Author Topic: Royal Enfield Favorite Ride to date...and why  (Read 4160 times)

mc35803

• Bulleteer
on: September 29, 2015, 11:44:21 am
As a companion topic to WildBill's "Royal Enfield...Why you bought one...or more" because I think he hit in dead on the nail in saying: who wants to read day after day dismal reports on what's falling off these bikes and who has the shits with them.......post your favorite ride you've had on your Royal Enfield so far...and why.    Could be fun and I think new RE owners might be surprised at some of the places we've ridden.

Favorite ride so far was after the 300 miles service...left early in the morning before the town woke up....and took a country road not to far from home.  The road wound around through farm lands and fields before I spied a old road turning off from the main road.  Always wondering "what's down that road" I turned and proceeded down a little road that eventually became a one lane road that ran several miles through hills and turns along old fence lines and fields.  I swear I could feel the presence of riders from a long gone era riding along with me....stopping at places to admire the view before kick starting their bikes and heading off on their own adventures......i knew then that I was going to enjoy this bike for a long time.   
Miles

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:00:39 pm
now why not make it even better - next time out lets take our camera and take a photo of our local countryside -bike included in the shot - might get mine in tomorrow  ;)

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:32:17 pm
I'm kind of blessed to live at the edge of a rather urban setting that quickly turns to rolling roads through pine and hardwood stands, smaller towns, large amounts of farmland and lake upon river upon stream upon pond.

If I were able to, I could ride every day and rarely take the same route twice and use that to tailor those rides to my mood or liking.

I live in Ann Arbor Michigan, the heart of the Huron valley and the associated lakelands.  Although the terrain is not mountainous by any stretch of the imagination, the glacial moraine topography makes for some very interesting and entertaining roads.

So, in my case, describing a "favorite ride" could be a difficult thing, other than on my Enfield the sensations are multiplied by the anti appliance experience she supplies.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 06:28:23 pm
now why not make it even better - next time out lets take our camera and take a photo of our local countryside -bike included in the shot - might get mine in tomorrow  ;)

Good idea. What I would really like is a gyroscopic cam. I'm not keen on the idea of wearing one.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:18:15 am
I might do a gopro4 one -will try it out

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 02:27:45 am
 I REaly need to think on this one...........
No matter where you go, there, you are.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:50:41 pm
here's a quick lap around the block while I had a go at setting up the gopro4 using a suction clamp attached to the glass surface of the speedometer.
I set the video mode to super wide angle. now I have it set up and first run completed all I have to do is raise the viewing angle a bit higher and maybe narrow the view angle to just - wide then I am ready take off on the favorite ride section through the aust bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p5P1OmsMfaE

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 12:15:47 am
Beautiful country Bill. I used to be a rancher 20 years ago. Those look like some good spring pastures.

I need visit Oz someday. Long flight though. I've been to Seoul and Bejing and that was a killer.

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 12:47:18 am
thanks. you could say  its about a 2 minute trip from the front door to open range country

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 07:04:22 am
here's a portion of the run I do the most of all. freeze at 3.30 into the run and look on the road near the yellow sign.
first few days of spring here and this eastern brown snake about 5 foot in length is just out of hibernation.
these buggars are rated as number 2 as the most deadliest in the world and although they have only small fangs -they are extremely aggressive...and I mean aggressive.
they strike more than once and the victim sometime doesn't even realize they have been bitten at all.
the usual procedure here. don't clean the bite area, full compression bandage  to the entire limb and keep the patient calm and then ring an ambulance........or second choice it's a measure up and a trip to the cemetery. those are the only choices....lol
they knock over a lot more of us than the great white sharks or a croc!
that one in the video was probable 100 yards from that house and still in the town limits. first I thought it was a garden hose and when I saw it was a brow I was deciding if I'd stop or give the bike some gas.
these browns can lift off the ground at least 3ft so there the chance of being bitten or having the thing wrapped around the bike or worse.
now why do they worry me. twemty years ago while trout fishing a local stream I startled a large brown and it took a strike at me and missed my shoe but left both its fang marks imprinted in soft rubber heal section of the jogger shoes. that made my knees buckle. never went back there again.
biggest one I ever shot was 30 odd years ago while shooting rabbits with a 22.250. use to be my favorite gun and fire roughly 10,000 rounds through it. that snake was 7 foot 10 inches - huge brown
today these reptiles are now protected by law so you are stuffed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KmpSVgw7Qg0

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 10:55:10 am
You guys living down there with your deadly brown snakes and your bird-eating spiders... I'm telling you you're all nuts!  Pretty countryside, though...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 06:01:02 pm
You guys living down there with your deadly brown snakes and your bird-eating spiders... I'm telling you you're all nuts!  Pretty countryside, though...
Not to mention the menace of the Drop Bears just waiting in a nearby tree for unsuspecting tourists to wander by....
Home of the Fireball 535 !

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:23:58 pm
Not to mention the menace of the Drop Bears just waiting in a nearby tree for unsuspecting tourists to wander by....

I looked up drop bears. They remind me of my Boy Scout leader inspired nights of snipe hunting. That activity gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "left holding the bag."

Steve
― Viktor E. Frankl

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 10:58:36 pm
Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous marsupials related to koalas (although the koala is not a bear) that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 12:49:31 am
"...and bears! Oh my!"  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Mulga Bill

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 12:42:36 pm
Favourite ride so far was this am about 150miles around Mt Warning and the Tweed Valley in Northern New South Wales ( Australia). Lots of twisties, turns and hills. Luckily it's not Drop Bear breeding season otherwise it would be unsafe under the mating trees. No snakes either but a great coffee to finish off.
2015 C5 Classic Black

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 03:06:47 pm
Nothing like a cup of coffee after finishing off a snake.  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 10:18:36 pm
I've ridden over 5K miles in India and Nepal.  It'd be impossible for me to pick the best ride from that trip.  The Spiti Valley, Ladakh it is all unreal.  South India is pretty great as well, I can remember some spectacular rides in Karnataka.

Here in New York, I ride often in Harriman State park.  There is great riding in the Hudson Valley and the Catskills as well.  I've had some unforgettable rides up there and do my best to go as often as possible

People always say: riding in the city must suck, and for the most part they are right.  However, when I read the OP's question I can't help but think about my Friday night rides after welding class this summer.  830PM sun setting, over the Brooklyn Bridge with a great view of the new WTC.  Then up the FDR with the engine echoing off the side walls as the UN and Midtown come into view.  I exit and take the outer roadway of the Queensbridge, look back down the East River, Rose Island and the sun has almost set.  Through LIC then back to Brooklyn.  It's only a 20-30 minute ride but every one of those rides were the perfect ride.  No traffic, de-stressing,  great scenery and a chance put my bike and myself to the test.

Sometimes the best rides are unexpected.

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 11:11:51 pm
Quote from: Mike_D link=topic=22529.msg254612#msg254612 date=144407991
Sometimes the best rides are unexpected.
[/quote

That is so true for lot more in life than just bikes.

Steve
― Viktor E. Frankl