Author Topic: Mods for a long trip  (Read 7823 times)

IrvsC5

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 09:13:37 pm
... and don't forget pain killers for you back!  :)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 04:13:04 am
Liquid flat repair is good stuff, slimy liquid that goes into the tube.  It will seal a nail hole but not a large slash.  You need to remove the valve core to squirt it it.  It can be a mess to clean up in a tubeless tire or if it does not seal the tube and gets out between the tire and the tube, but it's great for sealing small punctures and is way easier than changing a tube on the side of the road.

Also, get some decent, large tire irons.  The little 4" irons in the stock kit are worthless.

Scott

Not so bad with a bit of practice.  ;D

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 05:54:13 am
Yes, any job gets easier the more you do it.  If you've never done it, it's harder, especially when the chips are really down.  Practice is best though, and practicing removing and replacing both tires at least once before you leave for the trip.

And take Ice's opinion with a grain of salt.  Last time he was in town he missed our lunch date because he removed the head off a bike to see what was wrong, on the side of the road!  What he can do is far beyond what we mortals can achieve.  But he is right about the practice ;)

Scott

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 05:55:42 am
... and don't forget pain killers for you back!  :)

Yes!  And ear plugs.  There's more noise in your helmet than you may realize, it's quite exhausting over a long day.  I find ear plugs really help cut down on the fatigue.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:43 am
Yes, any job gets easier the more you do it.  If you've never done it, it's harder, especially when the chips are really down.  Practice is best though, and practicing removing and replacing both tires at least once before you leave for the trip.

And take Ice's opinion with a grain of salt.  Last time he was in town he missed our lunch date because he removed the head off a bike to see what was wrong, on the side of the road!  What he can do is far beyond what we mortals can achieve.  But he is right about the practice ;)

Scott

Not worries, it wasn't my bike;D

That was our good friend Kurt's bike.  It dropped the exhaust valve seat.
 Valve adjustment were needed every 20 miles but in spite of this it made the 165 mile ride home.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: October 03, 2015, 10:24:07 am
Too bad Kurt wasn't riding a UCE Enfield - it could have adjusted its own valves every 20 miles...  ;)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 06:33:17 pm
Too bad Kurt wasn't riding a UCE Enfield - it could have adjusted its own valves every 20 miles...  ;)
:o
 ;D
 ;)

Touche!

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:29 am
Much as I love my 2010 G5 Deluxe, I wouldn't travel on it. I'd want more speed for any given situation, & more Grunt to carry stuff. I would not hesitate on a good running Air Head BMW R75 on up. Be a lot less stress, & a lot less punishment for the Enfield.  Always get the best tool for the job.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 04:41:20 pm
Much as I love my 2010 G5 Deluxe, I wouldn't travel on it. I'd want more speed for any given situation, & more Grunt to carry stuff. I would not hesitate on a good running Air Head BMW R75 on up. Be a lot less stress, & a lot less punishment for the Enfield.  Always get the best tool for the job.

+1
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

stevew

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 09:53:54 pm
Well here's my two penny worth !

Mentioned earlier.........................Airhawk & ear plugs (these are the ones that work for me....Howard Leight Fusion Reusable Ear Plugs)
Soft luggage if it's going to be rough.  Hand guards and a screen to lower fatigue.
With an Enfield you can throw away most things that break and replace them when you get home  :D  Spare cables & basic tools to remove wheels and fix punctures.

And as an aside.  I really don't think you need a "big" bike for long distance but of course Aus might be different.  A big bike is needed for speed and the speed you need to travel is decided by your own mindset.  Most of my distance stuff here in Europe is on a C90 or a CG125.............bet i see more than the GSers  ;)
2014, Honda Wave 110i
2013, Maxsym 400i
2001, C90
2011, B5 UCI Enfield
Orpington, UK

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 10:17:31 pm
+1 !

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 10:32:42 pm
Unfortunately not everyone has more than one bike, so you use what you have. The main thing is to ride to the conditions and to the bikes capabilities, nothing wrong with sitting on 90klms all day if that's what is comfortably to you and the bike, that way you will get to see things along the way.
Make the ride the best part of the holiday and enjoy it!

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:31 pm
Unfortunately not everyone has more than one bike, so you use what you have. The main thing is to ride to the conditions and to the bikes capabilities, nothing wrong with sitting on 90klms all day if that's what is comfortably to you and the bike, that way you will get to see things along the way.
Make the ride the best part of the holiday and enjoy it!
I'm very sorry Tenacres, for being my usual pessimistic self. My other bike is an 02 Ural fixer-upper, one might think an excellent choice for a trip, but mine is strictly local (I only get free towing 10 miles from home). I understand most people younger than myself are much hardier & more enthusiastic. I ALWAYS think of the worst that can happen before proceeding. My point was WHAT IF the bike broke on the trip, a long way from parts or towing, what then? Here is your favorite thing broken by the side of the road, how do you get it home & fixed - Not a fun trip at all.  I probably wouldn't make the trip, or ride a bus, if the odds weren't stacked heavily in my favor, in other words something as BULLETPROOF as possible. A RENTED/STOLEN bike might make all the difference in the enjoyment of a trip.
Good Luck to you,  Craig
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

tenacres650

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: October 09, 2015, 02:16:24 am
2 years ago a small group of us did a 4000k's trip from Melbourne to the Finders Rangers, via Little Desert, Danggali and came home though Broken Hill on DR650's. We are in our 50's, but a friend who had only just got his M/C licence (never ridden before) was in his 60's. He said it was the best thing he'd ever done, apart from falling off in the sand (many times)!
Just do one day at a time and be prepared to slow down and enjoy the sights.
We meet one guy in the Flinders on a push bike! and we thought we were doing it tough!

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 03:13:27 am
I'm very sorry Tenacres, for being my usual pessimistic self. My other bike is an 02 Ural fixer-upper, one might think an excellent choice for a trip, but mine is strictly local (I only get free towing 10 miles from home). I understand most people younger than myself are much hardier & more enthusiastic. I ALWAYS think of the worst that can happen before proceeding. My point was WHAT IF the bike broke on the trip, a long way from parts or towing, what then? Here is your favorite thing broken by the side of the road, how do you get it home & fixed - Not a fun trip at all.  I probably wouldn't make the trip, or ride a bus, if the odds weren't stacked heavily in my favor, in other words something as BULLETPROOF as possible. A RENTED/STOLEN bike might make all the difference in the enjoyment of a trip.
Good Luck to you,  Craig

We bring a few spares, take our time and have one or more friends willing to come bring aid or support if need be just in case.

2 years ago a small group of us did a 4000k's trip from Melbourne to the Finders Rangers, via Little Desert, Danggali and came home though Broken Hill on DR650's. We are in our 50's, but a friend who had only just got his M/C licence (never ridden before) was in his 60's. He said it was the best thing he'd ever done, apart from falling off in the sand (many times)!
Just do one day at a time and be prepared to slow down and enjoy the sights.
We meet one guy in the Flinders on a push bike! and we thought we were doing it tough!

That's my style of touring right there !!!! Sounds like you had immense fun.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:16:21 am by Ice »