Author Topic: Hard panniers for EFI Classic  (Read 29337 times)

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
on: October 05, 2015, 01:55:56 pm
I know this gets discussed often but I am looking at Givi however have just seen Dragon Fly fro Blue Garage in India. They come in all colours and are made of polyurethane. Thoughts would be appreciated we plan to do overnighters to 5 day trips at this stage and don't carry much.
2015 C5 Classic Black

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:27:46 pm
I to am interested.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 04:47:51 pm
These do look nice. Would be interested in seeing more details about mounting, etc...

Here's a link: http://www.bluegarage.in/ProductsViewmore.aspx?PId=323
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:55:26 pm
They do look kinda cool!  I wonder what they'll fit - they don't list any Bullet models, only the Thunderbird and Classic models..

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 06:06:29 pm
Those are very smart looking bags, & remind me a lot of the BEETLE BAGS used on /2 BMW's.
Personally I prefer the look of vintage British canvas pannier bags from the 1950's & 60's with the Royal Enfield. They are so hard to come by that I don't have any.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 07:34:29 pm
Those Dragon Fly bags remind me a bit of the old Wixom bags my BMW came with...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:21:00 pm
I suppose the bags could be used on a GT, but without the mounting kit. That's the way it is with Givi. The luggage has to fit on mounts. Hopefully, they're busy designing more mount kits.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:22:24 pm
At $130.00 that's a good deal if they ship to the US of A that is.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 12:50:48 am
When I enter my zip code (from USA) it says "shipping not available".  I don't understand why this is, so I have emailed them to ask how I can buy from them.

I have the nice leather panniers now with gold embossed "Royal Enfield", and I like them, but they hang funny from my fender stays. 

The "Dragon fly"  panniers also just look really cool in the pictures where they're mounted on the C5.  I like the taillights (with wiring harness) and that the panniers are painted actual RE colors.  Mounting brackets are provided also.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 04:30:38 am
The UK company Craven started to manufacture top boxes and panniers again a couple of years back. I have one of their fibreglass top boxes, and it looked great on my Electra. It is now on my other bike as I came to prefer the look of leather panniers on the Electra. <edit> though I needed to buy the pannier frames to fit the leather panniers onto. </edit>

Anyway ..... check out:

https://www.cravens.org.uk

Blair
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 04:33:51 am by Blairio »

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 05:05:21 am
I really dig these! Thanks for sharing..
Will check postage to Australia :)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 05:27:22 am
I just got a reply on the question of shipping to US;

"Yes sir , there is a way. We use FedEx / Blue Dart / EMS for overseas shipment but the shipping cost will be extra and Customs are not included"

I am now asking for full price with shipping to Seattle WA.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:45 am
Thanks all I am biting the bullet (sorry had to do it) and ordering a pair in the morning.
The way I work it out they will cost about $450 Australian delivered which isn't ridiculously cheap but a large component is freight.
Once they arrive I shall share the outcome.
So far the replies have been prompt so fingers crossed. Magoo where a outs are you maybe we can catch up.
2015 C5 Classic Black

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 04:15:36 pm
Will watch with interest. Looks like a nice piece of kit.
Did they give you the Aus postage price?
I asked them for a copy of the installation instructions too.
I'm in WA Mulga Bill.

jkrobin

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 04:46:16 pm
Magoo: it would be great if you would pass along the installation instructions if/when you receive them. I think there might be a lot of us who are interested in following this.

Thanks!
2012 C5 Chrome (Black)
Charlottesville, Virginia

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:01 pm
I just got a reply on the question of shipping to US;

"Yes sir , there is a way. We use FedEx / Blue Dart / EMS for overseas shipment but the shipping cost will be extra and Customs are not included"

I am now asking for full price with shipping to Seattle WA.

Narada,

I'm subscribing to this thread.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 06:21:26 am
Still no reply from India.  I just re-sent my last email and asked for a reply.

Since Ice is subscribing to me (?), I will share my current vision thus keeping him amused until my reply comes in. 

If you look carefully at the picture posted above you will see that there is a saree guard behind the left side pannier.  I just happen to have acquired a black saree guard for my chrome / maroon C5 which is the correct color that would have come on my bike if I lived in India. 

In the U.S., saree guards are not available.  I had a lot of trouble finding someone in India who could get me one, but eventually, I did.  Since then I have requested a maroon saree guard for the left, and a maroon stay for the right rear.  (My guy in India, Vineet, of New Delhi says he will get me one.)  I am hoping that this will look pretty cool with the chrome / maroon, and black frame color scheme that came on my bike, and the chrome fender with maroon center stripe. If the maroon color doesn't work for me, I can always put back the black pieces.

The pannier set that I am likely to order will be maroon also.  They say that the paint is the same as RE so I am hoping for a nice color match.  There is also a chrome trim piece on the side of the pannier which should accent the chrome on the bike.  One more thing is that I currently have a pillion seat, but I may remove that and ad an Nfieldgear stainless steel rack;   

http://www.nfieldgear.com/c5-rear-rack-in-stainless-steel-or-black/

I will be saving my leather RE panniers for the day when I find time to fabricate a nice frame to mount them onto.  Then I can decide which set to use, or just switch them occasionally. 

I will post the full price for the Dragon Fly pannier set delivered, as soon as I hear from them.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 07:38:52 am
I had one of those chrome racks - pretty good and well made too

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 01:02:47 pm
Product cost - 153 USD
Shipping cost to Perth, WA- 261 USD
Total - 414 USD.

They wouldn't send the instructions, but said it was a 'direct bolt on'
I too noticed the saree guard and am now left wondering whether it bolts to that.
It'd be a pricey purchase only to realise it doesn't attach to standard C5 frame.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 01:24:56 pm
personal opinion - I think they are trying to rip you on the $360 AU postage to Australia.
I bet they are gonna pocket a packet....lol

Magoo

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 02:49:28 pm
Yeah I thought the same tbh.
But then I've seen some of the shipping prices from the US too!
Will keep monitoring and see how Mulga Bill gets on

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 04:10:59 pm
The latest...

"Dear sir,

The product cost is 152USD
Shipping cost via FedEx is 246 USD

TOTAL - 399 USD"

Is there a more economical option for shipping? FedEx seems expensive.

I just had a saree guard shipped from New Delhi for $40.00. I think I that was India Post.

I am now waiting for the reply...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 05:57:43 pm
Narada,

Are you going to the annual spring get together at the Nick in Seattle this year ?

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 06:16:59 pm
I do plan on being there and look forward to meeting everyone.  RE sent me a letter welcoming me to "the family" after my purchase, in it they said that "I will never meet a stranger group of people"!  Sounds like fun!
I missed the last one by a couple of weeks or so.  I ordered my bike from Seattle RE aka Scoot About, sometime in may 2015.  I took delivery in early june.

Blue Garage is now checking shipping rates for India Post.  The price should be better.

Waiting for reply...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 09:32:24 pm
Fantastic !

We'll see you there !

And for those who haven't gotten the memo yet or want to book mark and follow the thread as it updates..

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,803.0.html

dickim

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 12:58:23 pm
Re Postage to Oz from USA or U.K or bloody anywhere !!!!!
Needed a new alloy fuel tank for Lotus £225 + £220 shipping apparently due to size not weight, so just disconnected leaking tank ( has 2 :-)  and collected when back - only weighed 4 kilos :-)  Many Many items opted not to purchase due to shipping costs to here - even from our hosts who are better than most, but many will ONLY USE U.P.S or Fedex
2020 RE 650 GT (Mr Clean)
2014 C5
56 MGA
58 Healey 3000 (Resto in Progress)
2001 MX5 
2015 Mitsubishi Ute
2021 Camry Hybrid
Tipo 184 Kit ordered & awaiting delivery for build👍

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 07:01:59 pm
I just got the reply with India Post shipping cost:

"We enquired with India post, the total Cost for shipping will be 100 $USD"

UPS wanted $246.00 USD. 

Even here at home, the USPS (post office) is always  way cheaper than any private shipping company.  Support your local Post Office.  The day they are gone, prices will be worse.

To get back to the point, that makes the grand total $253.00.  I am now placing my order for one set in royal maroon color.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 11:05:38 pm
Last big thing I ordered from India was delivered to Georgia by DHL. I thought they were out of business here in the USA, but apparently they still do incoming from other countries. I loved DHL they were so cheap on large heavy items. Maybe they are in your country.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 10, 2015, 04:01:00 pm
I got something from India via DHL a while back too.  I remember thinking that I hadn't seen them around in a while.

Blue Garage has told me that their panniers fit either with or without saree guard,
they can be purchased individually in the event that one gets damaged,
and the wiring harness for rear lights must be spliced into your existing harness. 

I was hopeful that it was a direct plug in.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 04:19:21 am
Look familiar?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Davidson-Touring-Cruiser-Tbox-cb-saddle-k/dp/B0050QIJ0W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444619401&sr=8-3&keywords=Motorcycle+Hard+Bags

and

http://www.amazon.com/HARD-SADDLE-SADDLEBAGS-HONDA-SHADOW/dp/B00OM3F04W/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1444619695&sr=8-9&keywords=Motorcycle+Hard+Bags

There are several similar ones on Amazon, and as low as US $94 per set of two. And they ship from the US!
   Reviews are mixed, and no one gave them top marks due to leaking and some poor materials.

That said, 3mm ABS is pretty tough, and if one is willing to put a bit of elbow grease into minor improvements, they look like a great deal.

If anyone gets a set, be it from Blue Garage or Amazon, please post any information regarding construction of them and materials used: electrical, lighting (trim and bezel), mounting brackets, etc.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 06:31:09 pm
Well, that was a shock.  $50.00 a pair and shipping from the US?  Wow... 

Thanks for the info heloego.

If you watch the video on the Blue Garage website it says they "crafted" the "Dragon Fly". 

The video shows an Indian guy with a Royal Enfield which led me to belive that these were made in India for Royal Enfields. I was actually proud of them and wanted to support their work.

Oh well, I do believe they are painted with RE paint or its' equivalent and they have brackets made for the RE. The video also says it comes retro fitted with stainless steel locks which sounds like they may be putting better locks in...

It also says "exclusively at Blue Garage".

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 08:39:19 pm
It would cost more than I paid to get them painted royal maroon, and the C5 specific mounting bracket. 

In the video they emphasize how there is no vibration at speed due to h.d. bracket.

It may be that B. G. Buys these kits and works them over for a price. 

I think I will ask them tonight what exactly they do to these kits before selling them.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 08:49:46 pm
  The cost to have a pair of hard bags painted royal maroon would be double what you are paying now. If it's candy apple Maroon the price is triple. This did not include the bags.

Pleas do not ask me how I know this.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: October 12, 2015, 10:31:23 pm
   Ice: OK, so how do you know this?  ;)

Narada: As for BG's stating they "crafted", they may just mean they have already upgraded the locks, maybe added door seals, and hopefully upgraded the wiring, lamps, lenses and bezels.
   If they have done all this, then it may well be worth the price due to savings involved not having to buy your own materials and putting in your own sweat equity for the upgrade.
   I'd still want to hear from someone who took the risk before I decide, though. :)
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: October 13, 2015, 04:09:38 pm
Here is the response from Blue Garage as to my inquiry, included was a link to the $50.00 set.

"Hello sir,
There are many look alike from China that are cheaper.
The mounting brackets are crafted to fit the C5 ( known as the Classic in India).
The quality of the paint used is premium and will give one year warranty.
Weather seals are for sure better to handle extreme Indian weather.
We are sure that you made the right choice. The transport charges of 100USD is making a difference, but we assure that this quality is definately better."

Blue Garage charged $130.00 plus $100.00 (Indian Post) shipping.

I never did check shipping on the $50.00 set.

I think this actually is a good deal.

More when package arrives, which could be a while...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:12:51 pm by Narada »

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 10:58:47 am
So after almost pressing the button for a set to be sent to Australia for USD $256 I came across the Hepco & Becker cbow system and bags.
 Not hard shell but lovely quality and the mounting system is great for our requirements. More costly at approx USD $400 but fits our bill perfectly. I will post pics etc when they arrive.
Thanks to all for contributing to the thread.
2015 C5 Classic Black

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: October 28, 2015, 08:23:28 pm
Nice looking products!
Let us know how they work out?
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: November 08, 2015, 01:44:07 am
The panniers arrived Friday night the 6th of November. I had some trouble with the international money transfer which I did through Western Union. I got that resolved 10 days ago, and the parts shipped. India Post said it would take 10 days and it did.

I will add pictures tomorrow but suffice it to say I am pretty happy with the panniers overall, especially that they are painted RE Royal Maroon and the color matches perfectly. 

The mounting brackets that are supplied are a good starting point for further fabrication.  They have many fitment problems to be worked out.  I will be cutting and bending them, as well as adding (welding) more material to make them fit the panniers properly.  Next, an addition must be made to secure the back of the bracket to the bike.  As it is, there are only two mounting bolts on the front, the top shock bolt, and the lower stay mounting bolt.  The panniers hang crooked and the backs of them can wave left and right like a fishes tail. 

I also found that the RE bolts have little extra threads and I will have to do some bolt replacement.  I have the pillion seat which also mounts on the top shock bolt and that adds thickness.  The lower stay bolts are just too short to add anything to, and will also need replacement.

So... re-fit the brackets to the pannier, then fab a support for the rear of each.  These brackets are clearly "old world" hand made, and without good quality control for fit.  They do put the panniers right where they should be, but crooked and floppy. 

I still think the set is worth it.  With a little fabricating they are going to be pretty cool.  That should be evident by the pictures, which I will post tomorrow. 

P.S., Sorry to keep you in suspense.  I don't know how much it's me, and how much it's Photo Bucket, but posting pictures takes me a while.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: November 08, 2015, 04:37:10 am
You got them pretty quick! Gotta wonder why it only takes 10 days to the US, but forever to Oz.  :o
If you got yours from Blue Garage didn't they say they crafted them specifically for the C5? So why the issues with the mounting?

I ordered a $70 set from E-Bay and received them a week ago. The ABS is satisfactory and the supplied universal mounts are massive. The shell assembly must have been done in Pre-School. These things arrive looking like they are designed to collect water.
I have since been painting, modifying, sealing, and fabricating additional mounts. Taking pics as I go. Mounts are finished and once I get the wiring done (hopefully tomorrow), I'll get the pics posted. Haven't replaced the POS locks yet. That's for later.
'12 C5 Classic

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: November 08, 2015, 11:57:09 am
So I got the Hepco & Becker Street panniers and CBow brackets.
High quality bags which are bigger than they look. The bracket system is engineered and manufactured to a very high standard, fitting took about a half an hour not allowing for the paint to dry where the hole in the guard needs to be drilled.
I have ridden the bike over the roughest local road and there is no movement etc.
Great product as you would expect.
2015 C5 Classic Black

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: November 08, 2015, 12:09:14 pm
So I got the Hepco & Becker Street panniers and CBow brackets.
High quality bags which are bigger than they look. The bracket system is engineered and manufactured to a very high standard, fitting took about a half an hour not allowing for the paint to dry where the hole in the guard needs to be drilled.
I have ridden the bike over the roughest local road and there is no movement etc.
Great product as you would expect.
2015 C5 Classic Black

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: November 08, 2015, 11:54:37 pm
Ok. Done.  :)

As stated, got the hard bags via E-Bay.
Started out by removing the doors and door trim, scuffing, two coats primer, two coats base, and two coats clear.

Removed the plastic tail light lens and bezel (required in order to removed the Chinese 5w lamps), replaced the POS lamps with 10w Sylvania #5008 lamps. Now I can change the lamps without removal of the lens and bezel because the lamps now slip through the hole. Two screws on the back of the lamp mount and out they come! Then sealed the lens and bezel to the body with black silicone sealant. Note: When removing the lens/bezel start with two side tabs on one side only. Then push the bezel to that side to pop the other two out of their slots. The top tab is much larger, and you'll most likely break the bezel if you start there. Installation in reverse order...top first, two on a side, then press the last two into place.

Installed supplied universal mounts, then the door.

Fabricated additional mounts to stabilize the case using 1/8" steel stock, insulated clamps. Mounts placed fore and aft bottom and attached to the lower mudguard rail. Electrical wiring was run down through the oval hole in the bottom, along the aft mount into the dog house and connected to the brake wiring. Now I have three brake lights flashing instead of just one!  :)

Rolled it outside. I kept my old metal panniers for the long trips because of their larger capacity. Easy swap due to 3 point mounting.

I'm pleased with the result, and once mounted these seem sturdier than my first impression.  ;D

'12 C5 Classic

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: November 09, 2015, 01:35:23 am
good job mulga I'm impressed!  - and I've been know to toss the odd load.....lol  paint job that is ;)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: November 09, 2015, 01:51:03 am
Here the current state of my project;

I've just got to say, I was really hoping that the brackets would fit things correctly without any fabrication required.  At this point in my life, there isn't a lot of time I can commit to projects.  I think what Blue Garage did was good, but you just can't expect to hang panniers with only the two front mounting points, and you must make sure that the brackets that you do make actually fit your product.  Having said that, as soon as I can find the time to fab more bracketry and get my bike out in the light (it was raining yesterday), I will post.

Nice work holoego!  I like the two tone maroon/black.  Your supplied brackets were different than mine, so it will be interesting to compare our finished products.

Thanks for the tips on lens removal and light improvement.  Some people are using the push in bulb sockets, but I've had cars with those, and they can come out when things bump them.  The two screw type, as you chose, is more solid and still easily accessible. 

I would like to have running lights, brake lights, and turn signals in my panniers. I think that is the 1157 dual filament bulb. As far as I can tell, no one is doing this but it seems like it wouldn't be that much more trouble to hook up.  I am also curious about LED.  I will have to do more research. 

As you can see my right pannier is hanging outboard by a few inches.  That's due to the crappy incomplete mounting bracket.  I will be fixing that.

I also ordered the polished stainless steel rack from Nfield Gear.  It will be replacing the pillion seat.  One day, I may put back my leather RE panniers (after I fab brackets for hanging them properly) and the pillion seat. 

What's funny is that a big reason I went to the hard panniers is that I did not want to fab brackets for proper mounting of my soft set.  Now I will probably be fabing a set for each!

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: November 09, 2015, 02:42:03 am
heloego
you too got yourself a pretty good bargain. even the leather dispatch bags come in at around $160 plus per bag and not much room inside them.
what was your total postage cost to aust for the pair

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: November 09, 2015, 03:33:06 am
Wb: Bags were US $69 including shipping to my home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Most of the ones on E-Bay will run to $70-$80 after shipping. 
       The guy I bought from apparently gets them from a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy...this based on the three "Thanks" I got via e-mail from three different people.   ::)   Total cost including materials (only) comes to about $80.

Narada: Thanks!
            Sucks you have to do additional fabricating. At least all you need to do is stabilize the bags to prevent in/out shaking. Easy fix, though. My lower supports were simple enough, and serve dual duty as supports/stabilizers.
            Gotta say though, when you're finished you'll have a real eye-catching set!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:43:09 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: November 09, 2015, 03:47:19 am
in that case I think you got as we would say here in OZ - an absolute STEAl!  ;D

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:58 am
Most of the E-Bay ads will say "Free Shipping", like mine did, or display absolute costs. $25 is quite common, though they may display shipping costs differently from country to country.   
'12 C5 Classic

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 02:06:56 pm
Good info and thanks for all the pics!!  These look like a really good fit as far as size and cosmetics for the C5. One question though do they block use of the rear pegs or interfere with a passenger's ergonomics/comfort too much?  There are no direct side pics and it seems like they mount a bit forward.

Thanks!
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: November 11, 2015, 04:50:53 am
   There's some leeway up/down and fore/aft allowed due to the nature of the universal mounts. I mounted mine so the Electrical Box and re-acquired tool box will open fully and also not interfere with the rear pegs. Can't speak for passenger comfort, though. I ride solo.
   Mounted this way, the top mount (upper shock bolt) is still accessible using a wrench or a socket on a wobble extension even though I chose a slightly lower mount of the case to the universal mount.
   It also allows the tops of the cases to better follow the curve of the rear mudguard.
   Now if I could just locate a reasonably matching trunk to replace the unsightly Pelican knockoff I currently use. Been looking, but no luck yet. Either Harley huge or scooter small. Gotta find something in between.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:57:11 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
Reply #50 on: November 12, 2015, 01:44:38 pm
Thanks for the reply Helo   ;)

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: November 12, 2015, 04:08:10 pm
Broke down and ordered the smaller ones from Amazon's site (TMS listed as the supplier). I ride the C5 to work every day and use a magnetic tank bag on a rear fender rack. We'll see how these work. They were $68 and free shipping.  I'm fairly handy with brackets so shouldn't be too bad.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: November 12, 2015, 05:33:03 pm
Toesnose,

Mine mount about 3-4 inches behind the rear pegs.  I sat on my pillion seat and found that they are not in the way of legs at all.  The back of my heel did rest against the pannier, the peg was under the back half of my foots arch.

Not uncomfortable but might get tiring with distance. More pics later.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
Reply #53 on: November 12, 2015, 07:51:34 pm
Thanks Narada!  I really like the look of these, I actually started making a mock up set myself similar but t this price I'm not going to bother with all the trouble doing it myself LOL.  I usually ride solo, but the Wifey likes an occasional ride around town which is why I was curious about the passenger ergonomics  ;)

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: November 13, 2015, 04:39:21 am
Here are some pics showing rear peg location with Blue Garage panniers.  I have also removed my pillion seat in anticipation of the Nfield polished stainless rack which has arrived tonight.  Shipping time was 2 days!

I think Garuda is shinier now.

Somehow the pictures came out a little dull going from my phone to the computer to photobucket to here.  Everything is much shinier in person but you get the idea. 

I hope I'm not showing too many pictures but I am pretty excited about how things are turning out.

BTW, I have re-mounted the license plate.  The original holes didn't line up with WA state plates so I had to carefully re-drill them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:45:47 am by Narada »

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
Reply #55 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:58 pm
Thanks Narada! That helps put things in perspective a bit better, oh and it takes a lot for there to be too many motorcycle pictures (especially if it's an RE C5!)

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: November 13, 2015, 04:39:13 pm
   They look like they mounted up quite nicely, Narada. From the pic of the mount's construction it looks as though it actually would serve well without additional fabrication to prevent side-to-side vibration. So have you ridden yet to make a determination?
   Just from the pic IMHO you would need at most only one standoff from the lower rear mount bolt to the mudguard stay or Sari guard to do the job.

Tom:  Your set will come with the universal mounts. As stated earlier these things are MASSIVE for the set. You should have no problem!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 04:42:18 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #57 on: November 20, 2015, 04:01:58 pm
Warning! To those thinking of a set of bags similar to those shown on Narada's previous post. I went into this purchase after considerable research both on this forum and on some suppliers sites so I knew what I was getting into. I know most out there want something more "period correct i.e leather bags but my uses are more suited to a hard bag. I bought the hard bags from Amazon for $66, free shipping from California to Pennsylvania ( my budget is very tight) knowing I would be doing a fair amount of work shop work........I was right. These  come with crude mounts consisting of four, identical, very heavy steel bars. They are straight except for two ninety degree bends on one end to clear the shock adsorber when mounted at the shock nut. On the RE, this bar can only go straight to the back of the bike horizontally, so they sit higher on the bike than some might like. To clear the two pods on the bike, these bars must be re-drilled with two holes, allowing the bags to move back. The only other support is with an identical bar mounted to the lower fender frame support and rising at a steep angle to two more re-drilled holes. When these brackets are used there are several other holes left open that must be plugged.
The doors have a small seal around the top half but cannot be considered waterproof. The latches are crude and must be fiddled with to get a tight closure.
It is labor intensive but in my case worth it. Decent bolts and rubber grommets for the ABS holes are supplied.
The bags are wired as shown in previous pictures. The bags themselves are of decent quality considering the price. They are painted and not molded in black so they are easy to scratch.
Different suppliers furnish different brackets but I imagine some field work is needed with any. If you aren't willing or able to do some modifications, you might want to find another source.
The looks of the bags on the bike is great. They look like they're made of the RE. Mine are on a 2014 C5.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: November 21, 2015, 03:03:27 am
Hi Tom!
   You know the drill...
   Pics or it didn't happen.  ;)

Glad you're ok with the bags, though. And you're right on about the additional fabricating. All said, though, for we who don't mind the bags+effort is definitely worth it! :)

Since I can't find an acceptable (to me) top trunk I'll stick with my faux Pelican case for the nonce. I ordered a couple of sets of some heavy duty monitor mounts from ebay to do a MUCH better mount than my first attempt. (I'll need to fab a mount support to fit my C5 luggage rack, but I'm not anticipating any problem.)
   Rated to support 30-35 lbs they arrived today, and I do believe a I made a good choice.
   Make/PN: Ergotron/60-239-007-01
   These things are a SOLID steel cam mount system that should easily work for any trunk out there that will accept a 10cm x 7cm (hole-to-hole) mount plate.
   As soon as I get going I'll take pics as I progress so anyone interested can do the same.
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: November 21, 2015, 03:55:14 am
As I previously stated, I don't get much time to work on my bike.  Every day I want to get out there but there are always other priorities (yes, I am married). 

Here's where I'm at so far.  I have fabbed the pieces and now just need to weld and paint them. 

I went with 3/8" round bar stock to compliment the right stay and left saree guard.  I put the best longitudinal angle into the round stock that I could eyeball for maximum aesthetic effect (for those if us who get excited about bracketry).   

The flatbar at the pannier is angled back to match the angle of the pannier.  I will be painting them gloss black to match the RE gloss black.  More pictures will be posted when complete. Not sure when the wiring will get done, but I will be very happy just to have them securely mounted. 

The right bracket will be a copy of the left, taking into account the idiosyncrasies of old world craftsmanship inherent in the Indian RE frame, and pannier brackets.

I'm glad to see we are all happily making our panniers work! 

Everyone loves them after they get past the bracket phase.  If you go back up to one of the original eBay links for our panniers and then go to the reviews there are some great tips on fixing other things like the leaky door seal, etc... 

I will be googling the Ergotron bracket to see what that is about later tonight.  As I read it heloego, you are using that in tandem with the RE rack?  Hmmm...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 03:58:23 am by Narada »

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: November 21, 2015, 04:12:00 am
Heloego!  Your a maniacal genius!  You will be able to remove your cargo box, and then watch  big screen TV!  Not sure if the RE will have enough electrical power to run it though.  You may need to add a solar panel.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #61 on: November 21, 2015, 11:13:08 am
Narada - those brackets will look nice when they're done!

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: November 21, 2015, 08:14:40 pm
Thanks mattsz,
I'm hoping for this weekend, then I can take them for a ride!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: November 28, 2015, 03:20:43 am
Solar Power?!?

Hmmmmmm...  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: November 29, 2015, 01:27:17 am
Third time's a charm!

Narada: I'm waiting for the finished pics of your brackets! Nice!

Here are the VESA mounts I ordered for my trunk/rack. 1/8" mild stamped steel with locking lever. The aluminum base plate is also visible.

After fabrication, mounted the trunk adapter to the trunk:

The completed base plate assembly mounted to the C5 rack. Using my existing forward bracket and three steel rubber-lined 1/2" clamps for fixing the rear of the plate. You can see the receiver at the front of the mount and the locking lever in the "open" position. And no that is not my "other bike" in the background.  ;)

Completed trunk mount. Loaded up with my tool tote tray (20 lbs) and dinosaur 17" laptop and accessories for total of 27.5 lbs. Rock solid! Also fabbing a pillion seat using the adapter from the second VESA mount set.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 01:30:06 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: November 29, 2015, 07:25:05 am
That really is nice work heloego.  I'm impressed.  A nice clean installation, right on the RE cargo rack.  I would not have thought that was possible.  And so solid too!

I actually got some time into my bracket job today.  I just need to do a little more work tomorrow after football.  Hopefully, I'll have some pics by tomorrow night.

So, how many channels do you get?

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: November 29, 2015, 01:40:31 pm
Thanks!  ;D

Truthfully, since I haven't had the time to take it for a spin yet, my only concern is how the .050" aluminum base plate will hold up. I have access to plenty of materials, so if I have to beef it up or replace it with something heavier like .125" plate it won't prove difficult.

Seriously like your concept for your brackets! I haven't welded anything in 30 years, but I might just ask the boss if I can get an early Xmas acetylene rig. Closest thing to the flame thrower I asked for when I was a kid.  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: November 30, 2015, 03:16:35 am
Be careful what you ask for heloego! 

First is one of the two rear support brackets I fabbed.  My welds came out a little crappy, but I ground them down and they'll do.  The left pannier bracket located the pannier pretty well, so I made that support bracket first, and thought I would copy it for the other side. 

As you might guess, the right side bracket needed 1/2 inch of flat bar added (welded in) at the top shock bracket to be equidistant with the left side, from the center of the rear mudgaurd.  You can see the longer section in some of the photos. 

The lower right bracket, at the lower mudgaurd stay mount location also needed 1/2 inch added.  For this I used some 7/16 inch I.D. iron pipe taken from an old Dodge big block intake manifold (being a Mopar guy, I couldn't resist).  This was cut into a 1/2 inch length, and welded to the lower bracket to match the lower mudgaurd stay mounting tube.  This is also shown in a couple of pictures.

Other pictures show complete bracket views of left, right, and rear, also whole bike with new hard panniers.  I cannot express enough how thrilled I am at having panniers that hang correctly.  They are evenly spaced and look correct from any angle. 

Having been involved in much fabrication and construction in my life, I can't help but see when something is crooked, (like my bracketless soft panniers were).  These panniers are not!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #68 on: November 30, 2015, 12:34:49 pm
Well damn, doesn't that look fine!!!  8)

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: November 30, 2015, 01:40:37 pm
Again, I really like what you did with the brackets. The end result made the effort worthwhile!  8)

That looks like a '67 'Cuda in the back. Any pics?

'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: December 01, 2015, 06:07:02 am
Thanks for the compliments guys, I agree it was worth the effort, and to give credit where it is due, Blue Garage gave me a good start.  Those panniers really added to the character of the bike.

Yes, that is a '67 formula-s fastback, 360 (formerly 340) 5-sp, 4:10 8-3/4 rear.  The rusty wheels are on it for outdoor storage, with good car cover.  This is the best picture of it with a Royal Enfield.  It didn't seem right to post a pic here without an RE in the photo.  I might get a better shot tomorrow of the RE with new panniers near the front of the "flying fish".

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: December 01, 2015, 06:31:26 am
congratulations! that's one of the best panniers jobs I've seen and a true credit to you on a job well done.
as for the car any photos of the interior and dash.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: December 01, 2015, 03:26:04 pm
The '67 always got my blood running (drool), though I prefer the coupe over the fastback. Something about the '67s... The only others from that year that got to me were the Chevelle SS and the GTO, but they will always be close 2nds.
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:20 am
Please forgive me for not posting about panniers, but I thought you might like this heloego;

So, you prefer the 'Coupe?    I named this one "The Killer Tomato".

'67 Barracuda 'Coupe.  Originally picked up as a hitchhiker into this car when it was a stock slant-6 sweetheart.  I was driven home, and traded driver straight across for a Fuji 18 speed bicycle 10 minutes later. 

Drove about 100,000 mi. then totaled by lady turning left in front of me, I didn't even have time to hit the brake.  So I had the frame straightened, installed fiberglass nose, built 440, 4-sp., 12 pt. cage.  Sold a couple years ago.

Sorry wildbill, no interior shots, but the blue fastback does have a retro-fitted pistol grip shift lever for the Tremec 5-sp.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 05:06:01 am
 8) Sooo sweet! Thanks for posting! ;D
Man, that seemed to be the years of the last real works of art in the American auto world. So sad that they look so much alike these days.  :(
'12 C5 Classic

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: December 02, 2015, 06:08:06 am
the old cars are good and ive had some good stuff here in oz but lately I think the mazdaspeed Miata is the best car ive driven under $100K ;)

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: December 03, 2015, 04:07:43 am
I spent a good deal of my life working on all sorts of cars but always owned and drove nice old Mopars.  Now I am a little older, and happily commute in a dependable '04 Dodge Neon.  I don't know if life's speeding up, or I have just become too busy, but I don't get much time to work on my old cars anymore. 

Today, I find myself utterly captivated by the beauty of my Royal Enfield, and am profoundly grateful to have been blessed to own a new shiny Chrome / Maroon C5 (with awesome panniers)!  When I can find the time, I really enjoy just riding it around.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: January 09, 2016, 03:56:35 am
(Modified post due wrong pic inserted.)
Picked up a heavily discounted pillion seat from our host:

Removed the seat, modified the forward mounts to fit at my C5 upper shock mounts:

Fabricated new mounting plates for seat and mount using the TV/Monitor mounting plates:

Voila!

Now a single lever flip to change from pillion to trunk!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 04:04:40 am by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #78 on: January 09, 2016, 04:34:27 am
Nice job!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: January 09, 2016, 04:46:50 am
That is beautiful Heloego! Nice fit, could also be used for hauling delicate cargo.  I like the fender exposure underneath too, that color is really nice.

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #80 on: January 09, 2016, 07:32:11 am
Very clever and "nifty". Patent pending?
I was Molly Sugdens bridesmaid.

Spontaneity is the cure for best laid plans.
‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #81 on: January 09, 2016, 11:51:08 am
Nice!

I have that same rack/pad unit - I "pity 'da fool" who has to sit on it for any length of time, or on any kind of rough road...  ;)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #82 on: January 09, 2016, 12:15:42 pm
I "pity 'da fool" who has to sit on it for any length of time, or on any kind of rough road...  ;)
I don't know? I had the same set up on my old 500 and Mrs Malky, always very adept at committing act's of mobile physical assault whenever suffering discomfort, never complained. :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: January 09, 2016, 01:18:33 pm
Thanks all!
A lot of fitful starts/stops getting things to sit reasonably square, but I've "wiped my brow" just in time to not be able to get the missus out for a ride due to weather and work schedule. Looks like the real test will be a future event.  ::)
'12 C5 Classic

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: March 22, 2016, 04:00:48 am
 Narada we took the plunge and bought a pair of the same panniers as yours but in gloss black to match the G5.

Quality wise the panniers themselves are much better than the price.  Fit and finish is on par with the higher end aftermarket Harley panniers I recently repaired. Design and construction wise they are not far behind. The attachment kit is whimsical. We will brew up our own. Still they are a pretty good deal especially at 1/6 of the cost of the aftermarket H-D units.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:48:41 am by Ice »

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: March 22, 2016, 02:07:50 pm
Even better at 1/10 the cost the Beamer packages.
'12 C5 Classic

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #86 on: March 22, 2016, 05:23:44 pm
I've got a couple of these on their way. They'll fit my frames perfectly.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #87 on: March 22, 2016, 07:42:49 pm
 The price is reasonable but the cost of shipping to over here  :o  :-X

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:52 am
I'm still very happy with my BG hard panniers.  I think the paint alone is worth the price.  I just worry what will happen if I tip over.  The good thing on that is they promised me that I could just buy one for a replacement if anything ever happened.  The soft bags have a definite advantage for the new rider when it comes tipping or coming off the bike. 

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #89 on: March 23, 2016, 05:13:26 am
I just worry what will happen if I tip over.

If it happens then bring me the broken pieces  ;)

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #90 on: March 23, 2016, 08:59:06 am
I'm still very happy with my BG hard panniers.  I think the paint alone is worth the price.  I just worry what will happen if I tip over.  The good thing on that is they promised me that I could just buy one for a replacement if anything ever happened.  The soft bags have a definite advantage for the new rider when it comes tipping or coming off the bike.
Thankfully motorcycles and their component parts are replaceable. :)

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

NickHonda400Four

• Scooter
Reply #91 on: March 23, 2016, 11:49:07 am
Has anyone had any experience with these small leather panniers? They are a more within my price range £30-£35 with delivery in the UK...

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: March 23, 2016, 06:52:14 pm
That's about $50.00 USD, plus shipping.They look interesting but I'm sceptical about the quality for that price. 

The brackets look "universal" and may be difficult to fit.  Vibration could cause the bags to seperate from the bracket at the holes in the back of bags and the bracket metal looks very thin to me also which may bend or break with vibration and time.

You may know there are very similar ones available which are excellent quality, but they're more money and strap directly to mudgaurd stays.

krusty

• Bulleteer
Reply #93 on: March 23, 2016, 08:05:10 pm
Not so sure about them being leather for that price, but they are something to work with. The stiching looks a little hit and miss in one of the pictures.
Krusty

2015 RE Continental GT - Black
2016 RE Classic 500 - Lagoon Blue

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: March 23, 2016, 09:33:01 pm
   While the pics are intended to make the bags look good, the only way to really determine the quality is to bite the (ahem) bullet and order them.
   The mounting brackets may be up to the task, but you most likely will need to do some additional "jury rigging" to get them mounted to your bike.
   Hey the set of hard panniers I ordered for mine required a little extra work to mount solidly, but for the price I sure can't complain.  ;D
'12 C5 Classic

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:18 pm
+1, The only way to really know is to try!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #96 on: March 23, 2016, 10:34:48 pm
Those bags look like cheap knockoff's of the real Royal Enfield bags sold by NfieldGear except for a few things.

The buckles don't look as strong and the real RE bags didn't have the afterthought handle on it.

The real bags were made out of thick real leather. 
I suspect these bags are made out of vinyl not that there is anything really wrong with vinyl.

Thick vinyl/cloth material is quite weather resistant and strong.
Thin vinyl/cloth, not so much.

I guess I should add, the RE bags sold for a LOT more than these copies.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

malky

• Grand Gearhead
  • Team Rough Inferior.
Reply #97 on: March 23, 2016, 10:54:02 pm
Some of the seller's feedback is a bit iffy. I looked at them a while back and thought best to leave alone.

‘S Rioghal Mo Dhream

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: March 24, 2016, 04:19:49 am
Those bags look like cheap knockoff's of the real Royal Enfield bags sold by NfieldGear except for a few things.

The buckles don't look as strong and the real RE bags didn't have the afterthought handle on it.

The real bags were made out of thick real leather. 
I suspect these bags are made out of vinyl not that there is anything really wrong with vinyl.

Thick vinyl/cloth material is quite weather resistant and strong.
Thin vinyl/cloth, not so much.

I guess I should add, the RE bags sold for a LOT more than these copies.

The RE bags are worth every penny and then some. Quality of materials and workmanship is phenomenal is superb. You are getting what you paid for.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: June 05, 2016, 05:48:14 pm
The Blue Garage "Dragonfly" hard panniers are available in new colors and...

now have the rear bracket that we previously had to fabricate ourselves.

http://bluegarage.in/ProductsViewmore.aspx?PId=356
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 05:50:19 pm by Narada »

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: June 05, 2016, 08:55:18 pm
Hitchcocks are selling a set as well. Sorry if already mentioned.