Author Topic: Running better than ever.  (Read 2845 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: October 05, 2015, 12:05:54 am
After a poor week, food poisoning sucks, and rain I got out today. I got in about 75 miles but no problem, nothing fell off the bike, not even me! Nothing broke and it ran stronger than ever. I've been at it with the Loc-Tite and torque wrenches and it's much smoother now. If I could bottle the sound I could sell it for big bucks! Still happiest on the back roads 40-55MPH just putting along both the bike and myself.

Only down side is I have to go back to work tomorrow, I need to hit the lottery or find a Sugar MaMa!  ;D 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 01:17:56 am
After a poor week, food poisoning sucks, and rain I got out today. I got in about 75 miles but no problem, nothing fell off the bike, not even me! Nothing broke and it ran stronger than ever. I've been at it with the Loc-Tite and torque wrenches and it's much smoother now. If I could bottle the sound I could sell it for big bucks! Still happiest on the back roads 40-55MPH just putting along both the bike and myself.

Only down side is I have to go back to work tomorrow, I need to hit the lottery or find a Sugar MaMa!  ;D
IMO, Invest in yourself. If your employer offers a DISABILITY PLAN - GET IN ON IT.
I ended up needing mine, & it was almost as good as Lottery/Sugar Mama. Saved my cakes.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:21:19 am
Oh I have that, it's already saved my bacon when I had a heart attack and was out for 3 months.

My comment about the lottery or Sugar MaMa was tongue in cheek.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:26:11 am
do what they do herein oz-just call in sick -get paid and keep on riding...lol

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:43:45 am
Sugar Mama's are out there!
Rocket

HUdson51

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:46:51 am
Wear lots of leather and keep ridin that R.E. and they will be chasin you down the street!!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:19:51 pm
   Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, OC. Think all of us have been there at one time or another. Glad to hear you're up and running (no pun) again.  :)

I actually look forward to a good ride in the rain. Although the Road Riders are gonna get replaced by K70s eventually (for the aesthetic), they do handle great on wet pavement.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ToesNose

• Grease Monkey
  • That goes where? Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 02:09:52 am
Having a sugar Mama is pretty great  8)
"Pardon me...do you have hot sauce for this?"

2007 Suzuki LS650
2014 RE C5 Tan 'Manjika'

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 10:43:05 pm
I also feel the Enfield is at it's best at around 55 mph. The sound and feel provide a very visceral experience that nothing else does (well, maybe a Harley, but they are too common for me, and I don't like their image) I never understood those that are mostly concerned with how fast an Enfield will go.

As far as disability, it has been a lifesaver for me. I spent 32 years working for the City of Chandler, and they had an excellent retirement/disability plan. Two of them, one mandatory, one voluntary. I got in on both, plus a retirement health savings plan that pays for out of pocket medical expenses.

At age 49, I became seriously disabled, and unable to do any kind of full time physical work. For the past 7 years, I have been living on the disability from my  job, plus SS disability, with a Medicare replacement insurance plan. My retirement health savings plan reimburses me for all my doctor and prescription copays. My house is paid for. I'm actually better off financially now than I was when I was working. Unfortunately, the same condition that prevents me from working causes me constant pain, mobility issues, and makes it very hard to do the things I enjoy the most, such as riding motorcycles.  But. The condition I was unfortunate enough to wind up with would have happened anyway, and I'm sure glad I had all those plans to take care of me financially.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:49 pm
I also feel the Enfield is at it's best at around 55 mph. The sound and feel provide a very visceral experience that nothing else does (well, maybe a Harley, but they are too common for me, and I don't like their image) I never understood those that are mostly concerned with how fast an Enfield will go.

I'll explain it to you.

People like their Bullets, but some are not completely satisfied with the speed limitations for their uses, whether the use be highway riding/touring, highway commuting near big cities, sport riding on the road or on the track, better passing power and better acceleration in general, etc..

Some people might say that they should buy a different bike that is faster, but in the case of the Bullet, there is no other bike out there that can match the Bullet for the other aspects which we like about it. So, if you like what the Bullet is, and you want to make it capable of a wider range of function, which is absolutely possible and kits are available to do it, people see no reason why they should not have all they want from the one bike, and that bike being a Bullet.

I hope that helps.
Tom
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:58:37 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 11:26:15 pm
Yeah, I guess I can kind of understand that. My Bullet does everything I need it to do. I live in an area where you can ride on interstate highways at 60 mph in the right lane, and I have ridden my Enfield around 2000 miles on such roads. I would have no problem riding it from Phoenix to San Diego and back on I-10 and I-8, from a safety perspective. Unfortunately, my disability prevents such long rides. However, I have had my bike up to 70 mph a couple of times, and as much fun as it is to ride at 55-60, it was no fun at all at 70. The vibration got really bad, and it no longer made that sweet sound it does at lower speeds. I have also ridden a Harley 883 Sportster (not mine) at freeway speeds (around 75 mph indicated) and it also lost it's pleasant sound and feel, and became downright miserable to ride. I have been told the larger Harleys do not have that problem because they are geared higher. If the Enfield engine made more power, and could be regeared to turn the same rpms at 70+ that my stock bike does at 55-60, then it would make sense. But with only a few exceptions, I have never used a bike for anything but recreational riding. I did have an old beater bike I rode to work for about 5 years, after buying a new truck. There was no place at work to park your vehicle other than an open parking lot, out in the sun. So I never took a nice vehicle to work, car or bike. My Enfield resides in what was once a living room. I live alone, and didn't need a living room, so I converted it into a bike room. That is one reason it still has stock mirrors instead of bar end mirrors. It has to fit through the front door. I also like riding on curvy roads, but these days I keep my speed down. I was almost killed while riding a crotch rocket at high speeds on those roads. I came around a tight curve, and found myself face to face with a motor home in my lane. There was a mountain on one side and a 300 foot cliff on the other. I missed the motor home by inches, and skidded in the gravel on the other side of the road, again missing going over the cliff by a few inches. I lost my interest in fast riding on curvy roads after that, and sold my then nearly new 1986 Ninja 600, which was just not a good bike to ride slow on. Since then I have stuck to cruisers, standards, and dual sport bikes. I love the looks of the GT, but can no longer handle the sport bike riding position.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson