Author Topic: I may have found the dirtiest gas in the state.  (Read 1607 times)

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:32 pm
I started my bike this morning with no trouble, and she ran strong for the first quarter mile or so before she started bucking and sputtering. Soon it got so bad I thought she was going to stall right on the road. We were about a mile in at that point.

I decided first to just take the surface streets in to work instead of the highway, but quickly come to my senses and decide to nurse the bike home. She sputters and pops as we crawl back home.

Now, last night I fueled up at an unfamiliar station. I'm positive that I'm just dealing with a case of bad gas, but I did check the battery cables as I've heard stories about the negative cable giving out. Everything there was solid.

My question is - what are my options? She idles fine, should I just idle off some of the gas and top off with some tasty nonoxygenated fuel?
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:53:03 pm
     Bad gas is normally dirt and/or water. Before making this diagnosis you should first change the plug. Use an NGK BPR6ES. 80% of the time this will fix the problem. If you are one of the 20%, then you must drain and flush the gas tank and refill with fresh gas. Don't worry about ethanol free. The main issue with ethanol is its affinity to water. It's not an issue on a regularly used vehicle.
     A lot of water or dirt in the gas may require the removal of the injector to dump it out. Worst case would require replacement of a clogged injector, but usually running a fuel system cleaner such as sea foam will take care of any residue.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:46:07 pm by Vince »

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:15:43 pm
Vince - Just curious, why a BPR8ES and not a BPR6ES?
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:24 pm
Same thought occurred to me, though I use an iridium one anyway. Won't dirt in the fuel clog the feed side pump filter? I've never understood why the pump doesn't have a replaceable filter like my Beemers used to have. A ploy to force you to buy a whole pump assembly, or does someone know a way round this eg an alternative fuel pump. Just curious.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:14:08 pm
did you completely remove the battery and check them?

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 10:29:37 pm
I was going to ask about the plug recommendation, too. I've been using a BPR7ES for quite some time.

I did completely remove the battery, and the wires show no sign of breakage, no weak spots, or damage.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:42 pm
     OOPS! sorry. I sell lots more 8's than 6's. Just went on auto pilot. Use BPR 6 ES

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:38 pm
 I use the BP6ES in my Iron Barrel. No need for the BPR6ES resistor plug when the spark plug boot already has one integral to it.

Might be worth checking to verify if your UCE machine has the resistor plug boot or not.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:03 pm
I'm guessing about 98 percent of the "bad gas" is due to water and water being what it is will start to mess up the injector if it is left in there.
The fuel pumps usually have a filter that can stop dirt but water passes right thru them.

If I'm right it would be a good idea to syphon as much fuel as possible out of the tank, remove the tank and then invert it to get rid of the rest of it.

While the tank is removed, work the fuel hose down to drain out as much fuel as possible.

Then reassemble everything, refill the tank with good gas and go for a ride to get the good gas thru the injector.

If your at a filling station and you notice a tanker filling up the stations underground tanks, go find another station.
When they refill the tanks it mixes up any water that has collected at the bottom of the tank into the gasoline.  It takes quite a while for the water to resettle on the bottom.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Royal Stargazer

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 12:28:02 am
Everyone, thanks for your help. I ended up having a fresh BPR6ES plug just laying around, changed that out, and got her started.