Author Topic: Hi there :-)  (Read 6176 times)

TheShaggyDA

• Scooter
on: October 10, 2015, 12:07:21 pm
Been reading the forum over the last week or so, thought I'd register and say hi. I've just got my 2007 Electra X back from having a dyno and tweak session that ironed out a kink in the curve nicely, it's a joy to ride. It's got the Hitchcock's Stage 1 kit (Amal carb, filter, TCI, unrestricted downpipe and muffler), don't know what the top end is yet, but an indicated 85mph was a GPS 80mph, (with my lardy 260lb arse on it) and the valves weren't bouncing. I've a TinyTach I'm going to fit temporarily so I can get my ear in, and see if it's worth going to a 19T front sprocket. Also need to sort out a topbox and mirrors that actually let me see something other than elbows :-)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 12:57:52 pm
I've just got my 2007 Electra X back from having a dyno and tweak session that ironed out a kink in the curve nicely, it's a joy to ride. It's got the Hitchcock's Stage 1 kit (Amal carb, filter, TCI, unrestricted downpipe and muffler), don't know what the top end is yet, but an indicated 85mph was a GPS 80mph,

That little blip at 3,000 - have you looked into that? Do you feel it? Was that the ironed-out kink you mention above? What was it?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TheShaggyDA

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:21:14 pm
The blip at 3000 was the last thing that was sorted - the current setup is the red lines. The shop played with various slides and main jet sizes - the fuel/air mix is spot on from 2k up.

The previous owner seemed to be more interested in bolting shiny things on and hearing it start up in the garage, it was running way too rich (only got 50MPG), was a bugger to start and felt legless. I found the earth strap on the battery wasn't connected when I got it home - it had been earthing through the rectifier and burnt out part of the loom, taking the battery with it.

All sorted now, looking forward to running a few tanks and seeing what the MPG settles at.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:27:22 pm
That's pretty good, and about what could be expected from a well-tuned AVL with the mods that you have in it.

You won't have to worry about valve bounce until it gets near 5800 rpm. That's where the problems arise.

Also, 5000 rpm and 80 mph reflect typical performance at top speed. I suspect it will handle a 19T sprocket okay. You may, or may not, like the 19T any better, though. As you can see, the bike is much happier at the upper half of the rev range.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

TheShaggyDA

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:07:03 pm
Aye, it feels like it can sit all day at 65 happily. I'm guessing that's around the 4000 rpm mark, (which would slot in nicely at the peak torque point) but until I fit the TinyTach I won't be certain. I may hold off on the 19T - by the time I load up with camping gear too it may leave the lower end lacking slightly.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:10:21 pm
With std gearing, 4000 rpm is approximately mph.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:22:48 pm
With std gearing, 4000 rpm is approximately mph.

???   ???
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 03:24:53 pm
???   ???

Ha! I don't know how that got left out. I could swear that I typed in the number!
I turned 60 this year, so it must have been a "senior moment"!

Anyway, it should be approximately 64 mph.
 ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 04:49:10 pm
Ha! I don't know how that got left out. I could swear that I typed in the number!

;D

Since we're here, just curious: What RPM would 64 be in 4th? (and I promise to write it down somewhere this time  ;) ).

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:38:51 pm
            Since we're here, just curious: What RPM would 64 be in 4th? (and I promise to write it down somewhere this time  ;) ).
I am not sure.  I don't know the ratio. I would guess about 500 rpm more.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 05:42:31 pm

;D

Tom you're as sharp as ever, if I had to guess I'd say the number lock key on the keyboard had been toggled.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:24 pm
I am not sure.  I don't know the ratio. I would guess about 500 rpm more.

1st  14.48
            2nd   9.5
            3rd    7.2
            4th    5.73
            5th    4.73

2.11 to 1 final

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 09:48:25 pm
More Electra-X tweaking, excellent! There seems to be something of a flow of low mileage examples finding new and more enthusiastic owners, which is good, as they haven't made any for 8 years. The figures you have been getting sound about right.

Welcome to the forum, albeit from your side of the Atlantic. Since you're fessing up to 260lb, I'd recommend forgetting about that 19T sprocket, either leave it on 18 if it's performing OK, or even drop it down to a 17T like I did (I'm not quite as heavy, but not that far off!). Mine was struggling to rev out in top despite a decent carb and exhaust upgrade, the 17T (giving you roughly 5:1 in top, same as the classic Indian 500 Bullet and the Sixty-5 models) cured that and resulted in a nippier bike around town (it was my ride to work bike in Southampton traffic, it actually made commuting theraputic) and no appreciable loss of top speed. Hitchcocks are keen to sell oversize sprockets, but they don't necessarily make the bike go faster. Really, they're better if you're doing lots of distance touring, and looking for increased fuel economy.

As you have been reading up on the forum you'll know there is less available for tuning Electras than there is for the classic models, and people have had to improvise. Bullet Whisperer's discovery of the "S" cams probably remains the real breakthrough item of the last few years.

Regards,

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 04:00:42 am
not to mention the avl fireball head from ace!

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 04:10:26 pm
True, but that's a high-end option, "S" cams are a whole lot easier on the wallet if you're prepared to be patient in finding a set. Unless Ace has sold some more, I think tooseevee on this forum is the only person on the planet who actually has one of Ace's AVL head conversions!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 07:36:16 pm
i fully intend on doing the ace head mod as soon as the opportunity arrises

i found a old stock set of s cams on the used section of HC along with the performance tci