Author Topic: Cold weather gas gauge  (Read 5904 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 07:43:26 pm
In my parents' time when cars were harder to start on cold day (even those kept in a garage ), you could buy electric heaters that you stuck under the engine of your car, just to keep the temperature up a few degrees, and prevent the engine and gearbox oil oil from being to syrup-like in the morning. It worked well, but it assumed you had a power socket in your garage. My brother continues the tradition to this day with his motorbike.

I grew up in Wyoming in the '40s and '50s. My mom always had a heater on her various car engines and later so did I. They ranged from simple small kerosene heaters or lamps, to electric block heaters, to dipstick heaters and electric elements that spliced into radiator hose and created a heat siphon that kept the whole engine toasty; instant heater in the morning. They were the best. We never had a garage or shed that 20 years and the roads did NOT get plowed like they do now. I was an expert at tire chains by 10 years old.
Best heater I ever had was the gasoline Southwind in my '40 Ford.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/1940-ford-heater
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:52:22 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:41 pm
Of course cleaning and wax are important.....but isn't the bigger issue that there is probably condensation happening inside the tank ??

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 10:25:52 pm
If you have power in the shed, would a light bulb (treble light) near or under the bike raise the dew point and reduce the condensation? 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 02:54:32 am
Leaving on an incandescent light bulb would cause some heat to be created.  In a non-insulated 8'X14' shed that would do something but I'm not sure how much.  Fluorescent or LED would make much less heat.  I also wondered about a germination mat for plants.  It's sort of a door mat that plugs in and makes some heat for anything above it. I also just happen to have one.  Maybe I'll try that for now?

As far as condensation in the tank... Some say to always keep a gas tank full in the winter to prevent that.  There are additives too that you can use not only to (somehow) prevent water from accumulating in fuel due to condensation, but also to prevent modern ethanol fuel from becoming varnish in your fuel system when anything with a gas tank is stored for long.  I haven't needed them yet but I am considering some Seafoam or equivallent soon.

Not long ago I had a nice big shop but things change.  Now I'm just thankful to have a dry shed for my bike.  I do have a one car garage but that is occupied by my '68 Dodge Charger (yea, it's got a hemi).  There is only inches in front, behind, and on the sides to spare. 

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 12:45:54 pm
Of course cleaning and wax are important.....but isn't the bigger issue that there is probably condensation happening inside the tank ??

I've wondered about this - how much condensation is really happening inside that tank under these circumstances?  The thermal mass of the fuel keeps the tank cooler than the air surrounding it, so moisture gathers on the outside surface of the tank - only up to the fuel level.  No fuel in the top half of the tank, no condensation on the top half of the tank.

Inside the tank, there is no air below the top of the fuel level, so no condensation forms there.  The air above the fuel level probably doesn't change as quickly as the surrounding outside air, regardless of whether the outside air is getting colder or warmer, but without the mass of the fuel to help maintain the temperature, the metal of the tank above the fuel changes temperature to match the ambient air much more quickly, so condensation is minimal?  As seen in the photo...

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 02:51:51 am
              Yes. Arizoni's right. It's all in the dew point and the temperatures of the various pieces of stuff that are in the enclosure.
Actually, he is only partially correct. The condensation (dew) will form when the surface temp falls below the dew point...not when the dew point falls below ambient temp. Dew point is almost always below ambient temp. But, he is correct that the fuel is cooling the tank moreso then the air inside the tank is. I wouldn't think this is a common occurance, as the conditions (surface and ambient temp and dew point) all have to be related to each other as described, for dew to form. Perhaps a fan to circulate the warmer air in the shed will help warm the fuel, thus preventing this? It undoubtedly would help warm that surface area being cooled by the fuel. Just a thought...

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: November 26, 2015, 03:01:31 am
I wouldn't think this is a common occurance, as the conditions (surface and ambient temp and dew point) all have to be related to each other as described, for dew to form.

It's a very common occurrence - for me - especially in late winter/early spring.  It's cold overnight, and I get cold, dry air in my unheated, uninsulated garage.  In the morning, if the outside air warms up and becomes more humid... open the door, the warmer humid air enters the garage, and voila!  cold weather gas gauge...

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 03:05:13 am
Perhaps a fan to circulate the warmer air in the shed will help warm the fuel, thus preventing this? It undoubtedly would help warm that surface area being cooled by the fuel. Just a thought...

How about .. a fan-heater?

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #23 on: November 26, 2015, 04:32:06 am
It's a very common occurrence - for me - especially in late winter/early spring.  It's cold overnight, and I get cold, dry air in my unheated, uninsulated garage.  In the morning, if the outside air warms up and becomes more humid... open the door, the warmer humid air enters the garage, and voila!  cold weather gas gauge...
Hmm..I dunno Mattsz. I think we're talking about 2 different things. What I see is in the pic is dew forming on a surface area which is cooler than the dew point. What you're refering to is a humidity issue and should be on all surfaces, not just where the fuel is. What I meant by not a common occurance is the surface area where the fuel is, has to be cooler than the dew point, and the other part of the tank has to be warmer than the dew point. I couldn't imagine it only being a difference of a degree or two between all 3 part of that equation. Either way, moisture is moisture and rust will occur if not treated. I do like the good wax idea for protection.
And yes, a fan/heater would even be better, but probably not worth the cost. I'd bet just a circulation of some warmer air trapped up in the ceiling would prevent it.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 09:51:22 am
I've always used "dry" silicone spray on my bike. It works really well on Matt finishes.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 11:06:34 am
Hmm..I dunno Mattsz. I think we're talking about 2 different things. What I see is in the pic is dew forming on a surface area which is cooler than the dew point. What you're refering to is a humidity issue and should be on all surfaces, not just where the fuel is.

Maybe you're right... nevertheless, it's not uncommon for me to see exactly what Narada is seeing.  Moisture condensed on the tank exterior only up the the fuel level... also on the heavy metal engine parts but not on the tinware. 

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 03:11:30 pm
Actually, he is only partially correct. The condensation (dew) will form when the surface temp falls below the dew point...not when the dew point falls below ambient temp.

Show me where I said that. I said that not  ;) and I wasn't writing a thesis. I only made a mostly general comment on the fact that there are many variable that go into getting a flash of minute water droplets (like a "fog") on bikes in an unheated enclosure when the variables change.

All I can say is I have 55 years of empirical evidence in a high humidity state (RI), 30 years in this particular house, and I know it happens. My garage is well insulated, unheated and always colder than the air outside. On very damp days, the fog will form on both bikes (dependent on the variables) when I open the door OR when I get near a certain part of the bike and warm the surface with body heat or if I DARE to breathe on the damn thing  :o This never ever was any huge problem for me although it will leave a haze behind on both chrome and paint (another reason why I don't like chrome). You just have to grin and bear it in a state like RI ("...if I only knew then what I know NOW on MUCHO subjects).

I think this a rare problem in very low humidity states like where I grew up (Wyo, Colo).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:13:33 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 02:09:27 am
Today I had the door open while working on my pannier brackets and noticed the whole gas tank was covered in something!  I'm pretty sure that was condensation, but it was really cold and it could have been frost.  Every thing outside was covered in frost.

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.