Author Topic: Help, rear shock top bolt too short  (Read 4110 times)

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
on: November 17, 2015, 10:27:18 am
This is where I look stupid (er). I have put my panniers onto the bike and the top bracket uses the top shock bolt for mounting. Now I have purchased a rear rack for over the mudguard which also uses this top bolt to mount on...guess what the original bolt is too short to carry both accessories.
Simple you say however the bolt head is on the inside next to the mudguard and for the life of me I can't see a way to remove it to fit a longer bolt without dismantling the mudguard assembly??
Please feel free to call me an idiot and show me the error of my ways.
2015 C5 Classic Black

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:48 am
I took the mudguard off my last bike, replaced the bolts with longer stainless ones, going in from the out side , and put locknuts on the inside, between the frame and the muguard, so I wouldn't have to go through the whole rigmarole again if I need longer bolts, hope that makes sense.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:40:26 am
mulga bill
you can only blame yourself for buying a C5....lol
now just undo the bottom two mudguard stays which  attach to either side of the swing arm and after that lift up the rear mudguard ;D - clearance and away you go.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 10:47:36 am
You guys all type faster than me!  Here you go anyway...

It's very possible that you're not stupid at all!  My 2011 B5 is the same - can't remove the shock bolt with the rear fender in place.  I have to raise the fender - which is no trouble at all with the solo seat installed.  And you've already got one!

Not sure about the C5, but on the B5 it takes seconds:  Loosen the upper nuts (one on each side) that hold the fender stay (15mm socket, upper arrow in photo), just enough so the fender can pivot.  Loosen the nuts (one on each side) that hold the lower fender stay and rear foot pegs (13/16" socket for 20mm, lower arrow) more - enough to pull the lower fender stay up and back away from the mounting point.  The foot peg bracket is keyed to fit in the fender stay's open end, so watch for that when you're removing and refitting the stay.  The fender pivots right up (protect the paint from contacting any solo seat hardware if necessary).  Hopefully it will swing up high enough to clear the shock mounting bolt - mine does!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:48:09 am
mulga
got it wrong...lol
here near the footpegs. just undo either side bolts. pull em out and lift the mudguard straight up

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:42 am
I hit the 'bolts too short' problem as well when I added first the solo front seat brackets to my Electra, and later the small pannier racks.  Hitchcock's have a longer bolt for this.  I can't remember the part number, but if you email them they will tell you and give you the price.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 11:13:58 am
If you put the longer bolts through from the " outside" it's easier to remove th shockers also.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 11:23:21 am
Thanks all
I will get longer bolts tomorrow and pour a coffee and give it a go.
I will post a pic of the end result.
Really appreciate the help....good to know I am not completely mad.
2015 C5 Classic Black

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 03:51:23 pm
+1.  This is the easiest way to do it.  Remember to loosen the other mounting bolt on top and it pivots right up.

mulga
got it wrong...lol
here near the footpegs. just undo either side bolts. pull em out and lift the mudguard straight up

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 06:10:53 pm
There you go - that system is different than I've pictured.  My 2011 B5 has one big bolt holding both the lower fender strut and the passenger foot peg bracket...

Either way, I'm guessing you'll figure it out!!  8)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 09:56:56 pm
The C5 is different than the other bikes.  The whole framework that holds the rear fender is just held on with 4 bolts, easy to pop 2 and pivot it up.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 10:22:46 pm
My 2015 C5 uses bolts that have the dome top / cap on the bolt.  The nuts have a round flat surface at their base, like a built in washer. The nuts are nearest to the mudgaurd. 

I have tried to find longer bolts too but could not find the same type.  I am settling for nice regular stainless replacements.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:34:16 pm by Narada »
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 11:26:26 pm
The C5 is different than the other bikes.  The whole framework that holds the rear fender is just held on with 4 bolts, easy to pop 2 and pivot it up.

Similar to the Iron Barrel bullets  ;)  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkOgpuAQDU
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 01:40:53 am
Oops!  The bolt I was remembering was from the lower mudguard stay location.  The one that you need to unbolt to swing the mudguard upward.  I am including a photo of that bolt.  My top shock mounting bolt is as Mulga bill shows in his picture.  Who's stupider now!

On the right side of my C5 that lower bolt is where the EFI silencer bracket mounts, which made that bolt too short.  Now, it is my new pannier mount on the left making that bolt too short. 

Does anyone know where to get bolts like that?  They are metric, I'm guessing 8mm X 40mm stainless steel. 

I will contact Mr. H. about longer upper shock bolts (thanks Blairio) to mount my new Nfield Gear polished stainless steel rack.  It is very well crafted and shiney but just setting it on, it occurred to me that the black version might have looked even better with my black frame and stays which it mounts to.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 03:53:02 am
Okay so after realising that a 10mm bolt is actually 9.3mm which is very close to 3/8 ths I managed to source two bolts to fit the hole at the top of the shock.
They are a bit long however the shop is going to tap a thread in the dome nuts to match the bolts for me and that will finish the job (currently there are nylock nuts in place).
The mudguard wasn't difficult as you all said.
Thanks again for the advice, although it took longer than I thought it was still satisfying and I believe the bike is now ready for a trip.
Thanks again.
2015 C5 Classic Black

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2015, 04:10:00 am
The rack and bags look great!  The black rack does go well with the black frame.  I like the bags too, quite stylish.

Is that a Chrome / Maroon RE in the picture?  It looks like it has a chrome rack and even different bolt / nut combination.

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: November 18, 2015, 08:59:38 am
Narada that is my wife's Chrome Burgundy RE and yes it has a different rack but the bolts etc are the same. Her H&B panniers arrive next month.
2015 C5 Classic Black