Author Topic: forward foot controls  (Read 8334 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 05:44:04 pm
 Shifter linkage will be easy enough. Brake linkage will be a nightmare or uglier than a plate full of mortal sin. My inclination would be to go with a hydraulic master cylinder up front and a hydraulic slave cylinder in back to actuate the existing brake lever arm.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #16 on: October 02, 2015, 12:24:09 am
Thanks for the input , I've looked at HD,s to see there setup for foot controls. I'm not looking to move the foot controls way forward. Matter of fact Ice's pic is about where I would like to move them, maybe not even that far. The major problem is the exhaust pipe on right side. The shifter side not a problem at all. I was hoping someone would have done or tried this before so I could get some insight on doing this. I'm not trying to make my B5 into a cruiser, just to get a little pain relieve for knees & ankles.
Dan
Going with a flat bench seat, you could scoot back on, would be cheaper/easier.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: October 02, 2015, 07:29:48 pm
I liked my cruiser when I had it, hated the forward controls.  Can't really put any weight on them so it's all on your butt/spine like Craig said.  Also, wind up your pant legs isn't so much fun.

Before you go to move the controls, I'd see if you can rig up some extra footpegs where you think you want them.  Try them out, see how it feels.  Also, there were some folding footpegs on NField Gear:
http://www.nfieldgear.com/premium-chrome-footpegs-front/
I think these will actually mount up to the newer UCE models, then you can mount up bits from Kuryakyn:
http://www.kuryakyn.com/category/4/pegs-foot-controls
That includes offsets, different pegs, and floor boards. 

Not sure it would all play together, you're going into uncharted territory, but you might come up with something you like.

Craig, I really like the HD Nightster when it came out.  Minimal, stripped, raw, no chrome, and the pegs were in a reasonable location.  Then I found out it has something like 2-3" of rear suspension travel, and that makes for a notably rough ride :(  Still a cool looking bike.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 07:41:10 pm
The rider on that Rebel is too tall for it. That is about how I looked on my former Rebel, except my knees stuck up even higher. But a Rebel is a very small bike built to the scale of a full size Harley, and does not fit riders over about 5'4" well. My favorite (and most comfortable ) riding position is where everything is at a 90 degree angle. You sit straight upright, thighs completely horizontal, knees and ankles at 90 degree angles. The bars are high enough and come back far enough that you can reach them with your arms completely relaxed, and your neck should be straight. That position works especially well with a rider backrest.

The B5 is not uncomfortable for shorter rides, but it is not a touring bike, at least not for someone like me. Even cruisers get uncomfortable (for me) when you put the pegs way out front where your legs are basically straight. That starts to hurt in a hurry.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 11:55:47 pm
The crash bar on my KLR has s place for foot pegs to use so I bought a cheap pair and slapped them on. I tried them out on a long trip and went I got home took them off and dropped them in the trashcan. The problem is they moved my weight onto my tailbone and put my butt to sleep. NOT very comfortable at all. I still use the passanger pegs as a place to rest my feets at times for a change of pace BUT only on a open road with very little to no traffic.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Narada

• Grand Gearhead
  • Riding the Madrass Missile!
Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 04:00:06 pm
Yogis (in the west, where we are fond of chairs) sit still painlessly for many long hours by keeping their spine straight and feet flat on the floor in front of them, knees bent at 90 degrees.

My C5 puts me in that same position or "asana" in yoga lingo when I ride.

I have been enjoying the "Royal Enfield Asana" since my first ride. It enables me to sit painlessly for many long hours while riding. This is one of the things I love about my bike.
Realize your Self on a Royal Enfield.

2015 Classic Chrome/Maroon; "Bholenath", Ported head by GHG, AVL Pistons, Hitchcocks H.P. Cams, PC-V, A/T,  Kenda-761's, Koso TNT, Premium EFI Silencer.

2015 Triumph T-100 Orange/Black, TTP Stage-2 induction
2012 Triumph Scrambler / Dauntless M-72D Sidecar.