Author Topic: ConnieG is talking  (Read 5802 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
on: October 06, 2015, 12:07:49 am
I got the Sportster muffler bolted onto the stock header. Added Seafoam to the fuel. I have a new DEKA battery. Thought I would fire the ignition. Lights, horn, everything was ok. No starter motor. I pulled in the clutch and the ignition started. Now start up is no problem. I figure I should clean up the contact in the handlebar switch.
  I unbolted the side stand switch. I needed to clean one of the bolts up. Rough thread. I'll bolt it back on tomorrow. I'll go for a short ride tomorrow.
  The motor  does not vibrate like my '04 did. Looking forward to a short ride.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:39:40 am
Sweet!
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 01:40:27 am
 Pics or it didn't happen  ;)  ;D

:)
No matter where you go, there, you are.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:58:43 am
So Iv heard people  on here talking about it but not sure what it id or does  or maybe I know of it by a different name... Seafoam,  What is it?
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:13:44 am
So Iv heard people  on here talking about it but not sure what it id or does  or maybe I know of it by a different name... Seafoam,  What is it?

It is a fuel additive similair to Stabil. They have different varities for different needs.

I have never used it, so that is the extent of what I know about it.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 03:50:21 am
Ok yeah that's what I was thinking it was.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 11:36:54 am
Thought I would fire the ignition. Lights, horn, everything was ok. No starter motor. I pulled in the clutch and the ignition started. Now start up is no problem. I figure I should clean up the contact in the handlebar switch.

Check the neutral switch?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:04 pm
mattsz - I removed the sidestand switch. I'll bolt it back on. Where's the neutral switch?
  I'm thinking it might be the handlebar pod/switch. The starter button got better as I used it. The bike has not been run since I bought it August. I'll open the pod and clean it up. Hoping....

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 01:46:04 pm
The neutral switch is mounted on the flat top of the engine case, just aft of the starter motor.

When in doubt, you can always count on Singhg5 to have a useful video!  Here's one which describes his broken Neutral switch wire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6W7QS5WQc

Not sure about the GT wiring, but I assume it's the same as the "classic" models: To e-start the engine, you must either be in neutral or have the clutch lever pulled in.  If your neutral switch was stuck "open", or if the shifting cam plate (which allows the switch to close when in neutral) was not quite in the exact neutral position, it would have seemed as if your bike was in gear and so it wouldn't start - until you pulled in the clutch lever...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 02:12:19 pm
Aha. Too bad I didn't get the owner's manual. Thanks, mattsz. I'll look there on the engine.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 03:55:34 pm
Are you still having trouble?  This could have been a little one-time glitch you never see again...

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 04:17:50 pm
You can have the bike neutral, but if the indicator light is no lit, it won't start with out the clutch pulled in.

This makes me wonder why they couldn't have wired the kick stand switch the same. I have never had the bike die at a stop when I have it in neutral but the indicator light isn't lit. Maybe it is DOT thing. They want the bike to die if the stand is down. Myself, I would settle for a nag. Maybe blair the horn. That would make for more interesting but less dangerous kickstand switch malfunctions.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 04:33:03 pm
It's funny, my first bike didn't have/work a kickstand switch.  I was a new rider, and would continuesly ride off with the stand down.  The first time I would turn left, the stand would pop up, and I would feel silly.  I guess it was farther back on the bike, so it was less likely to upset the chassis. 

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 05:19:41 pm
You can have the bike neutral, but if the indicator light is no lit, it won't start with out the clutch pulled in.

Right.  That's the neutral switch doing one of the things it was designed to do...

I have never had the bike die at a stop when I have it in neutral but the indicator light isn't lit.

If I understand you here... it shouldn't.  It's just the electric start circuit that's disabled when the neutral indicator isn't lit (i.e., the neutral switch is closed), and/or the clutch lever isn't pulled in.  They just don't want you to crank the motor while the drive wheel is connected to the motor..

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 07:42:54 pm
Mattsz - I took a ride. The starter not working is intermittent still. It's hard to see the neutral light on this sunny day.
  I'm idling high, 1600 to 1900. Gotta do something.

I'm draining oil. Is that one 19mm all there is? I bought the oil change 5 pack!
  This is so much better than my '04.
Pictured is my new chain and the HD Sportster muffler. I will be switching to a PCV, Carpy header. Already switched to K&N air filter, NGK spark cap and NGK plug.