Author Topic: Motobatt MB9U 12V 11Ah AGM Battery Thoughts, opinions, etc.  (Read 4922 times)

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Motobatt MB9U 12V 11Ah AGM Battery

I've found this on Amazon for about $65. Good deal? Bad deal? Other options? On year three of the stock battery. Everything is fine for now but keeping an eye towards a replacement.

2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 02:43:37 am
too small try motobatt mbtx14au

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 02:47:31 am
 I can't comment on that particular battery but will say I have been extremely happy with sealed batteries since they first came out.
 The ease of maintenance and the "no more rusty frames" factor make them worth every penny IMHO.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:34 am
here it is -nice tight fit and works fine in a c5

RE-Memphis

• New Englander in Memphis
  • Scooter
  • Surprise, machine gun, and vanish.
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 03:16:04 am
Cool, thanks all.
2012 Royal Enfield C-5 Military
2010 HD Dyna (Sold & hated it)
2008 HD Nightster (Traded with regrets)
1972 Triumph Bonneville (Still kicking myself in the arse for selling her)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:29:08 am
You need it to be rated at least 14Ah, especially if you use E-start.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 04:44:37 am
I have used Motobatt, & it is a good brand.  Decent price.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 08:55:33 am
I have a Motobatt MB12U in my C5. It has heaps of grunt.

I wasn't keen on the small clearance between an MBTX14AU positive terminal and the EFI throttle body.
(not a concern after an AMAL conversion, but the MB12U is there and doing the job so no point changing to the bigger battery)

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:27:28 pm
I have had the 14 amp one in my GT for over a year now and the only issue I have had is sometimes at idle, after first starting the bike from cold, the battery light will stay on till I get moving.

I do have a 7 inch headlight though. I have enabled the headlight switch so I just shut the light off till the bike is warm. I also keep it on a battery tender.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 08:32:09 pm
I have had a few of the Motobatts - I have had the 14 in my 2014 C5 for over a year and it has been flawless.  The fit is a bit snug, but I have had no clearance issues.

I had one of these batteries in a BMW for about 5 years before it failed.  Good batteries in my opinion.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 01:23:56 am
It also can't hurt to use LED bulbs where possible. Headlights suck current. You can fit a 7" diamond cut reflector off Ebay with a H4 Cree LED from EBAY for under $40.
Here's the one on my Ural.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:22 am
It also can't hurt to use LED bulbs where possible. Headlights suck current. You can fit a 7" diamond cut reflector off Ebay with a H4 Cree LED from EBAY for under $40.

I have a pair of LED daylight running lamps. Also used a LED stop/tail lamp but wasn't happy with the brightness of any bulbs I've tried and have gone back to a quality filiment globe.

To really save power replace the power hungry EFI and fuel pump with a gravity fed carby  ;D

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:48:07 pm

Craig if you keep putting pictures of that Ural on here I am going to have to buy one. I have actually been having dreams at night of riding a Gear Up through some local fields. I am not joking.

That is a great looking bike.

Steve
― Viktor E. Frankl

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:47 pm
Be careful with those Urals they can make weathermen crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDkLmU0U6D8
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 12:13:26 am
I had one of these batteries in a BMW for about 5 years before it failed.  Good batteries in my opinion.

This would worry me.  My last two cars had batteries 12+ years old before they finally gave out. Is this the expected battery life of a glass matt sealed type battery? not good.

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 04:09:35 am
Be careful with those Urals they can make weathermen crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDkLmU0U6D8

Thanks that was cool.

I had my wife watching it. I said "See honey we could mount a snow plow on it. "  I don't think that sold her, but it is a process you know.

Steve
― Viktor E. Frankl

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 04:38:41 pm
This would worry me.  My last two cars had batteries 12+ years old before they finally gave out. Is this the expected battery life of a glass matt sealed type battery? not good.

Weird, I've never had any car battery last more than 7 years in the climates where I've lived. The bike was a amp sucking old school BMW that saw use in extreme heat (Nevada) and cold (Nevada). I've never had any wet cell battery last longer than two years with this machine.  So yes, 5 years was a great improvement.

I don't think you'll find a better battery for the money, but you never know.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 06:31:07 pm

What were the brand and type of those 12 year batteries? I hate replacing batteries especially on some newer vehicles. Some cars have to be replaced at the dealer or shop due to the alarm system. They body shop had to tow the wife's VW once because they disconnected the battery to disable the air bag.

I have never managed to get more than 5-6 years out of any car or truck I have ever owned. But then again I won't futz with a battery if it is older than 4 years old and it fails me once, it is gone. I don't like carrying jumper cables around with me asking for a start.

Steve
― Viktor E. Frankl

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:38 am
Hi, the batteries were both 'Exide'.  The first was in a Vauxhall Astra 1.3 I owned from new, and the second in as Ford Mondeo 1.8 I bought when it was 2 years old. Neither car was kept in a garage, and I put around 90,000 miles on each car. My daughter has a 21 year old Vauxhall Astra given to her by a family friend. We are told the battery in that was last replaced in 2006 - 9 years ago.

Mind you, the battery on my Enfield Electra crapped out after 2 years - the only component I have had fail on her. I replaced the failed one with a glass mat type from Hitchcocks, which so far is just fine. I'll check it in 10 years or so! :D

<edited by Blair to correct lousy spelling>
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:27:49 am by Blairio »

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 09, 2015, 09:30:18 pm
I typically get about 3 years out of a car battery, but I use cheap Walmart batteries. I also live in Phoenix, AZ, where the intense heat can be a battery killer. My motorcycle batteries used to be the same way, until I got battery maintainers for all of them. I keep them hooked up at all times when not riding. That more than doubled the life of the batteries.

I have a MotoBatt MBTX14AU in my 2013 B5. So far it has worked fine. But I have only been using it for about a month. And starting from the time I put it in the bike, it has been connected to a battery maintainer, specifically a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. I have a pigtail installed on the battery posts, and running out from under the side cover, so I can just plug it in and unplug it. This particular unit is not a battery charger, and will not overcharge the battery. It senses the batteries state of charge, and shuts off when the battery is fully charged. As the battery voltage slowly starts to drop, it comes back on just long enough to bring the battery back up to full charge. Also, unlike some battery chargers, it's output is regulated, and it has a very tiny output when it comes on to top off the battery.

"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson