Author Topic: Broken Spokes  (Read 16515 times)

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
on: November 19, 2015, 07:32:48 pm
How many people have had a broken spoke on the GT?
I've just had 1 broken on the rear wheel fixed by my local dealer.
they said they have had 1 other in the 40 odd bikes they've sold.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:36 pm
Never had a broken spoke but had to loose spokes in the back and 3 in the front when I brought it home from the dealer. Something I was disappointed that didn't get caught when they did the PDI.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

cafegtgirl

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 03:42:50 am
Getting ready to do a repair for broken spoke. I broken on the rear.
2021 GT 650
2016 Triumph Street Triple RX
2014 Continental GT
2004 Buell Firebolt XB12R
1998 Honda VFR 800
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S2
1997 Buell Lightning S1
1994 Honda VFR 750
1991 Honda CBR1000
1988 Honda CBR1000 Huricane
1985 Honda VT1100 Shadow
1985 Honda Helix
1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor #96

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 05:53:54 am
 Let me guess, they broke at the hub end din't they ?

A spoke breaking in normal operation under normal conditions is an indicator of insufficient tensioning.  Imo best to get them checked by an experienced mechanic or a wheel builder.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:01:12 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Otto_Ing

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:07 am
They always break at the hub. I've been building wheels for my cycles and it is not as difficult as it sounds. Appx. equal tension on the spokes is important for equal load distribution, if you have good ears you can play them like a guitar and make sure they sound around the same. Did this check on my GT too and i suspect my dealer has done good work before selling me the GT as all screws were tightend to the correct Torque and all spokes had the same frequency. No issues so far....

iRideRoyalnVA

• Sole Proprietor of Bremo Synthetic Solutions
  • Grease Monkey
  • I sell AMSOIL!
Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:57 am
I've got a broken spoke on my rear wheel, was warrantied with a new one!
2014 Continental GT
Michael C Tolliver
Bremo Synthetic Solutions
Independent AMSOIL Dealer
Bremo Bluff, Virginia
www.lubedealer.com/bremosyntheticsolutions
Ride Hard! Run Cool!

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 07:24:24 pm
Let me guess, they broke at the hub end didn't they ?

A spoke breaking in normal operation under normal conditions is an indicator of insufficient tensioning.  Imo best to get them checked by an experienced mechanic or a wheel builder.

They always break at the hub. I've been building wheels for my cycles and it is not as difficult as it sounds. Approx. equal tension on the spokes is important for equal load distribution, if you have good ears you can play them like a guitar and make sure they sound around the same. Did this check on my GT too and i suspect my dealer has done good work before selling me the GT as all screws were tightened to the correct Torque and all spokes had the same frequency. No issues so far....
Thanks, Yes was broken at the hub end of the spoke.
I wasn't sure why they break as I have never had experience with spoked wheels. I now know what to look for.
Getting ready to do a repair for broken spoke. I broken on the rear.
Mine was on the rear as well. LH side outter was the spoke that broke.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

Otto_Ing

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 08:02:48 pm
The reason the classic spokes break at the hub is because they are bend there 90 degrees. Modern bicycles often have reduced amount of straight spokes, and sometimes the nipple sits at the hub. The advantage of the classic spokes with the 90 degree bend is however that it is very easy to replace them without removing the wheel from the bike and the tire can remain on the wheel as well.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:32:00 pm by Otto »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:25:54 pm
+1 to what Otto said. And the reasons they break there are looseness and un even tensions.  The only times I have seen them strip out or snap at the nipple end was due to corrosion or branches through the wheel spokes.....at night, in the rain...

Otto_Ing

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:35:29 pm
.. Ice you have seen something I haven't yet. I have wasted too much of my time in a cubicle probably  ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:07:02 pm by Otto »

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 12:11:58 am
The spokes on the GT are what they call a  pull spoke. Where the smoke comes out of the hub and then like a J is typically the weakest point of the spoke. Much like on a bicycle wheel. Higher end bicycle wheels they will have what they call a straight pull spoke. Which comes out of the hub straight and doesn't bend which are a much stronger spoke.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 06:40:14 pm
.. Ice you have seen something I haven't yet. I have wasted too much of my time in a cubicle probably  ;D

If I would have spent some time in cubicles when younger I might have been able to afford  bikes in better condition !

Aus.GT

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 10:06:57 pm
Ok, As you can see I posted about a broken spoke last November, Well it's happened again about 3 weeks ago. This time I rang my local wheel rebuilder and asked about spoked wheels. He told me the obvious reasons for spokes breaking but also asked if the spokes had a triangle symbol on the head of the spokes. I looked and told him yes, He said that they were Delta spokes made in India and are of variable quality.

So on that basis I had him respoked the rear wheel with some good quality American spokes.

I could have had the spoke replaced under warranty again but figured the same thing would happen again in 6 months and then I have to replace them anyway.
1988 Gilera Saturno 500
2014 Continental GT
1985 Ducati Mille S2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 12:43:29 am
Good to know, aus. I've just had 2 spokes replaced at new tyre time and the wheel tried as well. They broke a while back, I cable tied them to the next one til I got around to having it fixed. Maybe a respoke next time.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

OnceEveryLampPost

• Neophyte
Reply #14 on: April 07, 2019, 08:19:56 pm
Interested to discover that others have had the broken spoke problem , not just me.  My 2017 GT - original rear wheel would break spokes (each one at the bend , both sides - all trailing).  RE replaced the wheel under warranty after the ninth breakage but the new wheel is even worse - 6 broken spokes in 2k miles.  I have been replacing spokes as they go with steel ones (not stainless) and chamfering their respective holes in the hub at the spoke bend.  None of the replacements have broken.
I have since rebuilt the old hub myself with new steel spokes and chamfered holes and fitted it on the bike today.  We shall see how that goes - I'll eat humble pie if they break.
Observations:
1. The original wheels are laced symmetrically with trailing spokes outside (taking drive tension) - but the hub holes are only chamfered on the 'head' side, NOT at the bend (where they should be) so any benefits of this method of lacing (the wrap)  will be lost - discuss.  Some doubts as to the evenness of spoke tension as delivered also.
2. The sharp hole edges are a stress raiser at the spoke bend.
3. The spokes (triangle logo) may be of a low grade of stainless steel which is too brittle for this application.
4.  The new 650 twin has straight pull (almost) spokes in the rear wheel.  ???
I'd be interested in anyone else's recent experiences, observations of criticisms on this matter.  I've only ever had one broken rear spoke (Suzuki GT500) in 49 years on many bikes (British/German/East German/Czech/Japanese from AJS through BMW to Velocette) some of nearly twice the power.