Author Topic: Newbie advice  (Read 4760 times)

Margrave30

• Neophyte
on: August 12, 2007, 09:32:49 am
OK. Thinking of buying an Enfield for my college commute. Like the look of the bullet (and the kickstart), but my commute includes about 20-30 minutes of going down an 65-70 mph interstate. That means the cars are going about 80-85. An Enfield dealer told me that I'd probably need an Electra (not as pretty as the Bullet), and get some performance mods to handle the interstate. I presume I'll need more ccs, something to assist in cooling, countershaft sprocket with more teeth to keep rpms down. Anything else you guys can think of? Will vibration be a prob? Stock brakes OK? Would the above mentioned mods bump a bullet up into the realm of feasibility?

Any suggestions which would keep the bike happy long enough for me to graduate?

Margrave

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:53:55 pm
OK. Thinking of buying an Enfield for my college commute. Like the look of the bullet (and the kickstart), but my commute includes about 20-30 minutes of going down an 65-70 mph interstate. That means the cars are going about 80-85. An Enfield dealer told me that I'd probably need an Electra (not as pretty as the Bullet), and get some performance mods to handle the interstate. I presume I'll need more ccs, something to assist in cooling, countershaft sprocket with more teeth to keep rpms down. Anything else you guys can think of? Will vibration be a prob? Stock brakes OK? Would the above mentioned mods bump a bullet up into the realm of feasibility?

Margrave

The best advice I could give you is to take the money you would spend on a Royal Enfield and get a used Japanese bike that can handle your commute without mods.  Once you get out of school, have a job and time THEN get a Royal Enfield that you can enjoy and ride the way it is meant to be ridden.

Best of Luck,
Leonard
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 02:26:08 pm by Leonard »
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 01:40:20 pm

Margrave

Anything's possible.

Most performance kits replace the exhaust sytem, intake system and carb. They really open up the Electra and let it run; and run cooler. However it's still not an interstate burner. You can add a tooth to the front sprocket which will increase top road speeds a bit, but it's still not an interstate burner. You could bore the bike out to 535cc or even 612cc, but it's still not an interstate burner. Are you seeing the trend?

If you wanted to run at 65 for 20 miles each way, you could probably accomplish it with a standard performance kit (intake, exhaust and carb). I wouldn't go any faster than that, and I wouldn't want to commit to that every day, 5 days a week though.

They seem to be happiest when run within design parameters.

See my signature link for a summary of my mods.

Matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 02:11:06 pm
You could do what I find myself doing a lot.  Try going a different route, that misses out the interstate - I can get to, and around, Chicago quite a bit faster on the back roads, than I can on the interstate.  But then I obey the law and only have one vehicle per lane, which slows interstate travel on a bike right down.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 03:35:27 pm
If you get the Electra, don't worry about temp, or more cc. Just get a performance kit and 19 tooth sprocket. It will run fast enough. A 15-20 mile jaunt on the freeway is pretty mild for an Electra, but it is true that you would be better off finding a diferent route. You will find that you enjoy riding the RE so much that you will prefer spending more time in the saddle. Personally, I find it difficult to end my rides. It is just frustrating for me to take a short commute because I don't want to stop. I can't really say the same about any other bike I have owned.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 04:57:35 pm
Personally, I find it difficult to end my rides. It is just frustrating for me to take a short commute because I don't want to stop. I can't really say the same about any other bike I have owned.

That is so true - I go for a quick ride to blow out the cobwebs, and am gone for hours.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 04:57:34 am
At interstate speeds you will wear out that RE long before you graduate. Get a used 04' or later HD Sportster 883. Buy your RE later..........Dew.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!