Author Topic: little Accident  (Read 4825 times)

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
on: September 30, 2015, 04:03:34 pm
While riding to my work today, I had a little accident. Car in front of me at a turn braked hard and so did I and slipped! (I noticed drum brakes gets so strong if left out in the rain and I guess that's what happened). Now the gear lever is not moving at all ...its struck I guess. I had to leave the motorcycle there on the street as I had go back to work. Can I remove the gear lever and fix it ? any suggestions? gear is on the left side (2001 500cc Iron Barrel)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:13:06 pm by lonsomecrow »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:09:36 pm
Get the bike put on a flatbed tow truck and have it brought back to your home. Work on ir there.  The left shift is a nightmare,  and will take some effort to make right, even if you don't need to buy parts.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:11:46 pm
Thanks Tom.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 04:31:35 pm
left side shift in a 2001 means you have the dreaded linkage that routes underneath like the brake.  probably got bent, but like Tom said,  do a proper fix at home rather than on the side of the road
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 05:47:49 pm
I don't have garage. I'll probably work on the street garage :).

pknopp

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 06:52:44 pm
 It is probably bent. It would be a good time to swap it over to right hand shift.
2000 Dlx

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:26 pm
i think it was Pete Snidal who said the shifter should be on the right side because "thats where God intended it to be."   and thats the truth.
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 10:23:59 pm
My 03' got stuck in 1st by one tiny piece of gravel. +1 to Tom's advise.
Roverman.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 12:46:57 am
 now that i think about it, mine got hung up in a gear. it was one of the cotter pins( in the linkage) had fallen out, and the roll pin it was supposed to heep it place had slid almost all the way out. but it was jammed on the side of the engine case so it was stuck. i managed to push the roll pin back in and used some really long needle nose pliers and put a hitch pin back in.
 at that time i didnt want to take the primary off because it sounded complicated, but in hindsight it might have been easier.
 i think i saw Nfield had the kit in stock again to help the left shift linkage sniffen up.  if you need any of the linkage parts let me know. you can have.  i should still have all the old stuff in my shed. but the foot lever part kept falling off so its not much good. 
 Have a nice day.

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 12:56:35 am
now that i think about it, mine got hung up in a gear. it was one of the cotter pins( in the linkage) had fallen out, and the roll pin it was supposed to heep it place had slid almost all the way out. but it was jammed on the side of the engine case so it was stuck. i managed to push the roll pin back in and used some really long needle nose pliers and put a hitch pin back in.
 at that time i didnt want to take the primary off because it sounded complicated, but in hindsight it might have been easier.
 i think i saw Nfield had the kit in stock again to help the left shift linkage sniffen up.  if you need any of the linkage parts let me know. you can have.  i should still have all the old stuff in my shed. but the foot lever part kept falling off so its not much good.

Hey As the motorcycle fell of left side and thats where it hit the gear lever and bended it. Just now I tried hard to move around but this damn this is struck! Do I need to remove primary? I could see with a torch light (its already dark out here) behind the primary there is another shaft like thing and its little off with the lever that slide into it ...if it makes an sense ;-)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:03:21 am by lonsomecrow »

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:35:17 am
 Very good lighting is a requirement to work on the mouse trap shifter linkage.

BTW the grab in the brakes ? that is due to extra "traction" if you will of the the brake drums surface.

The extra traction comes from a fine thin layer of rust which can form in as little as a few hours if the atmospheric condition are right for it.

"Pumping" the brakes while moving at walking speed until it goes away usually clears it up in a very short distance.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:42:42 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 01:36:53 am
Yeah, towing it back home. I'll look at it tomorrow morning

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 01:43:55 am
 Fantastic. And glad you weren't hurt.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 01:59:17 am
i would advise pulling the primary off. its almost impossible to get in there and see whats wrong, then fix it. if you have never taken the primary off, watch that video and it makes it pretty clear.( this guy has alot of videos) also read hitchcocks tech notes. to get the big nut off the front shaft( with the alt windings) use a long breaker bar with the socket on the nut and get the engine to compression stroke. then tap the end of the breaker bar with a hammer. that part is not in the video.  its all in the notes.  some people can get the clutch hub off by hand but i had to use a gear puller.  http://www.hoohoohoblin.com/RoyalEnfieldBullet500.html
 Have a nice day.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 03:55:56 pm
Hey Girish, hope you are OK man.  Next time give me a call I might be able to help.  Did you get it sorted?  I think I have a spare left side linkage here in the garage (from Jeremy's bike).  Hit me up

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: October 03, 2015, 04:40:31 pm
Hey Girish, hope you are OK man.  Next time give me a call I might be able to help.  Did you get it sorted?  I think I have a spare left side linkage here in the garage (from Jeremy's bike).  Hit me up
Hey Mike, no man motorcycle is still not fixed. I'm not sure how to do it and it was raining too. The gear lever on the left is not moving at all. I'm fine just few bruises and sore muscle. Thanks. It;'d be great if you can help man

lonsomecrow

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2015, 05:08:16 pm
Finally fixed the gear lever for now by hitting on roller pin inside but its till loose so I need to tighten it up but i can start it and able to change gears