Author Topic: engine smoking excessive  (Read 5425 times)

durdym

• Neophyte
on: October 26, 2015, 04:41:58 am
1995 500 bullet with only 300 miles has not ran for 5 or 6 years. started today compression felt good but smoked a lot I shut it off after about 5 minutes 

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 05:03:59 am
We'd need a little more info and background on the bike to help do any real guesswork. It could be anything from wet sumping to a bad motor.
...why did it sit so long? Have you had it this long or just get it ?what did you have to do to get it running?  Did you do a compression test?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:36:11 am
It could be anything from someone putting a lot of oil in the cylinder to preserve it during storage to someone not putting anything into the cylinder and it has now rusted the rings.

It also could be that someone put oil into the fuel tank to keep it from rusting and this oil has mixed with the fuel and is now causing the smoking.

Also, because we don't know the color of the smoke, the above guesses assumes it is due to excess oil.
If the smoke is black rather than blue/gray, it could be due to the float in the carburetor sinking, or more likely stuck in the "open" position and now an excess of fuel is being dumped into the carb.

If the smoke is white and it seems to evaporate into the air, it could be water vapor from water that was trapped in the silencer.  As it boils off, it turns to steam.  (This often happens in cold weather but almost never when the air temperature is warm.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:16 pm
Let it run until the smoking stops.
If it never stops, you need to take the engine apart.
Buying a 1995 Bullet, you should have been well aware of likely engine problems before you bought it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 01:39:53 pm
At 300 miles it is nowhere near run in yet. 

If it were mine I'd dose the tank with Seafoam just in case the oil control ring was sticky but otherwise would ride it accordingly and see if the smoking begins to taper off over the next several hundred miles.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:13:58 pm
 My guess is it's probably wet sumped from sitting so long. Drain the sump, let it drain for a good long while. This video will show you how to do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWczauM-nFs
If that's not the problem and doesn't stop the smoking you'll have to look further.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 03:46:00 pm
When I was in your predicament, I found the factory manual, complimented with the Snidal bullet manual a great help.
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

blasphemous

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 05:43:59 pm
I restored a 2000 with 300 miles that sat for 14 years. I went through everything and changed what needed changing (oils for sure) before attempting to start. I am guessing you did all that right ? Runs like a champ. Got 800 miles on it now.

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:22 am
hey,
my 2003 is 21km at the odometer, i have it since TODAY... (see my post)
i fired it up this afternoon and it produced a lot of white smoke...
i think it's because of wet sumping... it stayed 3 months in a boat between France and Tahiti...
or maybe after the break in period it'll smoke less?
in any case, i'll let you know...

but how much time do wet sumping produces white smoke?? 5mn? 1 hour??? when do we need to start looking for another culprit??
Ben

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 02:44:29 pm
Wet-sumping smoke should clear after a few minutes at idle (!) or a mile or two up the road once the scavenge pump has finally pumped away the excess oil.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:50:26 pm
As I said previously,  just ride it until the smoking stops. It might need to clear a wet sump, and it may need to re-establish the ring seal after long sitting, and also may need to get ring seal from running-in if it is a new bike that sat inactive  since new.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:15:22 pm
hey,
my 2003 is 21km at the odometer, i have it since TODAY... (see my post)
i fired it up this afternoon and it produced a lot of white smoke...
i think it's because of wet sumping... it stayed 3 months in a boat between France and Tahiti...
or maybe after the break in period it'll smoke less?
in any case, i'll let you know...

but how much time do wet sumping produces white smoke?? 5mn? 1 hour??? when do we need to start looking for another culprit??
Ben

You are at the exact mileage on a new iron barrel motor for an oil change. The amount of metal particles is at it's highest concentration during the first 100 miles. I would also change every 500 miles until break in is complete which is somewhere around 1500-2000 miles depending on how well you follow break in procedures that have been described in depth on this site many many times. Good luck with your break in. 
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 06:28:19 pm
Somehow, I can't get my mind around changing the oil after the bike has gone 21 km (13 miles).
Royal Enfield put almost that many miles on my 2011, G5 just testing it at the factory test track.

I would recommend getting at least 250 km (150 miles) on it before changing the oil for the first time.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

strat71

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 07:55:02 pm
yes i don't think i'll change the oil right now...
i'll drive a little before my first oil change...
Ben

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 01:21:56 am
Ok, so why is it that you haven't changed the oil...on a 12 yr old machine that's been sitting in a shipping container at sea for the past few months? It's absolutely the first thing I'd do. Filter too.

+1 Blltrdr.  On a fresh motor, I'd change the oil twice in the first 100 mi. After the first 20-25 miles, then again at the 100 mi interval. Then, I'd feel comfortable at the 500 mi interval thru break in. Is it a time and money thing?