Author Topic: oil filter o-ring measurements  (Read 1725 times)

kd1yt

• Scooter
on: October 19, 2015, 12:18:06 am
I like to change oil and filters often, and found/ordered a batch of 20 filters on that e-site. Any chance that anyone can tell me the measurements of the standard o-rings for the AVL oil filter change, as I would like to order some Viton ones from McMaster-Carr.  Thanks!

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 06:43:01 pm
I don't know the measurements of the oil filter o-rings.  The UCE and AVL use the same oil filter and I suspect the same o-rings

One source might be Ace Hardware or any hardware or auto supply store.  I just took the oil filer cover down to Ace Hardware and went thru their supply until I found one that seemed correct.  No leaks, o-rings are cheap.

Good luck
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:08:49 am
Unless the o-rings are damaged or already leaking it is best to leave them alone.

Although Viton (FKM) is exceptionally good with motor oil, it isn't a great deal better than the Nitrile usually used for the seals on a oil filter.

As an example, I have changed the oil over 15 times on my UCE powered motorcycle over a 4 1/2 year period and the original packings are doing fine.  (Well, on the last oil change I did change the o-rings but that was only because I have so many that came with the oil filter kits I bought from our host.)

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:33:03 pm
Some years ago we decided to start making oil filter kits and throw in the o-rings and gaskets. The main reason was because if you start the job and find a bad ring or gasket you are screwed (my words). They are cheap and did not add to the cost of the kit by an appreciable amount. Another reason was that like many things RE, they changed within the same models with no rhyme or reason and sometimes the changes are subtle. This way you have enough parts to cover all models. I change mine because I have them. Leaving them alone is an option.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com