Author Topic: GT sidestand cutout switch  (Read 4895 times)

stevej

• Scooter
on: October 03, 2015, 11:52:41 pm
Hi there,
I've been a Cgt owner for some time now but havn't commented on here before. Got caught in a heavy downpour the other day on the way home from work and the next day the bike started cutting out and stalling irregularly. Made it home ok and having read on here about others having problems with the sidestand cutout switch I pulled mine apart and found moisture inside and also faint evidence of arcing on one of the electrical contacts. Left it disconnected and bike appears to be running fine. Anyone else run into this problem?
Cheers
Steve

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:55:35 pm
This is a "known to be defective" part since the UCE first came out in 2009, Suggest you replace it and not run with the safety feature disabled
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 12:16:21 am
Kevin, are you saying that since it is known defective that the part will be replaced under warranty?
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 01:40:38 am
Only if your bike is still in warranty. Just saying they are the gift that keeps on giving for the parts department
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 01:43:52 am
Hello Stevej,
 Congrats on your CGT and welcome aboard.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:24:00 am
The switch may not be so bad if it wasn't in line with the fuel pump.  When the side stand is down the fuel pump wont work.  If the switch was able to bypass the fuel pump it may not be that big of a problem.  I tried to disconnect mine but the connection is hard to get to.  Once I figured out that it disables the fuel pump I figured it might be a good idea to disconnect it and remove the switch from the bike.  Id sure hate for it to crap out as 60 mph, crapping out and at the same time killing the fuel pump.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

stevej

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 04:20:21 am
Thanks Ice, Yes it is in a very vulnerable position to cop all the spray from the front tyre. It's coming up to our wet season and as the bike is my daily ride to work  I want it to be as reliable as possible, so I'm inclined to leave it disconnected.

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:30:04 am
I didn't have any problems with mine but I disconnected it anyway after hearing it can cause problems.

Also I like to warm the bike up on the side stand as I lock up the garage - just don't forget to flip it up before setting off!  :o

John

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 02:37:01 pm
The switch may not be so bad if it wasn't in line with the fuel pump.  When the side stand is down the fuel pump wont work.  If the switch was able to bypass the fuel pump it may not be that big of a problem.  I tried to disconnect mine but the connection is hard to get to.  Once I figured out that it disables the fuel pump I figured it might be a good idea to disconnect it and remove the switch from the bike.  Id sure hate for it to crap out as 60 mph, crapping out and at the same time killing the fuel pump.

KiD, how else would it then keep the engine from running on the side stand?  It's a disabler. Is it supposed to nag you like your mother?
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

SSdriver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 07:06:03 pm

So...you want it to shut down the engine, but keep pumping fuel?
Sorry, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.
...Jimmy
2014 CGT
Stage One Kit and a bunch of other stuff.
1994 Jag XJS V12 Convertible (and U think the RE has maintenance issues...Ha!)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 07:50:29 pm
Actually, the sidestand switch powers the side stand relay when the sidestand is down.
The side stand relay is a normally closed switch so unless it is powered, it provides the ground path for the main power relay.

The main power relay is a normally open switch so it only operates when there is power and a ground path to energize it.

When the main power switch is energized it provides power for the fuel pump, the fuel injector, the ignition coil and the ECU.

Said in a simpler way if the sidestand is down all electrical power to the fuel pump, fuel injector, ignition coil and ECU is turned off.

By disconnecting the side stand switch where it plugs into the wiring harness, the side stand switch can not be energized so it will continue to provide the ground path necessary for the main power relay to provide power to all of the things needed to keep the engine running.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:33:27 pm
Too bad the gt side stand switch isn't wired like the one on my 01 Bonneville.  It shuts off the engine if the side stand is down, AND the gearbox is in gear.  But then my Bonneville doesn't have a center stand!

xpertmachinist

• Bulleteer
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 03:59:15 pm
Here is an idea-----Emergency Shut off.   Most bike racers are required to run an emergency kill switch. If you go down the switch shuts off the engine as it is clipped to the rider. I am sure many of us have watched our bike keep on rolling if you fell off.      Our GT’s have a kick stand off switch. This switch shuts down the fuel pump as well as the ignition. I intend to wire this switch into this circuit, it is like a perfect match. ----it might not be practical for a daily driver, but it is another theft deterrent if you choose to try this .

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:26 pm
Here is an idea-----Emergency Shut off.   Most bike racers are required to run an emergency kill switch. If you go down the switch shuts off the engine as it is clipped to the rider. I am sure many of us have watched our bike keep on rolling if you fell off.

This shouldn't happen with these bikes as they have a roll over sensor under the seat which cuts off the fuel pump and ignition if the bike tips over.

It's separate from the side stand switch.

John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:01:25 pm by JohnDL »

xpertmachinist

• Bulleteer
  • Riding since I was 5yo. New to Royal Enfield.
Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 02:54:55 pm
JohnDL,

I do know about the turn over switch, I think it is a great safety feature. I have to run a E-Kill switch that is attached to the rider for competition. It might be easier just to have the kill switch grounded to the coil wire.  Thanks for pointing that out though.