Author Topic: Vintage Repo Tyres  (Read 18545 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #45 on: February 11, 2016, 04:25:06 pm
FJ really on the offensive, just tires mate. let it go.

Otto_Ing

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2016, 04:46:38 pm

The week would not be comple without a collision between KD @ FJ. It has become a tradition.  ;)

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #47 on: February 11, 2016, 05:52:27 pm
The week would not be comple without a collision between KD @ FJ. It has become a tradition.  ;)

I would call it less of a collision and more of running into a brick wall. Myself I like either going around, under or over.

Maybe a little graffiti from time to time.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: February 11, 2016, 06:53:59 pm
"Isn't the GT all about the look?"

The GT's look is a definite wow. For me, I wanted a quality roadster, with a parts supply line.

But, if all RE wanted was some wow, they certainly over spent and over built. --- Harris frame and design, Italian suspension, Brembo brakes, a good looking and good working front end, Pirellis. For me, it's a wow looking performance bike. I'll stick with the Pirellis.
  If I got a Bullet, then the modern made K70s would be on there. The GT is no Bullet. There are retro elements to the Continental GT, but functionally it is a contemporary machine.
  A lot of the  cafe racer industry is stuck in a CB500 re make mold, that includes agricultural tire looks. My GT isn't part of that. I vote no to agricultural/vintage tires on my GT.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 11, 2016, 08:00:26 pm
It's funny you say that about the CB cafe racer market.  I was a little before the wave when I started with the CB400, but I spent a lot of time looking for modern tires to put on that bike.  I guess I'm not in it for the trend.... ;)
I also agree with you about the chassis being more modern and benefiting from modern tires.  I guess the Bridgestone BT45 is supposed to be a good tire for the GT too.  I haven't tried them, but have been told some good things about them.  We definatly have choices for good shoes for this bike!

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: February 11, 2016, 09:51:28 pm
MeVo - BT45s are veteran super bike sport touring tires, long time favorites of lots of riders. If you are going with BT45s, I would check Bridgestone's product line. They have been doing updates on their tires. I know because I've had a Honda ST1100 and a Yamaha FJR1300.
  I'm in north Arlington, VA, west of Chain Bridge. I hate this cold bit. I've been getting out on short rides to keep the gas flowing and the water burned out.
Cheers,
Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #51 on: February 11, 2016, 10:05:35 pm
It's funny you say that about the CB cafe racer market.  I was a little before the wave when I started with the CB400, but I spent a lot of time looking for modern tires to put on that bike.  I guess I'm not in it for the trend.... ;)
I also agree with you about the chassis being more modern and benefiting from modern tires.  I guess the Bridgestone BT45 is supposed to be a good tire for the GT too.  I haven't tried them, but have been told some good things about them.  We definatly have choices for good shoes for this bike!
I had a BMW R100s for a while, Metzlers and Contis lasted about 1800 miles on the back. BT 45s lasted over 5000 miles and I was a lot more confident with them as well.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 01:51:49 am
MeVo - BT45s are veteran super bike sport touring tires, long time favorites of lots of riders. If you are going with BT45s, I would check Bridgestone's product line. They have been doing updates on their tires. I know because I've had a Honda ST1100 and a Yamaha FJR1300.
  I'm in north Arlington, VA, west of Chain Bridge. I hate this cold bit. I've been getting out on short rides to keep the gas flowing and the water burned out.
Cheers,
Bill

Ya, I think the guy was telling me that the BT45 has been updated...But you are right, I should look into it.  I use to like the Mettzler M1s on my '97 VFR.  It was a good all around tire.  Stuck like glue in wet, dry, or cold.  People didn't seem to like the M3 as much.  I'm not even sure what's on my ST1300 right now.  I should check.....

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: February 12, 2016, 08:16:39 pm

Nah. My filters are set to high. KD isn't even fun to spar with.

And they're never JUST tires.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...