Author Topic: Electrical issue, need help  (Read 2758 times)

krimp

• Grease Monkey
on: October 12, 2015, 04:56:50 pm
A few days ago, it rained and I didn't think anything of it. I've ridden in the rain before without issue. This time though, was different. I headed home while it was raining and noticed that my turn signals and horn stopped working. I pulled over, looked at the fuse and sure enough, it was blown. I replace the fuse, then try to get home again. About 20 minutes later and not more than two miles from home, she died completely. I pulled over again and looked at the fuses. This time, I had blown the main fuse. I replace it, then get back on and head home again. Before I make it 30 feet, the signal and horn fuse blew again. I got home, parked her in her normal spot, then went inside. It hasn't rained since that day, but I have blown the signal and horn fuse at least once a day. I thought the issue might be with my horn, so I disconnected it this morning, verified that the fuse was good and rode to work. About 20 minutes into my ride, I noticed that my turn signals weren't working again. Something is overloading the signal and horn connection. Do any of you have any ideas about the cause of this problem?
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:42:21 pm
Rain.
   Sounds like water in your left-hand switch module or the connectors is most likely the culprit.
   Remove your switch module, carefully clean all the contacts using a decent electrical contact cleaner, then allow to dry out completely. Re-assemble it and then do the same for your right-hand module as it most likely has some water in it, too.
   Then follow the wiring to the connectors and clean and dry those before re-assembling.
   If the problem continues, you get to be an award-winning spark chaser.  :)

Seriously, if you keep blowing fuses you have a cross short somewhere and need to find and correct it before any real damage occurs.
   It wouldn't hurt to take a good look inside the casquette to look for chafing wires.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 12:55:17 am
I'm betting somewhere there is a powered wire that is just barely making contact with some bare metal somewhere.

The fact that it showed up during a rain storm is most likely just  a coincidence.

When I first got my G5, I inspected every wire I could see and was amazed at the number that were very close if not touching some sharp metal edge.

I knew these would make trouble for me so I got some vinyl tubing, cut short lengths of it and split it from end to end.
That allowed me to place the wires inside the tubes so they could never rub on the metal edges.

While checking out the wire/metal edges, also look for any place where a wire could be pinched by something.

Sometimes they will find their way between things like fuel tanks and frames or metal brackets and fenders.  When the brackets are tightened, the pinched wire will soon wear thru its insulation and short out.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:58:55 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 03:31:08 am
Is your rear tail light working?
Rocket

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 10:35:50 am
I would follow what heloego and Arizoni have mentioned. If your connections are fine at the switch modules, then I would follow the wiring looms and have a look around in the nacelle/casquette. Most likely you will find the culprit there, or behind the battery where the positive loom branches off. But you never know for sure until and unless you have a multimeter.

Another quick but not an esteemed way to diagnose will be to install all the fuses back. Have your nacelle/casquette open. Give the wiring looms within the nacelle a nudge. Try the horn and hope that you hear the fuse 'pop'. If it doesn't happen around this area, try it around the battery. It will at least let you pinpoint the area where the short is occurring. You might need a few fuses  :-X
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 10:45:16 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 03:25:24 pm
Is your rear tail light working?

Not when the fuse pops.

Thanks for the suggestions. I made it home yesterday and to work this morning without the fuse blowing, which tells me that something has dried out finally. I will take apart the switch this weekend.
2014 Cream C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:11:43 pm
I would follow what heloego and Arizoni have mentioned. If your connections are fine at the switch modules, then I would follow the wiring looms and have a look around in the nacelle/casquette. Most likely you will find the culprit there, or behind the battery where the positive loom branches off. But you never know for sure until and unless you have a multimeter.

Another quick but not an esteemed way to diagnose will be to install all the fuses back. Have your nacelle/casquette open. Give the wiring looms within the nacelle a nudge. Try the horn and hope that you hear the fuse 'pop'. If it doesn't happen around this area, try it around the battery. It will at least let you pinpoint the area where the short is occurring. You might need a few fuses  :-X

This.  Lots of things go wrong in the wiring nest inside the nacelle.  Easy to get to it by removing the headlight.  Pay particular attention to the connectors and where the wiring loom crosses the steering head.  It's been known to either rub through the insulation or get snug and pull on connectors when the bars are turned to full lock.

Less likely but also possible is the wiring that runs under the rear fender to the rear light.  Worth a look for any obvious problems.

Scott

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 09:42:27 pm
I had similar symptoms from the wires in back of the fuse box shorting against the metal hanger. See photo.
Rocket

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 11:21:23 pm
The reason I discount water as the culprit in the fuse blowing is a 12 volt systems voltage is too low for any large amount of electricity to escape thru it to ground.

If we were talking about the high voltage from the ignition coil to the sparkplug, that is a different matter and a little water can cause all sorts of havoc in that system.
The rest of the motorcycle is using just 14 volts or less.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 11:30:20 pm
I'd check as much of the loom as you can , very closely. The wiring on the machines is rubbish , sadly .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 05:12:42 am
The problem is not behind the light.
2014 Cream C5

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 06:13:02 am
Pull out the fuse box and check the wires.
Rocket

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 15, 2015, 04:06:30 pm
I may have resolved the issue. From what I could tell, none of the wires are frayed. This is simply an issue with the way the fuse blocks are held in place. This particular fuse block came loose from it's mounting point and was sitting underneath where it would normally sit. Right next to the new location, is a nut and bolt, holding part of the fuse box in place. I believe that the fuse block was coming into contact with that bolt, causing the short.

I relocated the fuse block back to it's proper location and have not had the problem occur again. If everything holds together for the next week, I will call it good.
2014 Cream C5

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 05:35:38 pm
Good news!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.