Author Topic: paint code required for yellow gt  (Read 4435 times)

al_the_van_man

• Scooter
on: October 01, 2015, 03:52:09 pm
Hi Ladies & Gentlemen, I am a newbie , just had my delivery mileage bike delivered yesterday. I have bought the double seat as an option, but it comes only with the red hump, do any of you know the paint code for the yellow as I want to get a painter to paint it to match? I know I can give him a panel, but would rather keep the bike in one piece while I run it in!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:18:14 pm
I don't think anyone outside or Royal Enfield knows exactly what the yellow paint code is and even then, it is probably to an Indian spec.

I suppose you could use your side panel and have some place try to match it using a paint color analyzer.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:09:20 pm by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 08:04:44 pm
"yellow spray 390413"  is what it says on the touchup paint can.  Call your dealer and ask where your extras are.  The bike should have come with an owner's manuel, spare inner tubes, cables, and a spraycan of touchup.   

al_the_van_man

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:21:43 am
Cheers,  thought that would be the answer. Got my box of bits, inner tubes,  5 cables (why so many??) and spanner. No touch up though.
Just got to run it in now, it's going to be a nice day here in the UK,  so will try to get plenty of miles in!

mevocgt

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:43 pm
There is a link somewhere in this site to the U.K. importer's site that has a listing for a yellow cowled 2 up seat for sale. 

Here it is:
http://www.moto-passion.co.uk/accessories/royal-enfield-4/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-continental-gt-dual-seat-with-foot-rests-rear-cowl-4423.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:10:55 pm by MeVoCGT »

al_the_van_man

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 05:41:50 pm
Thanks pal, but already bought the red one! Still,  had a nice trundle down some quiet country lanes and put 60 miles on it.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 07:47:55 pm
... Got my box of bits, inner tubes,  5 cables (why so many??) and spanner. No touch up though.

You should have received 1 clutch cable, 1 Bi Starter cable, two throttle cables (one to open the throttle and one to close it).
I think you might have also received a speedometer cable?
I'm not sure why they would have included one because I believe the speedometer is digital and doesn't use a cable but I could be wrong. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:16:05 pm
You should have received 1 clutch cable, 1 Bi Starter cable, two throttle cables (one to open the throttle and one to close it).
I think you might have also received a speedometer cable?
I'm not sure why they would have included one because I believe the speedometer is digital and doesn't use a cable but I could be wrong. :)

Your right it is digital. At first glance it looks like a cable but soon as you put your hand on it, you can tell it is a wire.

You would think since it is digital it would be accurate. Just another personality trait to appreciate.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 11:11:34 pm
That makes sense.

I suppose riders might find themselves off road riding thru large bushes and end up with a bush ripping the speedometer wire off at the lower end.  That could rip it out of its connector so having a spare wire might be needed.

If it wasn't needed for that, maybe it could be used to tie a 6 pack somewhere?  ;D ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 05:09:39 pm
Paint matching is a real problem and has been from day 1. The paint code used by the paint company that RE uses will not cross into anything in the western world. If they used Dupont for example it would. We have fought this battle for over 16 years. I am not suggesting that they use poor paint because they don't. Like so many things RE in an international world they are very India Centric and can't help. What we have done with great success is color match the paint here.
Dupont stores (and others now) have a machine that will match your paint by taking a picture of it. It is about 90-98%. If you need a better match find a store with a good "paint man" who can finish the match with his eye.  They do exist. Go to a body shop or two and ask them who that guy is. You can also look through hundred of paint swatches (most of which have a hole in the middle so you can put  your piece behind it for a better  match.). This is all pretty hard with Military since the color and sheen are all over the map. We have found that RE paint colors can be all over the map from batch to batch which is a reason it is best to match your particular bike. GT's seems to be pretty consistent.

Best match to your own bike.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

JohnDL

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 09:40:15 am
I'm glad I held out for the yellow cowl instead of painting a red one after reading Kevin's post above.

I'm not sure if they're more readily available now than they were a few months ago, but the link above to the UK importer's website can't be relied on as they advertise it as in stock when it may not be.

It's best check with them first if you're buying in the UK.

John

al_the_van_man

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 07:23:30 pm
My paint bloke has matched it as  1625 if that helps anyone else. ....202 miles done only another 100 and I can then ride at the dizzy speed of 50mph (80kmh)!!!