Author Topic: Hard panniers for EFI Classic  (Read 29296 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:01 pm
I just got a reply on the question of shipping to US;

"Yes sir , there is a way. We use FedEx / Blue Dart / EMS for overseas shipment but the shipping cost will be extra and Customs are not included"

I am now asking for full price with shipping to Seattle WA.

Narada,

I'm subscribing to this thread.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:26 am
Still no reply from India.  I just re-sent my last email and asked for a reply.

Since Ice is subscribing to me (?), I will share my current vision thus keeping him amused until my reply comes in. 

If you look carefully at the picture posted above you will see that there is a saree guard behind the left side pannier.  I just happen to have acquired a black saree guard for my chrome / maroon C5 which is the correct color that would have come on my bike if I lived in India. 

In the U.S., saree guards are not available.  I had a lot of trouble finding someone in India who could get me one, but eventually, I did.  Since then I have requested a maroon saree guard for the left, and a maroon stay for the right rear.  (My guy in India, Vineet, of New Delhi says he will get me one.)  I am hoping that this will look pretty cool with the chrome / maroon, and black frame color scheme that came on my bike, and the chrome fender with maroon center stripe. If the maroon color doesn't work for me, I can always put back the black pieces.

The pannier set that I am likely to order will be maroon also.  They say that the paint is the same as RE so I am hoping for a nice color match.  There is also a chrome trim piece on the side of the pannier which should accent the chrome on the bike.  One more thing is that I currently have a pillion seat, but I may remove that and ad an Nfieldgear stainless steel rack;   

http://www.nfieldgear.com/c5-rear-rack-in-stainless-steel-or-black/

I will be saving my leather RE panniers for the day when I find time to fabricate a nice frame to mount them onto.  Then I can decide which set to use, or just switch them occasionally. 

I will post the full price for the Dragon Fly pannier set delivered, as soon as I hear from them.

Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:52 am
I had one of those chrome racks - pretty good and well made too

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 01:02:47 pm
Product cost - 153 USD
Shipping cost to Perth, WA- 261 USD
Total - 414 USD.

They wouldn't send the instructions, but said it was a 'direct bolt on'
I too noticed the saree guard and am now left wondering whether it bolts to that.
It'd be a pricey purchase only to realise it doesn't attach to standard C5 frame.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:56 pm
personal opinion - I think they are trying to rip you on the $360 AU postage to Australia.
I bet they are gonna pocket a packet....lol

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 02:49:28 pm
Yeah I thought the same tbh.
But then I've seen some of the shipping prices from the US too!
Will keep monitoring and see how Mulga Bill gets on

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 04:10:59 pm
The latest...

"Dear sir,

The product cost is 152USD
Shipping cost via FedEx is 246 USD

TOTAL - 399 USD"

Is there a more economical option for shipping? FedEx seems expensive.

I just had a saree guard shipped from New Delhi for $40.00. I think I that was India Post.

I am now waiting for the reply...

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 05:57:43 pm
Narada,

Are you going to the annual spring get together at the Nick in Seattle this year ?

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:59 pm
I do plan on being there and look forward to meeting everyone.  RE sent me a letter welcoming me to "the family" after my purchase, in it they said that "I will never meet a stranger group of people"!  Sounds like fun!
I missed the last one by a couple of weeks or so.  I ordered my bike from Seattle RE aka Scoot About, sometime in may 2015.  I took delivery in early june.

Blue Garage is now checking shipping rates for India Post.  The price should be better.

Waiting for reply...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 09:32:24 pm
Fantastic !

We'll see you there !

And for those who haven't gotten the memo yet or want to book mark and follow the thread as it updates..

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,803.0.html

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 12:58:23 pm
Re Postage to Oz from USA or U.K or bloody anywhere !!!!!
Needed a new alloy fuel tank for Lotus £225 + £220 shipping apparently due to size not weight, so just disconnected leaking tank ( has 2 :-)  and collected when back - only weighed 4 kilos :-)  Many Many items opted not to purchase due to shipping costs to here - even from our hosts who are better than most, but many will ONLY USE U.P.S or Fedex
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 07:01:59 pm
I just got the reply with India Post shipping cost:

"We enquired with India post, the total Cost for shipping will be 100 $USD"

UPS wanted $246.00 USD. 

Even here at home, the USPS (post office) is always  way cheaper than any private shipping company.  Support your local Post Office.  The day they are gone, prices will be worse.

To get back to the point, that makes the grand total $253.00.  I am now placing my order for one set in royal maroon color.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 11:05:38 pm
Last big thing I ordered from India was delivered to Georgia by DHL. I thought they were out of business here in the USA, but apparently they still do incoming from other countries. I loved DHL they were so cheap on large heavy items. Maybe they are in your country.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 04:01:00 pm
I got something from India via DHL a while back too.  I remember thinking that I hadn't seen them around in a while.

Blue Garage has told me that their panniers fit either with or without saree guard,
they can be purchased individually in the event that one gets damaged,
and the wiring harness for rear lights must be spliced into your existing harness. 

I was hopeful that it was a direct plug in.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 04:19:21 am
Look familiar?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Davidson-Touring-Cruiser-Tbox-cb-saddle-k/dp/B0050QIJ0W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444619401&sr=8-3&keywords=Motorcycle+Hard+Bags

and

http://www.amazon.com/HARD-SADDLE-SADDLEBAGS-HONDA-SHADOW/dp/B00OM3F04W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1444619695&sr=8-9&keywords=Motorcycle+Hard+Bags

There are several similar ones on Amazon, and as low as US $94 per set of two. And they ship from the US!
   Reviews are mixed, and no one gave them top marks due to leaking and some poor materials.

That said, 3mm ABS is pretty tough, and if one is willing to put a bit of elbow grease into minor improvements, they look like a great deal.

If anyone gets a set, be it from Blue Garage or Amazon, please post any information regarding construction of them and materials used: electrical, lighting (trim and bezel), mounting brackets, etc.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.