Author Topic: How delicate is the stock speedo?  (Read 1784 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 19, 2015, 08:37:37 pm
While limited range of motion in my arm is still keeping me from riding, I got out in the garage to do some light duty tinkering...
 months ago while my engine was apart  I replaced the warning lights with LED bulbs (definitely a good upgrade) but on the initial run I noticed the speedo wasn't working. I figured one of the cable ends wasn't properly done so when I checked that today I found that the end at the speedo was indeed turning with the front wheel, so the sending unit seems to be working. I redid the upper connection and spun the wheel, but the needle didn't wiggle or move even a little. Then I connected a drill to the speedo -yes I checked the direction- and spun it faster and it still didn't move.
Do they die at random, or did I accidentally kill it when I pulled it for bulb replacement?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 01:30:41 am
 Re: How delicate is the stock speedo?

They are fairly robust and old school mechanical, the parts inside are simple but don't accidentally step on them.
 :P
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:52:15 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 02:07:59 am
With the old mechanical speedometers, sometimes the drive cable isn't long enough to enter the square drive in it.

I don't know how you connected the drill to the speedometer but if you used a square drive and the input was actually turning without the speedometer needle moving it does sound like you've got a problem.

Many cities have speedometer shops and if you can find one, they should be able to get the thing working again.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:36:31 pm
Mine suffer from the same symptoms...
it worked... had to disconnect it to remove the front wheel...
and it don't work no more.. i checked that the cable is turning up to the front... but the speedo needle don't move...
i removed the speedo and tried to turn the square hole... and it feels very stifff!!! and the needle is hardly moving...
it's only 21km so i decided to change it since the stock one doesn't have a neutral light... and i could use a neutral warning.. even if i get used to know where i am on the gear box...  ;)
Ben
Ben

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:38:07 pm

i removed the speedo and tried to turn the square hole... and it feels very stifff!!! and the needle is hardly moving...

Mine is just the opposite. the square hole turns very easy...no movement on the needle at all
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods