Author Topic: Silver paint "appears" on my exhaust  (Read 2720 times)

John S

• Scooter
on: September 30, 2015, 07:40:53 pm
I'm sure this has been addressed in another post before now but I cant locate within the Forum Search. - Silver paint on the welds has mysteriously appeared on the exhaust pipe of my fairly new C5 where chrome was before.  Has the chrome "burnt" away?  Thanks.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:07:08 pm
It was likely already there and you didn't notice it.  We all have it.  RE chromes the pieces of the exhaust and THEN welds them.  They use silver paint to cover the welded areas.  We lovingly call this "Madras chrome".  Most manufacturers weld the pieces together and then chrome the whole assembly.   RE doesn't.

Scott

john hut

• John Hut
  • Scooter
  • EFI Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:49:26 pm
Being a welder myself I cant understand the logic in it as its much easier and stronger to weld clean metal than chromed , and better looking chromed afterwards, but then again it is Royal Enfield..
John Electra Deluxe Efi

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 09:13:29 pm
Being a welder myself I cant understand the logic in it as its much easier and stronger to weld clean metal than chromed , and better looking chromed afterwards, but then again it is Royal Enfield..

You understand it perfectly :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 10:08:04 pm

It's a teeter-totter with piles of money stacked on both ends.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:09:29 pm
My understanding is that in India they weld, then chrome, then for additional protection, paint the chrome plated welds silver. 

I was told that you can remove the silver protective coating and find chrome. 

Everything I've ordered from India is like that, not just RE.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 10:25:22 pm
That makes even less sense.

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:29:51 pm
Welcome to India!

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:36:01 pm
Welcome to India!

It's just Econ 101.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:05 pm
I wonder if there's a YouTube video of an old craftsman hand painting chrome welds.  You know the rest of the world just has robots doing that stuff.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 11:31:35 pm
I cleaned the Silver paint off my Upswept Exhaust pipe with acetone, there was chrome under the paint, now knowing Royal Enfield HOW thick the chrome is I don't want to think about.  ::) 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:15:49 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 12:13:36 am
I had always believed the folks at RE welded the chrome parts and then just painted over the weld with aluminum paint.  Kind of a crummy way to protect the weld. :(

I was curious after reading the comments above too so I just went out and drug my old telephone pole/torpedo back into the house and scraped off the aluminum paint on the front bracket weld with a straight blade screwdriver.

Lo and behold!  Under the aluminum paint, the weld was nicely chrome plated!
They welded the flanges on, chromed the weldment and then painted on the crummy looking aluminum paint.

Although their chrome is notoriously thin, I don't have the foggiest idea about why they would do this and the final product with its aluminum paint looks like hell.

Oh.  After discovering the chrome plated welds I got to thinking, maybe I should strip off the aluminum paint from all of the welds.

With that in mind, I tried using denatured alcohol, MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone ) and Acetone.
None of these had any effect on the painted surfaces.
Maybe I'll try an official paint remover but I really hate working with that stuff.  It's really nasty.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 12:39:21 am
yeah I reckon that car paint stripper would get it off -if I have any still about I will give it a trial run

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 12:55:47 am
I kept the silver paint and added a saree guard! 

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 01:29:26 am
I guess I was able to use acetone because I cleaned the paint off before I used the pipe. I guess the paint cured after it got hot and now will be a bugger to get off. 
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel