Author Topic: Back on the road  (Read 2657 times)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
on: September 27, 2015, 10:35:55 pm
What with work, the weather, me feeling bad and the bike being down I haven't ridden the RE in about 2-3 weeks. But the motor mount nut came in and then the rectifier bracket showed up last Thursday but I didn't have time, that work thing ya know, but I got in on today and off I went for a 3 hour ride. The bikes runs better than ever as you'd think now that all the motor mounts are tight to spec. I got it up to 75MPH true and it didn't feel strained nor was it shaking like a leaf. I mostly ride in the 45-55MPH range so this was new for me on the C5 anyway. I do get rolling on the Versys but it's a different beast.

Only downside was I needed to hit the grocery store and had to stop and get the car as there's nowhere to carry a bunch of stuff on the RE.

I made a couple of rectifier brackets at work that will use all three bolt to hold it on the bike BUT they are off at powder and as it being done free won't be back for a week or so more. In the meantime I use a factory bracket and WildBill's zip tie trick to steady it up so maybe it won't break again.

Only sad thing about the ride was the farmers are getting in the crops and the leaves are turning so that means winter is on the way and the bikes will be in the garage for "The Long Sleep" soon.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 11:29:42 pm
For me, both as a 56 year old lifelong rider, and a professional auto/truck mechanic for 32 years (now disabled/retired) I have always seen the Enfield as a do it yourself bike. I would have gotten that nut somewhere else (it would have probably have been better quality) and fabricated my own bracket. I replaced my battery with a sealed AGM type, but have not done anything with the trouble prone cables yet. Rather than replace just the end, I plan on replacing both cables with some from a Japanese bike. I believe there are a lot of mechanical/electrical things on the Enfield that can be made better.

Glad to hear you got it going again. I rode mine about 150 miles this morning, and had a blast. Whether it will go faster or not, I prefer to ride in the 55-60 range. That seems to be it's sweet spot, where the sound and vibration levels are just about perfect. Any faster and the rpm kills the sound. Even Harleys don't sound all that great at high speed. I love that "thump thump thump" sound that goes away at higher speeds. But as I've said before, the Enfield is strictly a recreational toy for me.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 11:33:15 pm
Glad you are back on the road!
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43:47 am
Also Glad Your Rolling again. Pick up a wax cotton riding suit & extend your riding season, plenty of decent winter riding weather. I have heard some doctors say that people who are outdoors a lot in cold weather don't seem to suffer from arthritis as much. I miss cooler weather in SW Florida. My arthritis
seems to bother me plenty here.
Good Luck, Be Well 
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 07:51:55 pm
Here in Scotland we are enjoying an 'Indian Summer' - bright but cool days, perfect for riding. The changing colour of the landscape just adds to this.

I second the suggestion to get decent waxed cotton riding gear: it looks good (and looks better with age) and works well. A bit like an Enfield, I guess.....

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:06:04 pm
 Another vote of popularity for waxed cotton.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:43:15 pm
Oh I have plenty of warm gear BUT when the Show Flies the bikes are parked. Only Urals like snow NOT Kawasakis or Royal Enfields, they fall over a lot. Ice is even worse. You're riding along minding your own business and next you sliding along the road on your head wondering what happened.

Plus Ohio salts everything in sight and salt will eat a bike alive. So when it dips below freezing I park them and dream of rides to come.

OR maybe I should move back down south to Florida?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 12:50:11 am by The Old Coot »
2012 Kawasaki Versys

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 12:40:52 am
Plus Ohio salts everything in sight and salt will eat a bike alive. So when it dips below freezing I park them and dream of rides to come.

Same in Maine, but here they're using that calcium stuff.  It's evil - destroys brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tanks, and lots of other stuff. I have a $1600 car repair bill to prove it!  :o

My bike hibernates...

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 12:43:35 am
Oh I have plenty of warm gear BUT when the Show Flies the bikes are parked. Only Urals like snow NOT Kawasakis or Royal Enfields, they fall over a lot. Ice is even worse. You're riding along minding your own business and next you sliding along the rode on you head wondering what happened.

"Go west young man, go west"
No matter where you go, there, you are.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 02:07:07 pm
New Mexico!  ;D

Coot, glad you're riding again!
Silver Lining: The upcoming Winter nap will give you time to consider and implement any mods you like.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 02:09:08 pm by heloego »
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 01:40:26 am
Oh I have plenty of warm gear BUT when the Show Flies the bikes are parked. Only Urals like snow NOT Kawasakis or Royal Enfields, they fall over a lot. Ice is even worse. You're riding along minding your own business and next you sliding along the road on your head wondering what happened.

I'm only staying in Florida because our daughter lives here. When I first moved here, I heard boisterous Yankees proclaiming it Paradise, like you were stupid for not coming sooner. I guess that's true if you come from overpopulated frozen HELL. Much of the summer it is to hot to be outside-even naked-much less ride. Winter is nicer, but dangerous with all the UNDEAD ZOMBIE northerners roaming the roads.
I loved it out west in Las Cruces NM where we lived about 6 years, but BAD medical help there. & it did get really cold for a few months. Where is paradise anyway?

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 11:56:58 am
Where is paradise anyway?

With winter on the way, it sure ain't here!

Signed, a marginally undead zombie northerner...

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 06:00:26 pm
Hey Matt, Nothing against northerners. Besides, you're not OLD enough to be considered an UNDEAD ZOMBIE. I was referring to those over 70 something who winter in Florida. You know, the ones with age mottled grey skin, mental patient white hair, who shamble around looking blank & growling at natives, & driving like poorly trained monkeys.
  See, that's not you, or even me - yet.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 07:28:15 pm
See, that's not you...

Sometimes I wonder -- excuse me a moment...

(Hey you kids - get off my lawn!!)

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 11:14:59 pm
I know those drivers, They never turn off the blinker, drive 30 in the left lane and will NOT move over. Pull out in front of you , you have to stand on the brakes to keep from hitting them, so they can go ONE drive up and turn in.

YET they always say "it's those motorcycles are so dangerous".

Before my Stepfather passed away he was scary to see behind the wheel he had more fender benders in the last year he drove than in the rest of the life BUT it took him running into the house to make him stop.
2012 Kawasaki Versys