Author Topic: Decompressor modified to aid electric and kick starting.  (Read 11765 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 03:32:06 am
 Strat, please forgive me if I'm insulting your intelligence here. The kicker does clear the up the foot space and very nicely too. It is available for $60 from our host under Pn# 570242. It's the same genuine RE UCE piece as factory fitted to our G5 and our pal Stealthbombers C5.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:25 am
Peace... thanks for the reference...
looks nice... definitly an option for max confort... i've got big feet ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 01:07:17 pm
Yes, for E-start, the load on the starter motor is less when the clutch is pulled in, because it doesn't need to turn the transmission.
However, when kick starting, it does have to turn the transmission because that is how the kicker is mechanically connected thru the clutch, and so the clutch obviously cannot be pulled in when kicking.

Regarding the decompressor, I don't know what B.W. is precisely doing with that, but it looks like it is working nicely.

We have installed the Harley type pushbutton decompressors like Ice pictured up above, and they have worked out well for the few people that asked us to do them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2015, 02:41:54 pm
OK

Not that you need my blessing but that makes sense.
The electric starter cranks faster because with the clutch pulled in, it is not trying to turn all of those gears in the gearbox that are submerged in the thick, tar-like gear lube (or grease) that's in your transmission.

Why would there be grease in my gearbox? Why would you assume things you have no clue of? The tranny didn't have grease in it from day one that I bought it with zero miles with the CMW title from the dealer's lawyer. I don't know if they changed the tranny lube at CMW or if the dealer whose lawyer I bought the bike from did it. It had proper tranny lube in it when I got it. I know because I changed ALL the fluids and did a full check of everything before I even started the bike because it had sat in a back room, dry and with no battery for two years. I put new lube in it then at zero miles and changed it again at 300 miles and again at 1,000. Primary, too.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 03:00:02 pm
5 speed Bullet gearboxes have gear oil.
4 speeds have grease.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 03:01:51 pm
(sorry to hijack)
tooseevee, love your bike...
you gave me an idea: i've always been annoyed by the kickstart lever in the way of my right heel...
i saw your  bottom folding kick... looks like a way to remove the lever from your foot...
is it convenient???
Ben

There are two or three reasons I put the UCE kicker on my AVL. (1) I'm used to that style kicker. I've ridden three different kick only FX shovelheads since '79 and that type kicker is standard. (2) With the straight AVL kicker my heel would hit the right side case once in a while. Me no like. (3) Being much shorter than I'm supposed to be and only 140 pounds, I get better leverage and a longer effective kick with the longer UCE kicker.

Yes, I like it better, but I think the straight kicker still looks cool and may switch from time to time. I'm very moody  ;)  I still wear my 55 year old horsehide chaps if I ride when it's cool which is not very often now. And they still fit  8)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 03:21:18 pm
 Push button "auto decompressors" have been available for hand start industrial engines for years. You can get them off ebay from around $5 upwards.
tooseevee, your bike looks just right :) A lot of people criticize the SM tyres, but I've found they make the whole bike "sharper" handling. Got to show the front end respect in the wet though. : :o
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 21, 2015, 03:38:45 pm
tooseevee, your bike looks just right :) A lot of people criticize the SM tyres, but I've found they make the whole bike "sharper" handling. Got to show the front end respect in the wet though. : :o

Especially now with leaves which are worse than the leftover winter sand in the early spring.

I'll let the next owner put the tires he wants on. I was going to change them, but I think they're perfectly OK for how I ride now which is the farthest thing from aggressive. Plus I've already spent almost what I paid for the bike over again in mods. Yes, the front can be squirrelly. You want to plan ahead constantly with this bike and never put yourself in a "panic stop" situation. The AVL (with front drum) just doesn't have the brakes or the rubber on the road for it. The disc front brake AVL may be better. I don't know.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2015, 05:29:18 pm
Push button "auto decompressors" have been available for hand start industrial engines for years. You can get them off ebay from around $5 upwards.
  The whole point of what I have done is that the decompressor is NOT automatic, so the engine stays on a lower level of compression until I decide to flick it over to full power. I wouldn't think it would pose any threat to an electric start sprag clutch and the engine can be turned over much easier and faster for starting, but it wont idle until the decompressor is flicked to 'off'. Kick starting is much easier.
 B.W.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: November 21, 2015, 05:47:52 pm
 I am interested. Extremely interested if it RE-uses some of the existing parts. :)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #25 on: November 21, 2015, 06:09:37 pm
My apologies for not fully understanding how it works B.W. My old Panther 120 had similar mechanical device which could be "switched" on and off in a similar manner operating on the cam. Just to the right of the gear shift.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: November 21, 2015, 09:11:15 pm
My apologies for not fully understanding how it works B.W. My old Panther 120 had similar mechanical device which could be "switched" on and off in a similar manner operating on the cam. Just to the right of the gear shift.
Hi Malky,
 No problem, in fact a 650cc Panther M120 I had in the workshop recently for a full engine rebuild and lots of other work gave me the inspiration for this and it works with the same result, just in a different manner  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO9OKwd-WLM

B.W.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 04:35:06 am
I might be interested in your device, too, BW.  Maybe enough folks will want it so you can make a small batch
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2015, 09:03:58 pm
Here is another decompressor, modified earlier today and also still operational at the handlebar lever via the cable, which is retained. It is fitted to a Redditch Fury  8)
If there is enough interest, perhaps I could get some made, at present each is hand made in my workshop  ;)
 B.W.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiYNNJ8soAE
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:08:00 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 10:52:19 pm
I'm definitely interested in one.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.