Author Topic: 5 Speed Gearbox Unidentified Object  (Read 1732 times)

Camerich

• Scooter
on: October 16, 2015, 06:32:16 am
Hi Friends,

I bought my 2005 Bullet 5 Speed a week ago and rode it around for only two days before the gear shaft lever broke at a stop light. As I unloaded the bike off the flatbed, the clutch cable broke inside the gearbox.

The previous owner told me the bike was converted to right side shift at the dealer. I have ordered a replacement gear shaft lever and clutch cable from Hitchcock. While I was disassembling the gearbox, I found a pill shaped object inside. Does anyone know where it belongs?

More images from my disassembly: https://imgur.com/a/V4Clp

Much appreciated

FastEddy

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 12:59:24 pm
It looks like the tab that was on the end of your clutch cable.They are usually soldered on but looks like it came off.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 01:54:44 pm
Looks to me like a valve lash cap from the engine, which somehow ended up in that tranny.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Camerich

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 03:21:17 pm
It looks like the tab that was on the end of your clutch cable.They are usually soldered on but looks like it came off.

Exactly what I thought at first glance. But the tab is intact. It was the cable that snapped. You can see it in the background of the photo.

Looks to me like a valve lash cap from the engine, which somehow ended up in that tranny.

It looks similar to a lash cap but it's more of a solid cylinder with a chamfer. Does not have a cap opening on the other side.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 05:26:53 pm
Here is a link to a clutch release mod that may be of benefit to you.

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,9395.msg106436.html#msg106436
No matter where you go, there, you are.