Author Topic: Hello everyone.  (Read 1768 times)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
on: October 16, 2015, 12:55:22 pm
I've been running big singles for the past 40+ years. All high milers. 20 years on Enfields, never had any serious trouble. Always looked after the oil changes, but learned that there is no such thing as a maintenance schedule on Enfields, more like a rolling maintenance ritual. I just got rid of my beloved 350 iron barrel which was, apart from being dangerously slow, the smoothest sweetest handling bike I have owned to date. So I've now got an army green uce. The engine doesn't look to be as spanner friendly as the older ones, but then I might not need to use said panniers so often. Done a few thousand miles now with no problems, done the battery terminals and drilled out the pop rivets on that wire guard on the exhaust heatshield. I tacked on 5mm captive nuts and re-attatched it with some nice dome headed Allen screws. Love the bike, nearly as smooth as the old 350, and you don't need to play tunes on the gearbox when hills appear. I've no plans to modify, just want to pile on the miles and enjoy life. Oh, and as far as reliability goes on the older bikes, the first 350 I owned I put nearly 86 thousand miles on the clock, and 1roadside breakdown (clutch cable).
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:16:09 pm
86,000miles and only the one breakdown - great effort. well it won't be that good on the UCE but I think you will enjoy some of the other benefit of the ride.
you will have a bit more power and better top end cruising speed plus the electric start and the front disc brake.
plus it probably wouldn't sound as good as your old 350 but you can always go for a sports muffler from out host further down the track and that will give you a bit more bang for your buck....lol
apart from that enjoy your ride!

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:29:56 pm
Thanks Wild Bill. I had a 500 Bullet that I did a lot of work on and stupidly sold it to buy a V7 Guzzi, which was slower than the Enfield and wallowed like a barge when cornering with enthusiasm. I learned my lesson. Once the single/heavy flywheel bug gets you there is not much you can do to shift it.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 02:36:41 pm
  The single has a rhythm that electric motor smooth engines don't have. Follow the rhythm and away you go.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 12:35:37 am
I've been running big singles for the past 40+ years. All high milers. 20 years on Enfields, never had any serious trouble. Always looked after the oil changes, but learned that there is no such thing as a maintenance schedule on Enfields, more like a rolling maintenance ritual. I just got rid of my beloved 350 iron barrel which was, apart from being dangerously slow, the smoothest sweetest handling bike I have owned to date. So I've now got an army green uce. The engine doesn't look to be as spanner friendly as the older ones, but then I might not need to use said panniers so often. Done a few thousand miles now with no problems, done the battery terminals and drilled out the pop rivets on that wire guard on the exhaust heatshield. I tacked on 5mm captive nuts and re-attatched it with some nice dome headed Allen screws. Love the bike, nearly as smooth as the old 350, and you don't need to play tunes on the gearbox when hills appear. I've no plans to modify, just want to pile on the miles and enjoy life. Oh, and as far as reliability goes on the older bikes, the first 350 I owned I put nearly 86 thousand miles on the clock, and 1roadside breakdown (clutch cable).

Ahhh a military, welcome to the club.

;D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:15:24 pm
Welcome aboard the boards.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

Arctictanker

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:22:27 pm
I have been away for a bit.  Welcome, and I love my 2014 Military.
Northern Virginia
2014 C5 Military

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 04:49:18 pm
Thank you.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream