Author Topic: Your recomendations for new exhaust silencer. Please  (Read 1616 times)

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
on: October 01, 2015, 03:08:09 am
 I plan on pulling off the "bazooka" silencer, then "dremeling" out the "hot tube" and replacing with an reasonable looking bottle type silencer.

Any recommendations on chrome silencers, and things to avoid?

Note: The exhaust opening is 1 and 3/4 inches .I believe an Iron Barrel type exhaust silencer will bolt up.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:18:03 am by REpozer »
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 07:38:54 am
We like the Emgo megaphone. You can usually find them on Ebay for cheap, and they work well.
If you prefer other styles, just search Ebay for motorcycle muffler of 1-3/4" size, and there will be a million of them. It's the same size as most Harley mufflers, and you can even use a Harley muffler on it if you want to.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 05:41:57 pm
Depending on the length of your bike's downpipe you can get the short bottle silencers with longer inlets to match short downpipes, as well as SBS with short inlets for longer downpipes, of course.

No shortage of either type on ebay, and they look the part compared to some custom mufflers. Some are more heavily baffled than others, so the quieter ones might lose you some performance.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:28 pm
Take care with some of those universal megas. They come with small bore/very crude internal pipe work and baffling that would work ok on one of the world's tens of millions of Chinese fake Honda 125s. Not so good on a 500 single. I bought one cheap and reworked the internals with a piece of two inch bore mild steel pipe, plugged and side drilled. This gave me a three chamber silencer, with plenty of flow.

As detailed here:
https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,19843.msg217985.html#msg217985

2001 500 Bullet Deluxe