Author Topic: Hard panniers for EFI Classic  (Read 29323 times)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #60 on: November 21, 2015, 04:12:00 am
Heloego!  Your a maniacal genius!  You will be able to remove your cargo box, and then watch  big screen TV!  Not sure if the RE will have enough electrical power to run it though.  You may need to add a solar panel.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #61 on: November 21, 2015, 11:13:08 am
Narada - those brackets will look nice when they're done!

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:40 pm
Thanks mattsz,
I'm hoping for this weekend, then I can take them for a ride!

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #63 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:43 am
Solar Power?!?

Hmmmmmm...  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 01:27:17 am
Third time's a charm!

Narada: I'm waiting for the finished pics of your brackets! Nice!

Here are the VESA mounts I ordered for my trunk/rack. 1/8" mild stamped steel with locking lever. The aluminum base plate is also visible.

After fabrication, mounted the trunk adapter to the trunk:

The completed base plate assembly mounted to the C5 rack. Using my existing forward bracket and three steel rubber-lined 1/2" clamps for fixing the rear of the plate. You can see the receiver at the front of the mount and the locking lever in the "open" position. And no that is not my "other bike" in the background.  ;)

Completed trunk mount. Loaded up with my tool tote tray (20 lbs) and dinosaur 17" laptop and accessories for total of 27.5 lbs. Rock solid! Also fabbing a pillion seat using the adapter from the second VESA mount set.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:30:06 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:05 am
That really is nice work heloego.  I'm impressed.  A nice clean installation, right on the RE cargo rack.  I would not have thought that was possible.  And so solid too!

I actually got some time into my bracket job today.  I just need to do a little more work tomorrow after football.  Hopefully, I'll have some pics by tomorrow night.

So, how many channels do you get?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: November 29, 2015, 01:40:31 pm
Thanks!  ;D

Truthfully, since I haven't had the time to take it for a spin yet, my only concern is how the .050" aluminum base plate will hold up. I have access to plenty of materials, so if I have to beef it up or replace it with something heavier like .125" plate it won't prove difficult.

Seriously like your concept for your brackets! I haven't welded anything in 30 years, but I might just ask the boss if I can get an early Xmas acetylene rig. Closest thing to the flame thrower I asked for when I was a kid.  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:35 am
Be careful what you ask for heloego! 

First is one of the two rear support brackets I fabbed.  My welds came out a little crappy, but I ground them down and they'll do.  The left pannier bracket located the pannier pretty well, so I made that support bracket first, and thought I would copy it for the other side. 

As you might guess, the right side bracket needed 1/2 inch of flat bar added (welded in) at the top shock bracket to be equidistant with the left side, from the center of the rear mudgaurd.  You can see the longer section in some of the photos. 

The lower right bracket, at the lower mudgaurd stay mount location also needed 1/2 inch added.  For this I used some 7/16 inch I.D. iron pipe taken from an old Dodge big block intake manifold (being a Mopar guy, I couldn't resist).  This was cut into a 1/2 inch length, and welded to the lower bracket to match the lower mudgaurd stay mounting tube.  This is also shown in a couple of pictures.

Other pictures show complete bracket views of left, right, and rear, also whole bike with new hard panniers.  I cannot express enough how thrilled I am at having panniers that hang correctly.  They are evenly spaced and look correct from any angle. 

Having been involved in much fabrication and construction in my life, I can't help but see when something is crooked, (like my bracketless soft panniers were).  These panniers are not!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 12:34:49 pm
Well damn, doesn't that look fine!!!  8)

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:37 pm
Again, I really like what you did with the brackets. The end result made the effort worthwhile!  8)

That looks like a '67 'Cuda in the back. Any pics?

'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 06:07:02 am
Thanks for the compliments guys, I agree it was worth the effort, and to give credit where it is due, Blue Garage gave me a good start.  Those panniers really added to the character of the bike.

Yes, that is a '67 formula-s fastback, 360 (formerly 340) 5-sp, 4:10 8-3/4 rear.  The rusty wheels are on it for outdoor storage, with good car cover.  This is the best picture of it with a Royal Enfield.  It didn't seem right to post a pic here without an RE in the photo.  I might get a better shot tomorrow of the RE with new panniers near the front of the "flying fish".

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 06:31:26 am
congratulations! that's one of the best panniers jobs I've seen and a true credit to you on a job well done.
as for the car any photos of the interior and dash.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 03:26:04 pm
The '67 always got my blood running (drool), though I prefer the coupe over the fastback. Something about the '67s... The only others from that year that got to me were the Chevelle SS and the GTO, but they will always be close 2nds.
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:20 am
Please forgive me for not posting about panniers, but I thought you might like this heloego;

So, you prefer the 'Coupe?    I named this one "The Killer Tomato".

'67 Barracuda 'Coupe.  Originally picked up as a hitchhiker into this car when it was a stock slant-6 sweetheart.  I was driven home, and traded driver straight across for a Fuji 18 speed bicycle 10 minutes later. 

Drove about 100,000 mi. then totaled by lady turning left in front of me, I didn't even have time to hit the brake.  So I had the frame straightened, installed fiberglass nose, built 440, 4-sp., 12 pt. cage.  Sold a couple years ago.

Sorry wildbill, no interior shots, but the blue fastback does have a retro-fitted pistol grip shift lever for the Tremec 5-sp.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 05:06:01 am
 8) Sooo sweet! Thanks for posting! ;D
Man, that seemed to be the years of the last real works of art in the American auto world. So sad that they look so much alike these days.  :(
'12 C5 Classic