wheel drive, monocoque chassis, found in Germany at the end of WW2, then disappeared. I wonder who " nicked it" ? That looks like a GI sitting on it

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream