Author Topic: This is different...  (Read 5536 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 05:19:11 pm
Apparently in Britain's shameful past, poorly made guns were manufactured for trading purposes throughout the colonies, these guns when fired usually blew themselves apart, there was no mention of the manufacturer though. Hmmmm..
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 08:47:29 pm
There exists a macho "adventure riders" forum where most of the members would not even consider riding a bike without EFI and ABS. Especially ABS. They seem to think a bike without ABS is an automatic death trap. Now I can see some wimps thinking this way (but those types have no business on a motorcycle to begin with) but "adventure" riders should not be thinking this way. Riding, especially adventure riding, is all about taking risks, about getting out of the safety bubble we all live in, and having some fun. It's just hard to imagine anyone who would ride from the northern coast of Alaska to the southern tip of South America worrying that they are going to die because their bike does not have computer controlled brakes. And many of these riders have been riding for decades, long before motorcycles had computerized anything. And they obviously survived. Only to suddenly become terrified of riding without ABS. Geeeesh.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Otto_Ing

Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 09:43:19 pm
I have a ABS in my car since 25 years and didn't need it even once. If I had the choice to get one without and save 500$ I would not think twice. I worked in the company which invented ABS for motorcycles, they did it out of desperation because they were big in car brakes and missed the train on car ABS systems. The point of motorcycle ABS is discussed till date. The main advantage is supposed to be the ability to press the brake lever hard in a corner without risking a slight.... one of the main developers of that system rides a old MZ converted to diesel, another a Duc. 750 GT the rest only cars, hahaha....if they were to use their own products maybe they may stop developing them?

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 11:38:05 pm
the point about ABS especially in cars - if it saves you once -it's a good save!  ;) plus more chance or kids/babies on board although big kids ride the bikes too...lol
I've had the ABS pedal shake a couple of times followed by fruck ....that was close ::)...lol

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2015, 11:47:50 pm
I gotta go the Bill on this one. ABS is like a helmet, a waste of money until you need it then it's priceless.

We had it one of our Fire engine when I was in, 20+ years ago and it made a lot of difference in hauling 16 tons of engine and crew safely to a stop. I know without it I'd like run over a lady who pulled out in front of me on a run in a driving rain. But I was able to stop before I mashed her flat but not by much, she was drunk BTW and never even knew how close she came to being a road pizza.

Most people never learn how to use ABS. It's simple, mash the brake pedal as hard as you can and DON'T let up. Yes it'll shake, shudder and vibrate BUT that's what it should be doing. I'm not going to say there are not pro drivers out there who can't out brake ABS but they are very few and far between.   
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #20 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32:39 am
As any long time rider knows, the quickest way to meet the tarmac when it's wet is to lock up the front wheel by hitting the front brake too hard.

It's not always possible to avoid doing this when some knothead pulls out in front of you.  Usually in those cases your looking for all the stopping power you can find anywhere you can find it.

Of course, then you get the sudden wheel skid and POW!  Your headed for the asphalt.

The ABS on motorcycles can keep this from happening.
Yes, you might end up bumping into whatever you were trying to avoid but that's no worse (IMO) than hitting the wet street and skidding along while watching your motorcycle do the same right next to you and hitting the object.

In my 52 years of riding, I've dropped my motorcycle 5 times.
All but one was due to locking up the front wheel under hard emergency braking and 3 out of those 4 times the street was wet.

If ABS would have prevented those wheel lockups I'm sure those 3 crashes wouldn't have happened.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Otto_Ing

Reply #21 on: November 09, 2015, 05:47:59 am
I don't hate ABS per se, anyone who wants it shall get it. I am just fed up that they have to make a law out of it. It should be free choice like so many things....(except in heavy trucks maybe)

...I mean what's next? Mandatory hats bellow 5 degrees because of the risk getting a cold? police fining you if you don't wear one in winter?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 06:37:46 am by Otto »

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #22 on: November 09, 2015, 10:21:51 am
I have ridden a bike fitted with ABS and I admit I was impressed, but that doesn't mean I want it. What I think about these sort of things, is, it's legislation by proxy. Manufacturers supply it as a marketing tool over their competitors, insurance companies charge you more if you don't have it and on it goes, until every bike is fitted with it.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: November 09, 2015, 08:45:15 pm
It should be free choice like so many things....(except in heavy trucks maybe)

Try and buy a new car without ABS.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #24 on: November 09, 2015, 08:51:48 pm

That will have to wait until after my car with drum brakes completely wears out.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Otto_Ing

Reply #25 on: November 09, 2015, 09:01:21 pm

Yes, thats exactly what I plan to do, I'll dump my new scrap and get a brand new car - made in 1986. That way I avoid even taxes. Soon the world will look like CUBA anyway thanks to the environments. Best of all will be that the snowy winters are going to be fun again, no ABS, no Traction control and rear wheel drive as it was always ment to be.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 11:42:53 pm by Otto »

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #26 on: November 09, 2015, 11:01:27 pm
If cars didn't have ABS the idiots out on the road couldn't begin to drive their AWD SUV's in the winter. They are already dangerous enough speeding through the ice and snow on their way to and from work. They think better traction = better stopping.

Back when the only people who had 4WD on the road were people who were really needed it, and knew how to drive, it was a dream driving on the roads in the winter. The morons couldn't get out of their drives.

A lot of the people I see on the road nowadays need all the driving aids they can get.

I have never ridden a bike with ABS or combined braking. I can see a use for ABS, less for combined braking. As far as traction control I don't even understand it on a motorcycle.  If these are computerized aren't there just more systems to fail?

My 2013 Abarth has ESC and it is great. It let's me be a little bit of an idiot without too much danger, but you can turn it down or (in the US) turn it off completely.

In any case the Big G needs to see that motorbikes are, in the case of the US, pretty much a sport item. Take all the danger out and the sportiness of the endeavor is over.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 09, 2015, 11:05:39 pm
I grew up with old school 4 wheel drives ( Land Cruiser FJ-40) and quickly learned they were good for 2 things only. Get you further in, get you stuck worse. All they did on snow and ice was give you 2 more wheels to spin as you hit the ditch.
2012 Kawasaki Versys

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #28 on: November 09, 2015, 11:07:26 pm
+1
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #29 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:56 pm
 Buy vintage!

The future is the past!
 ;D
Home of the Fireball 535 !