Author Topic: Decisions, Decisions!!  (Read 5127 times)

John_S

• Scooter
on: October 07, 2015, 04:32:35 am
Hi- new to the forum, and having a purchasing dilemma. I've been out of the saddle for a few years- more than I care to dwell on- and trying to decide what mount will be my weapon of choice when I hit the streets again. My original decision was down to a Triumph Bonneville or H-D Sportster, and that's been knocked down to the Triumph- but now I'm taking another look at Enfields, specifically the GT. It seems a bit pricey for what you get, but (yes I admit it) as the Jedi Master says, "The Cool is strong in this one". My riding is going to consist mainly of commuting to work each day (30-minute ride at most) and weekend day rides, one-up with little to no baggage.

Do most of you have a Connie as a second or third bike, or is it your primary ride? Is it a practical bike for commuting- or would a C-class Enfield fit that bill a bit better (I do like the C-5 Classic as well)? I'm not all that interested in canyon-carving or being the fastest bike on the road; I'm more the Gentleman Motorcyclist type, I suppose!

Advice, suggestions, or any 'run away!' comments will be most welcome :)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 05:53:28 am
Hi John. Welcome.
Imagine you were back in the '70's and wanted a new car. Something fun, with character. You decided on a Triumph Spitfire. You knew even before you bought it that it's going to give you trouble, but you do it anyway. That's what you're looking at with an Enfield. You might be lucky and get a really good, trouble free one, or unlucky and bag a nightmare. That's my take on it, from a sample size of 1. I bought my GT because my heart was set on it. If my head had anything to do with it I'd have bought a Yamaha. I love the GT and it's a blast to ride. Not my only bike, but is my daily ride for the last year and a bit. It hasn't broken down but has needed a bunch of lovin' along the way. Build quality is below average comparing with Japanese or European bikes.
Practicality wise, I can't complain. I commute on it, a few short tours and lots of scratching in the hills. In 10,000km it hasn't broken down. it's comfortable to ride for me but maybe a taller person than me (5'6") might feel cramped.
If I were looking for a bike today I'd look at a Ducati Scrambler or Guzzi V7. But that's only because I already have the GT ;).
It's a nice bike.
My 2c and YMMV etc.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:57:36 am
I've had my GT for a year and 4000 trouble free miles and haven't regretted trading my Sportster for it once.

It'll do anything you've said you require of it, but you need to check it over more often than you would a Triumph or other modern bike.

The Triumph is closer to a Japanese bike when comparing a bike's character too. Enfield are still old school bikes and are far more involving and rewarding to own and ride than a Triumph etc.

If you're not bothered about that and just want a reliable modern bike, then any modern bike would suit you.

If you wanted a compromise between the less character of the Triumph and the question of reliability of the Enfield, perhaps the Moto Guzzi V7 or Kawasaki W800 might suit? They're both more expensive though.

Good luck deciding.

John
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:31:51 am by JohnDL »

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:42:27 pm
I have other bikes, and have still managed to put about 4000 miles on my GT since May.  If you are going to ride to work on the highway for a half an hour, then look at the triumph.  These bikes are for back road riding.  They work, just not very quickly...But its about riding a 60 year old motorcycle that's brand new, and parts are available!  Just my opinion.    Good luck in your search!

John_S

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:37:36 pm
Thank you for your replies on this! I failed to mention in my original post that I'm in line to inherit an HD Electra-Glide probably in the next year if my uncle hangs up his helmet for good. That's a lot of bike for my purposes, so what I may very well do is get the Triumph to begin with and in time if indeed the HD falls into my clutches I'll most likely sell it and with part of the proceeds I'll add an Enfield- most likely a Connie- to the stable. (I've heard RE is adding a Twin to the lineup soon, so that may be worth waiting for anyway.) Again, thanks and be safe out there ~

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:07:11 pm
Hello John_S and welcome.

I have a Tour Glide. Marvelous machine. It sits for the most part now since getting my Bullet several years ago. Almost all my other bikes have gone on to new owners due to lack of use.

My commute averages 45 minutes to an hour each way depending on weather. Weekend jaunts are for all day fun including un improved roads or shorter trips to do errands.

If your plans include the occasional un paved road I'd like to nudge you towards the Bonneville or the Bullet over the Sportster.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

John_S

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 03:18:07 am
Having two HD dealers in town, I'm pretty much up to my eyeballs in leather and loud pipes. We have a sport bike contingent that is regularly risking high-speed death, too. I think I'm somewhere in the middle- I'm a very responsible rider, but if I have a need to do the Ton I want that power on tap. I know a RE isn't going to deliver that, but in my mind (never having ridden one before) it just requires a different mindset on the road. I've already taken the Sportster and HD in general off of the short list, and I know I don't want any of the 'rice rockets'. That pretty much narrows it down to a few true 'standards' and that means Triumph or Enfield or a handful of lower-end Japanese rides. I tell you, though, I do like the bare-bones Yamaha SR 400 thumper- if it had an electric start option I'd be looking at it a lot more.

I'm trying to think with my head at least as much as with my Cool radar! On looks alone it's a Connie GT, hands-down, but I do keep in mind reliability and practicality for my needs. As I said, though, I'll probably wind up with a Triumph first and then an RE, and my garage can be the stage for the Bonnie and Connie show :D

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:19:38 pm
I think the GT is getting a bad rap about it's reliability.  Some make it sound like they break down on a regular basis. Mine is a year and half old  and so far it has not left me stranded. I have found a couple of manufacturing screw ups, but easy fixes.  Since I started riding back in the sixties, I am probably less picky about these issues than most of the younger members of this forum.  I also looked at the Triumph (a great bike), but think I made a good choice with the GT.  If you get one, be ready to answer a lot of questions everywhere you park it. 8)

Good Luck...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

chuychacon

• Bulleteer
  • TEAM BANZAI 88
Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 03:46:12 pm
Well on the RE you will have people asking to take pics,asking how long the restoration took and even arguing with you if you say its a new bike, your riding buddies bikes will get ignored!
Beside that my GT runs great , only problem was one screw on heat shield would loosen up until I put a lockwasher on it.
1100 miles later it runs smooth,no flat spot,no stalling,no backfiring just a great bike that loves corners,you can lean it way  over

Good luck
Ps This is what I would love to park next to it ::)
Moto Guzzi Lemans 1980
Kawasaki 750 Twin Cafe 1982
Honda XL 350 older brothers age 18-20
Honda Dream 50cc hand me down age10-14

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 05:50:26 am
John S --Choosing a new machine is always a dilemma.  I tried the GT but it just didn't fit my aged body tho much fun.  Chose the C-5 and the best decision I have ever made.  It is of the utmost importance in dealer set up and proper break in.  The C-5 is just fun and it will run just about as fast as you want when broken in. The most comfortable zone is in the 60 to 65 mph range hour on end and receiving better than 70 miles per gal.  The occasional run up to 75/80 gets a bit nervous.  Tire pressure is critical depending on your riding style.  Mine now has over 7000 miles with only oil changes and hasn't needed to return to the dealer.  Oh yes, you will also get a lot of attention ~!

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 06:13:57 am
If you are going it inherit an E-glide then an RE is the ideal bike to go along side it. I commute 20 miles on mostly freeway every day with the RE C5 and I feel disappointed if I have to excersize my Guzzi or BMW. Those bikes are now reserved for long distance rides, and even then I would prefer my RE. Riding the RE puts all the fun back in riding two wheels. Every ride is an adventure even though I never worry about the bike breaking down. I got back all the romance of riding back I the 70 ' s with my RE.

Frankly I prefer the C5 to the GT because it has a more friendly character.
Rocket

colorado_conti_gt

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 09:46:05 pm
John, Figured my first post here should be of some benefit so here goes... I was in the exact same position. I was looking at a Triumph Thruxton. Beautiful bike, great name, no question right. I ended finding one a ways away from my house and needed to trailer it home. So long story short, I go to my local u-haul (which happens to be a bike dealer) and I see this beautiful bike on the lot. Turns out it an RE Continental GT. After  :o :o :o for a bit, I talked to the sales guy and ended up buying. So glad I did!

RE gets a bad rap for being made in India. But think about it, one of the reasons these bikes are made in India is because the market is there. If RE had such a big problem with reliability they wouldn't be outselling Harley and Triumph world wide. The other thing to consider is the simplicity of the Continental. If you have a few wrenches and a little bit of mechanical inclination you can fix just about anything on the bike. Where as most modern bikes have a too many bells and whistles and complicated parts, the Continental is beautifully simple.

Obviously, there is a lot to consider with your commute and how you will use the bike, riding position, etc. But if you are looking for a bike with a ton character thats just plane fun to ride, the Continental is it! I love mine, I cant stop riding it. And the little things that aren't perfect make it feel like a vintage bike. Thats just me though, I would rather feel the road than fall asleep while I ride. Shoot me a message if you have any additional questions. Glad to help!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:50:23 pm by colorado_conti_gt »
2015 Continental GT - Black

REvs

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 01:59:39 am
I bought a GT back in March and I absolutely love it. I've had no problems and it's been a lot of fun. I would only say that the 7 inch headlight and bar and mirrors are a must to add on. I considered the thruxton also but it was considerably more expensive. I prefer the size and weight of the GT for city driving.
14 Continental GT, 73 Suzuki TC125

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 02:06:50 am
~  I'm a very responsible rider, but if I have a need to do the Ton I want that power on tap. I know a RE isn't going to deliver that,~

Ace Performance and  Fireball.... ;D
 Do a site search
No matter where you go, there, you are.

skyfli

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 08:25:33 am
REvs, why the 7" Headlight?
Isn't the one that comes on the bike 7"?
I haven't done to much night riding and just curious as what the 7" upgrade does?

Tony from Redcliffe Qld Australia.
Continental GT 2015