Author Topic: Handlebar clamp difficulties  (Read 2847 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
on: October 26, 2015, 08:48:47 pm
I am installing a new brass handlebar clamp on my 2015 C5.  The old chrome one was really stuck on the studs and when I got it off, you could see much damage under the nuts. 

It looked like they were over torqued during installation.  The new brass one which appeared to be the same diameter at the handle bar is not going on well. 

Is there a special process for installing the handlebar clamp?
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 12:46:51 am
If you got the brass one from a vendor in India it is not likely to be an exact fit. Having said that you can make it work. We have always suggested that you start to tighten the nuts that are horizontal to the ground and pointing reward first
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:48:29 am
Thanks for the reply Kevin, I believe that the brass Indian clamp will need some relieving of material to make it fit.  The studs  are riding high causing the nuts and washers to contact the clamp at the top of the hole.  It also looks like there may be a problem with the inside radius of the clamp where it would go over the handlebar even though, before I attempted the installation, I compared the brass clamp side by side with the original chrome clamp and they appeared identical. 

The top three pictures are of the original chrome clamp and the lower two are the brass one. You can see in the top three pictures that the original part also had the same problem with the location of the studs.  Furthermore, the nuts were installed with such force that they almost came through the clamp to the inside. 

Is this common on RE's? 

I will start tomorrow by removing the new brass clamp and comparing once again with the original, relieve material as necessary (and safe), then re-install.

Last night I put the bolts in first, then tried to work the nuts.  If I start by tightening the nuts first, will I be able to put the long bolts in after?

One way to find out!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:50:38 am by Narada »

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:49:25 pm
All of the parts I have seen from aftermarket vendor from India need work to fit properly.  In most cases, just need to be shelved due to horrible quality and questionable metallurgy. 

Buyer beware!!
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:46 pm
IIRC brass is a soft metal that can be re-shaped (think cartridge reloading) without having to anneal it first...   Maybe just heating it in the oven will open it up enough to get it set on the handlebar and saddle.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:21:15 am
I have now successfully installed my Indian brass handlebar clamp. 

Both the original chrome clamp, and the new brass clamp, had the same problem with stud alignment.  I removed the brass clamp, put some used nuts on the studs then carefully whacked them with a big hammer.  This brought the studs  a little more into alignment. 

I then relieved the front of the brass part where the nuts were hitting, (just like they were on the chrome one). Following that, I took out some excess material from the inside radius of the brass clamp that was causing high spots. 

Upon installation, I employed the method recommended by Kevin; start with loosely installing the nuts and washers on the studs, which allowed them to center themselves properly on the clamp, and pulled the clamp inward.  I then installed the top bolts, used blue locktite on all threads, and tightened all nuts and bolts making sure that the handlebars were centered and adjusted to fit me. 

It all went together very nicely in the end.  By the time I got done it was getting dark so I could not get any good pictures of the finished job.  Hopefully, I can get some tomorrow and add them to the thread.

I love my new brass clamp because it has traditional Indian scroll work with paisleys and the words "Royal Enfield" cast into it.  I put Royal Maroon paint in the low areas to match my paint which I think looks pretty cool too.

Namaste, Ed.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:48 am
Everyone working on their motorcycle, needs a collection of Metal FILES, especially the small needle types.
From Your picture, Kevin said to tighten the horizontal studs first.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:42:05 am
Completely agree with pmanaz1973. Every thing I've bought off ebay from Indian sellers is nailed into a collage on my workshop wall. The best was a set of brass oil lines for my last iron barrel, apart from being dangerously restrictive, before I nailed them to the wall I decided to polish them up because they were a bit dull, they were made from old car brake lines and painted to look like brass. I'm sure there are a lot genuine honest sellers out there, but these bandits spoil it for everyone. I've learned to use trusted sellers.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 02:01:57 am
Sorry, I'm not too good at posting pictures yet.  We have not had sunny weather to get the bike out and take better pictures of it with the new handle bar clamp. rather than wait for better weather, here are a couple of pictures from inside the shed, just before I tightened the clamp down the other night.

thin

As for the quality of things from India... first off, my entire bike is from India which is something I really love about it.  Secondly, everyone I have bought parts from in India have treated me well. 

When I ordered this handlebar clamp they inadvertently sent me the wrong one.  I notified them of their mistake and they profusely apologized, sent me the right one with shipping at no extra cost, then told me to keep the other.  I believe that ebay has made such transactions much safer since no one wants bad reviews. 

Maybe it was worse in the past?  Maybe I've just been lucky?  I've taken a leap of faith a few times with India including the day I bought my C5 and I have not yet been disappointed.

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 02:15:30 am
it looks good with the color of your bike

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 05:09:41 pm
Thanks tenacres650. 

I really like it.  I can't wait for the rain to stop, so I can go for a ride and enjoy it!