Author Topic: High Speed Stutter  (Read 6428 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 02:32:26 pm
YOU are asking for it and you'll get bit one day. That terminal seems to have close to a 100% failure rate. Look at it it's just a piss poor design and it was built to fail. Kind of like the rectifier on the C5.

Me bitter no not me. You could have made bracket with a hammer by beating the metal out on a rock.     
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 07:41:02 pm
When an attack upon your well being is eminent, the pre-emptive strike should be considered self defence, and is mandatory.

This goes for battery cables too!  Don't wait, they are plotting your demise!
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 04:09:52 am
Does the failed battery connector afflict C5's more than Bullets or G5 / Electras? I check the offending terminal on my Electra several times a year and all is good. It would make sense to pre-emptively replace it, but I am just wondering if there is something about e.g. the routing of the battery cables that makes one model more prone to this failure than another? Are the vibration modes in the different frames designs also different?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 04:42:47 am
I'm beginning to think the G5 or Electra doesn't have the problem.

I'm not sure why it doesn't but my G5 has served me well for over 4 1/2 years and almost 19000 miles.

I have found that the battery on my G5, which is installed with the battery terminals outboard is different from the C5 which installs its battery with the terminals inboard, toward the frame.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 04:44:50 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 01:01:50 pm
Blairio, a visual check is no good....you can't even check it with a meter. I could ride all day on the back roads with not even a stutter.
When I hit the slightly higher speeds of the Interstates it would cut out for just a second every 2 or three hundred feet. I thought of a hundred electrical and computer possibilities and until someone on this forum said "check the negative ground". Everything checked out fine but I pulled the battery anyway and watched the negative ground cable hit the floor. The battery straps held the broken connector in place until just the right combination of conditions made it break contact then bounce back into place. Don't just check it......REPLACE IT !!!!

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 05:12:20 pm
YOU are asking for it and you'll get bit one day. That terminal seems to have close to a 100% failure rate.

Yes, I know you're right. I hope to fit a Motobatt soon and I'll do the job then.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:43 pm
Blairio, a visual check is no good....you can't even check it with a meter. ......REPLACE IT !!!!

Tom, the empiricist in me wants to find a reason to replace something that has not failed. Otherwise I might as well replace the whole bleedin' bike - just in case.

My comment wasn't the product of an idle moment, I looked back on the various threads on battery terminal failure, and they seemed massively skewed towards the C5.

So I go back to my question: is this predominantly a C5 issue, and if it is (and the same battery terminals are employed in all Enfields) then fix the problem, and not the symptom.

Arizoni has hinted that it might due to the orientation of the battery on the C5. That's worth following up on.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:39:44 pm by Blairio »

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 07:28:41 pm
Isn't that like saying don't put gas in your tank until you totally run out?? If it's something you know is coming, if it applies to your bike , .....................

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 07:53:13 pm
This does seem to be a predominantly C5 issue.  This is a failure that will leave you totally stranded on the side of the road.  If you don't want to retrofit, you can just carry the parts and tools to get you home.

Scott

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 10:00:13 pm
I have a C5, but when I rang and asked my dealer about a replacement terminal, he didn't ask the model just asked if it was the negative side? He said the have been a problem for years, they have told them for years but it falls on deaf ears! He keeps battery straps of other bikes they wreck just to retrofit fit them to customers RE.
When mine failed I unbolted the broken tab, then slid the broken tab under the part still attached to the battery and tightened it up. It held firm until I had it replaced.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: November 11, 2015, 01:12:57 am
Maybe this is about the amount of risk we are comfortable with. I accept that at some point I will have a flat, but I don't carry a spare inner tube or tire irons (the Enfield ones are made out of cheese-metal anyway). Going by postings, on balance the Electra will not suffer the battery terminal failure, whereas it will definitely (if I do nothing) run out of gas.

I disconnected the side stand cut out switch, because that issue was model-agnostic. In other words it really didn't matter what model you have, according to the postings it will cause a headache no matter what model you ride.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #26 on: November 11, 2015, 01:17:15 am
I disconnected the side stand cut out switch, because that issue was model-agnostic. In other words it really didn't matter what model you have, according to the postings it will cause a headache no matter what model you ride.

I don't think it even matter what BRAND of bike it is that stupid switch will cause problems, did on my KLR and unlike the RE you have to jumper the Kawasaki switch. I think it's a conspiracy, now where's I put my Tin Foil Hat?
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:32 am
yep-still the same old terminals so that's a $10 improvement for the future

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: November 11, 2015, 01:13:41 pm
My apologies to Blairio and some others for implying it's foolish to Not correct the terminal problem, and some other RE famous problems before they happen. My age requires some  dampening of my mouth.Tomj

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #29 on: November 11, 2015, 10:27:20 pm
............... My age requires some  dampening of my mouth.Tomj

Oh god no......   if we all did that : this place would be dreadfully quiet !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5