Author Topic: 2016 BMW G310R  (Read 5700 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:20:02 pm
I'm just sitting here waiting for motorcycles to come factory equipped handlebar mounted laser beams.  Might be waiting awhile.  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 09:11:29 pm
Have you been "threatened" with the Air Bag jacket in the U.S. and your respective countries?
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 10:39:30 pm
No airbag threats in the U.S. that I have heard of.  Just don't tell any of our Democratic "feel good" legislators that such a thing exists or they will mandate it to keep us all safe - and maybe require a couple of extra wheels on our motorcycles too.  Of course the Honda Gold Wing has offered an airbag as an expensive option for a few years, but I doubt it sells very well.  I wonder if it is made by the same company that built the exploding bags for Honda?
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 07:59:44 am
To my way of thinking, it is a strong contender for ugliest motorcycle ever produced.
  :o
Another contender :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 10:26:14 am
Don't forget the Ducati diavel : an amazing motorcycle in the ugliest form Ducati have come up with in years. A favourite of wogs and lebs for whom a Harley is not vulgar enough.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 12:36:59 pm
I'll have to go back on the medication again, after Diavel being mentioned. There is no excuse for the Indiana either.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 02:42:44 pm
I feel similarly about the motard category as I do about the adv bike category. Neither fish nor fowl.

I have a burning question: Will there eventually  be retro motards called retards?
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 02:51:28 pm
I'll have to go back on the medication again, after Diavel being mentioned. There is no excuse for the Indiana either.

That bike may as well been called a Cagiva (which was the original plan).  The Castiglioni brothers "saved" Ducati (and Husqvarna also comes to mind) and then used and abused Ducati and IMO did nearly as much damage to the Marque as the Italian government had done over the previous decade.

The Indiana was a product of that.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 03:53:28 pm
That bike may as well been called a Cagiva (which was the original plan).  The Castiglioni brothers "saved" Ducati (and Husqvarna also comes to mind) and then used and abused Ducati and IMO did nearly as much damage to the Marque as the Italian government had done over the previous decade.

The Indiana was a product of that.

I see a pattern there. It is familiar.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:09 pm
I feel similarly about the motard category as I do about the adv bike category. Neither fish nor fowl.

I have a burning question: Will there eventually  be retro motards called retards?
 ;D
I thought a retro motard was a street scrambler. :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 08:20:12 pm
Haha! I love motards! Insanely good fun bikes. That Ducati Indiana was idiotic. A high revving sport bike engine in a cruiser WTF? Kawasaki has just done it again, with a detuned ninja engine in that Vulcan thing.
FWIW, the bmw in the OP looks fine to me, in a samey, japanesey, me too kind of way. Nothing special about it but inoffensive.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:23:39 pm by gizzo »
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:23 am

I was thinking about that comment at work today. There's nothing else to do. It occurred to me that the motard builders are kind of building on foundations laid by the cafe racer crew. What's a cafe racer? It's not a touring/commuter bike. It's not a sport bike. It's a sporty special built from a base of a tourer/commuter. Likewise the motard. Not a sport bike, but can hold it's own in company of some pretty fierce machines given the conditions, and from a  base bike not intended for that purpose at all. Motards, the new cafe racer  :P
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #27 on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:49 am
Cafe racers were part of the evolution of the factory sports bike. Before you could buy an off the peg "racer" you built your own, and a whole industry grew up supplying the parts, Dresda, Dunstall, Rickman etc. The first Jap cafe racer I saw was a cb750 with a Read Titan kit fitted, once the manufacturers saw there was money to be made they got in on the act and built their own, stifling individualism along the way.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 07:19:58 am
I realise that. Motards started the same way. Then manufacturers saw they could make money copying what crew were building at home and there it is. Factory motards are a thing. Likewise streetfighters. I'd draw a line between old school pukka race bikes by the likes of Dresda and Rickman and cafe racers built at home but that's just me. You might see it differently, having been there and all  ;).
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #29 on: December 01, 2015, 07:26:42 am
The guys who built their own cafe racers were "apeing" their heroes of the race track. :) You would see their helmets painted to match Mike Hailwood,John Cooper etc.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream