Author Topic: Final thoughts on the MotoBatt MBTX14AU (12V 16.5 Amp) 190CCA Factory Activated  (Read 2353 times)

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Final thoughts on the  MotoBatt MBTX14AU (12V 16.5 Amp) 190CCA Factory Activated for a 2012 C5 Military?

2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
It should be a good one, if you can get it installed.

Be careful though if your ordering it.

Make absolutely sure the outside dimensions of the case is equal to or smaller than the stock C-5 battery.

I mention this because the battery you are talking about has a higher Amp/Hour rating of 16.5 vs the factory 14.5 AH. 
That usually takes more surface area on the battery plates to give it the extra power and more surface area on the plates usually means larger outside case dimensions.

Put another way, it's hard to put 5 pounds of dung in a 3 pound sack.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Part is size, part is quality.  As I recall, it as exactly the same dimensions but higher amp hour than stock.  The stock battery is nothing special.  Still, do measure to be safe ;)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
I have this battery in my B5. The positive terminal is a tad closer to the frame tube (probably the same as stock), but once installed, it doesn't come in contact with it. To be sure, make sure you slide the red rubber boot over the terminal.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Seriously considering getting one of these for my C5. I was a bit surprised to find it had a wet cell battery; even the 2009 handbook that came with it refers to some having maintenance-free ones. I don't fancy charging the original in situ because I'll have to remove the plastic fillers to do it safely.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
It's a AGM, you don't have to add water once it's activated. Here's a link to a spec sheet on it with dimensions. ANd it's a pretty yellow too. YUCK!  :P

2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
I've been running this same battery in my 14' C5 and this brand in other bikes.  My opinion is that this is about the best "bang for your buck" in motorcycle batteries.

It is slightly bigger, but no worries on fitting. 
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
That is the one I want... and a can of black Krylon!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
had the same battery in and other the c5's for the past 3 years -tight fit around the neg lead but no worse than the standard.
today I feel generous so some worthwhile info ;) I read somewhere/someone required more clearance for their battery leads so rather than use the high mounting spot they connected to the lower mounting point -opposite side and just screwed the leads on.
sounds good too. that high side is not the easiest to attach too and very close to the frame -this would solve that issue.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
It's a AGM, you don't have to add water once it's activated. Here's a link to a spec sheet on it with dimensions. ANd it's a pretty yellow too. YUCK!  :P

Yes, I know. That's why I want one. I was referring to my quaint wet cell one. I already have a spare Optimate4 lead to fit so that I can just swap my charger between the two bikes I have over winter. The ancient Triumph still runs 6v and has a dry cell battery pack that barely discharges at all. Even if it did the bike would start anyway because it has a mag. :)
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
I have one in my 2013 B5. It fits fine. It's only been in there about a month, and under 500 miles, so I have no idea how it is going to hold up. I do use a battery tender on it at all times, just like I do on all my other bike batteries.

The Enfield cables are junk. IMO anyway, they are about half the size they should be. Even my little Yamaha XT225 has cables about twice the diameter of what is on the Enfield. The biggest problem I see with the cables is actually with the positive cable. It is a tiny little cable inside a large and very stiff piece of plastic tubing. It also appears that all the cables are soldered directly onto the starter relay. I have never seen anything like this before. The small wires that trip the relay are usually attached with spade clips, and the battery cable and cable that goes to the starter are attached to actual screw terminals with nuts and washers. What happens if the battery cable breaks off the relay? (I found the answer to that one. You have to replace the relay and all the wires, including the positive battery cable. $65. I also read that starter relays for 2010 and older models have been discontinued.

I would like to see someone (besides RE) make replacement parts for these bikes, only higher quality. There are an infinite number of high quality aftermarket parts for Harleys.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:34:01 am by suitcasejefferson »
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson