Author Topic: Chain oil or spray wax  (Read 2413 times)

Eagle56

• Bulleteer
on: September 26, 2015, 05:23:02 pm
I'm using chain saw oil on my non o ring chain but had Good results with wurths dry wax spray but on an o ring chain

What are the preferencies

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 01:55:47 pm
I started using Maxima chain wax on my KLR 6 years ago and when I got my Versys it got the same treatment. Now both had "O" ring chains and both had early failures of the factory chains, (less that 10,000 miles, the KLR due to a BIG rock bashing the chain and rear sprocket  and the Versys due to a long ride in a driving rainstorm causing stiff links) I replaced the chains with a EK "X" ring chains and haven't had any problems. The KLR is at about 35,000 miles and the Versys is at 22,000 miles.

So I use it on the Enfield but it's way too soon to know how the chain will last, at about 2,000 miles motor oil would have done. What I do is I spray the chain after a ride when the chain is warm and the lube seems to "soak into" the links better. Then as it cools it sets up and there's very little "Slinging" and the mess is minimal. The trick is to spray into the gap between inner and outer link plate where to lube can get into the rollers. Just spraying the outside does next to nothing for you. The only thing is to be careful on the Enfield as the chain and muffler are on the same side and it'll make a mess of the pipe and after a ride that sucker's HOT. I also wipe off any overspray before it sets up with Simple Green and water and get the rim nice and clean.
2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:51:10 am
 Having tried waxes and dry lubes in earnest, I continue to oil my chains as that serves better for the types and conditions in which I ride in soggy flogging Washington State.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 12:58:58 am
I have used PJ1 Black and I'm sure it does an excellent job of lubricating but I didn't like the way it throws large globs of it on the rear wheel even after letting it 'dry' overnight.

I switched to PJ-1 Blue (which is made for "O" ring chains) and it is doing an excellent job of lubricating my old fashioned standard type chain.
The PJ1 Blue also doesn't sling off hardly anything after it has had a chance to dry.

As for chain saw oil and even regular old motor oil I'm sure both would lubricate the chain just fine but, they also don't thicken so they are easily thrown/washed off of the chain while riding.  (Been there, done that in my early days of riding.)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 03:31:58 am
Eagle56 - I believe chain saw oil is fine for your chain.
  With O and X ring chains the lube of the pin is sealed by the rubber rings. All you need to do clean the chain. Chain Wax is good to protect the chain, lube the rollers on the sprocket and keep the lube in the seals. You want to avoid any chemical that penetrates the chain.
  Regular chains benefit by an oil that penetrates to the pins. Then the coverage of the lube helps protect the chain from water and rusting.
  Dupont makes an inexpensive chain lube.
  If you have a good old time roller chain with a master link your maintenance is different. Keep a 'service chain'. That's an old, even crummy chain, that you keep. After you release the clip on your chain, use the open pinned link to attach your service chain. On the lower run, pull off your chain, leading on the service chain. Now you can easily service your chain.
  Put it in an oil pan. Clean it with kerosene. Brush off the gunk. Wipe off everything. In ancient times riders keep a pot of paraffin mixed with graphite. After heating it, they would drop in the chain and 'cook' it. The lube would penetrate into the rollers and cover the plates and rollers. Pull it out and let it dry. Wipe the excess.
  Or you can spray it. Then you lead your good chain back on your bike and adjust it.
 In between big clean ups, run the bike to get the chain heated and spray on some lube. Wipe the excess.
  If your leg isn't covered with chain lube, you're not trying.
ACE Motors - sales & administration