Author Topic: Got one, too!  (Read 3332 times)

Coronach

• Bulleteer
  • I don't get stressed, but I am a carrier
on: August 20, 2008, 01:34:19 am
In honor of Slider's "Got One" thread, I decided to alert everyone that there's another Bulleteer in the house. :)

I just picked up my 08 Iron ("last one available in the iron engine" according to my dealer, but Slider's dealer said the same thing, so who knows?) tonight. It's still on my pickup, actually, since I can't offload it by myself (my wife is at an evening class). However, even so, I couldn't resist trying to fire it up via the kicker while it was still strapped down.  I hopped up on it with my daughter (she's 15 months old), made sure that the whole thing was stable, and went through the fire-up procedure.

Got it, second kick. :D

My daughter started shrieking with laughter and clapping her hands. Apparently, she likes thumper engines, too. The horn made her jump (especially with it being reflected off the cab of my pickup, but all it took was the slightest blip of the throttle to make her squeal with laughter again.

After I shut it down and got her safely away from the pipes, I took a few minutes to go over the bike more thoroughly than I did at the dealership. I came up with two questions:

1. What is the small silver key for? I had assumed there was one for the ignition, one for the tool boxes, and one for the gas tank. However, the ignition key works the tool boxes and the lock for the battery cover. The second "black" key opens the gascap. But what's the third, all-silver key for? I can't seem to find a lock that it will operate, and I can't see any mention of it in the manual.

2. Unloading this thing...we strapped it down via compressing the front fork springs with two tiedowns, and running one strap over the back to make sure the rear end didn't bounce (basically, the way I've always seen it done, but never done myself). We ratcheted the front two tiedowns alternatively, until the springs were compressed. Should we be making sure that we release the tiedowns the same way? Or can you just pop one off and then the other?

And yeah, I have enough of a grade on my property that I can back the truck up and just roll the bike right off...no need to screw around with a ramp and balancing the bike down.

Wooo hooo. I am excited. :)

Mike
Columbus, OH
2008 Black Classic ES "Last One"
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 01:46:42 am
The small silver key is the fork lock. It's on the left side of the fork. It locks the fork with the wheel turned to make it harder to steal.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 01:56:27 am
The fork lock is a push bolt.  While turning the key push in on the lock assembly.  A slider bolt will extend.  Make sure your handlebars are turned to the right. 

When unlocking, relieve tension on the extended lock bolt by moving the handle bars a bit.

Standard European motorbike lock from the '50's!.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Coronach

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:26:17 am
Ah! OK. So, I missed a lock on there somewhere. Fork lock. Gotcha.

Thanks guys!

Mike
Columbus, OH
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

Prairie Hunter

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:54:24 am
Aw, and I was told I was getting the last one.......!
 ;)

Anyway, the little silver key should be for locking the forks.  Look around just ahead of the gas tank, you should find a keyhole with a little round cover.

Wouldn't worry too much about how you release the tie downs.  Just don't let the bike fall over when you release them!!

Welcome to the family--you're gonna LOVE it!!

In honor of Slider's "Got One" thread, I decided to alert everyone that there's another Bulleteer in the house. :)

I just picked up my 08 Iron ("last one available in the iron engine" according to my dealer, but Slider's dealer said the same thing, so who knows?) tonight. It's still on my pickup, actually, since I can't offload it by myself (my wife is at an evening class). However, even so, I couldn't resist trying to fire it up via the kicker while it was still strapped down.  I hopped up on it with my daughter (she's 15 months old), made sure that the whole thing was stable, and went through the fire-up procedure.

Got it, second kick. :D

My daughter started shrieking with laughter and clapping her hands. Apparently, she likes thumper engines, too. The horn made her jump (especially with it being reflected off the cab of my pickup, but all it took was the slightest blip of the throttle to make her squeal with laughter again.

After I shut it down and got her safely away from the pipes, I took a few minutes to go over the bike more thoroughly than I did at the dealership. I came up with two questions:

1. What is the small silver key for? I had assumed there was one for the ignition, one for the tool boxes, and one for the gas tank. However, the ignition key works the tool boxes and the lock for the battery cover. The second "black" key opens the gascap. But what's the third, all-silver key for? I can't seem to find a lock that it will operate, and I can't see any mention of it in the manual.

2. Unloading this thing...we strapped it down via compressing the front fork springs with two tiedowns, and running one strap over the back to make sure the rear end didn't bounce (basically, the way I've always seen it done, but never done myself). We ratcheted the front two tiedowns alternatively, until the springs were compressed. Should we be making sure that we release the tiedowns the same way? Or can you just pop one off and then the other?

And yeah, I have enough of a grade on my property that I can back the truck up and just roll the bike right off...no need to screw around with a ramp and balancing the bike down.

Wooo hooo. I am excited. :)

Mike
2008 Classic Bullet ES "Bettie"
2009 Triumph Bonneville SE
REA Member #13

Slider

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:15 am
LOL! I think we should start a new club. The only requirement for membership is that everyone must own the last iron Bullet available in the country. We shouldn't have any problem finding new members.

LIBOG: The Last Iron Bullet Owner's Group. :D

I must retreat to my place of Zen and meditate on this.

Coronach

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:06:10 am
No doubt :)

Got it off the truck with no drama, but I had some fun with the center stand. It took a bit more effort to get it up on there than I anticipated, so I was rocking the bike back and forth, with my bemused wife helpfully asking, "are you sure you're doing it right?" and smirking. :) I need a little practice at that.

And, I locked the forks with my silver fork lock key. So retro. :)

Mike
Columbus, OH
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:51 pm
On my '08 Classic AVL I got two gas cap and two ignition keys. The ignition key locks the forks.

Almost forgot, welcome, enjoy and pics.  :D

cowboysculptor

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 03:45:56 pm
Welcome!

Getting your bike up on the center stand gets easier once you have a feel for it.  I stay on my bike, right foot on the ground, left foot on the center stand.  Push the stand down to the ground, making sure the bike is level, and then pull back and slightly up on the handle bars while pushing the stand down.  I've found it helps to grip the bike with my thighs, even pushing on the tool boxes just a bit with my legs.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it's incredibly stable, and you can do most of the work you'll ever need to do with the bike on the center stand.

Have fun!

Peter
2007 Royal Enfield Bullet Deluxe
1978 cb750f

Coronach

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 04:16:26 pm
Yeah, once it went, it went pretty easily. So, I figured it was a technique thing. Plus, I had placed a dropcloth under the bike (since it is being stored in the basement), and I think the center stand was pushing the cloth rather than engaging the surface with enough force to deploy itself. I appreciate the tip.

Mike
Columbus, OH
1050 miles on the clock
OH! ... IO!

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 07:21:40 pm
Put your full weight on the centerstand foot bar with your heel - it will lever into place nicely with a small tug on the handlebar.

I have to use the left side standing proceedure.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:41 pm
Isn't there a lifting-handle on the left side of the bike, for pulling it up onto the centre stand?  Mine 350 iron engine has one, just above the left toolbox.

Stand on the left of the bike with left hand on the left handlebar grip and the right hand on the lifting-handle. Face the front of the bike.  Push down the centre stand foot-bar, get the bike level so both feet of the stand are in contact with the floor, and just straighten up and lean back.  Up she goes!

Having said that, I, too was amazed at how difficult it was when I first tried it - had to get someone to help me!

Tom
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:08 pm
It takes a little practice. I prefered standing next to mine. The lever on the stand is desingned to provide additional leverage, so you push down hard with your foot while pulling up on the handle.

Even my much heavier FJ1200 goes up on the center stand pretty easily with the right technique.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:47 pm
I rarely get off the bike before putting in on center stand. I just pull to a stop and lower center stand and rock back. Once you get the hang of it it takes less the 5 seconds to be parked.

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 02:36:35 am
Back home in the uk I have a couple of volumes of a book called "With the Flag to
Pretoria" a history of the Boar War, inside the front cover is an illustration
of a wounded Tommy loading his last bullet into the breech of his Lee-Metford rifle.

I always thought this would make fine tank artwork for a Bullet and fully intend
to do this when I get hold of one.Really regret parting with my 350. At the moment
the wifes Camaro has fiscal priority and I've just blown the motor on the Cherokee
so it may be a few months yet.