Author Topic: Royal Enfield reliability - your experiences  (Read 25365 times)

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 06:14:55 pm
texmex - Did you replace your regulator/rectifier with the stock part or did you find something else?

Bill
ACE Motors - sales & administration

caricabasso

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 26, 2015, 06:40:38 pm
I purchased a B5 in the month of March 2012.
To date 45,000 kilometers without problems.
Maintenance work carried out are:
removed the decompression 10,000 km
-chain replaced at 30,000 km
Changed pinion with a 19-teeth
Changed starter relay to 25,000 km
Changed speedometer cable to 40,000 kilometers.
Oil change every 4,500 km oil Motul 5100 15W50.
Any inconvenience or loss of power to report

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 06:59:43 pm
2012 C5 Maroon purchased May of 2013.
7800+ miles.
Removed Side Stand switch.
Added Bar End mirrors and WOLO Bad Boy horn.
Replaced OEM bazooka with Reverse Meg from NFG.
Added wind screen.
Replaced faulty LH switch module at 2700 miles.
Replaced OEM chain with Tsubaki @ 3000 miles.
Replaced OEM battery with AGM @ 3500 miles.
Changed to Mobil V-Twin full synthetic oil at 4000 miles. About due for another change.
Otherwise scheduled maintenance only with no problems.
 ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 08:56:14 pm
Just under 10,000 miles on my 2012 B5 UK model, normally used for 110 mile each way commute as well as for the fun trips out. it is One of 3 bikes and 2 3 wheeled cars I run so the millage isn't as high as it could be!
Had to change the swingarm bushes and pivot bolt as the original had corroded out and oval'd the bushes , now have the old style isolastic bushes instead. Side stand switch was causing the engine to cut out at 70mph is now disconnected. One tooth larger drive sprocket fitted for better long distance cruising along with a H/D DID 530 chain for a longer life after I had a Renolds chain snap, the OEM chain having stretched to much after around 3,000 miles.
I also have a K&N air filter and shorty muffler. For all year round riding I have fitted the Avon style Dolphin fairing and legshields from Hitchcocks, not to everyone's taste but they are fantastic at keeping me out of the weather and more importantly dry!
The battery boiled itself to death (failed cell?) at around the 3000 mile mark as well, I now have a Gell type battery fitted which has not let me down even if the bike has been stood for a while. I have ditched the front skidmaster for a Mitas which still looks traditional but has far more grip, the rear will be changed for a Mitas the next time I remove the rear wheel. Apart from the above Mod's, additions and small fixes, my B5 has been very reliable no matter the weather or temperature or how long the bike has been standing for. A shame the rear brake is so poor!
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

HUdson51

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 04:04:37 am
2015 c5 mil. 1200 mi. Only problem has been blown headlight fuse, bike is running very well. Mainly short commute trips ( 8mi one way) on country roads. Has been to 70m.p.h. and felt good ( no excessive vibration ). How do I find the thread on building new battery cables as I would like to do so preemptively.

The Old Coot

• Grand Gearhead
  • A car moves the body, a motorcycle moves the soul
Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 12:53:56 pm
I have had a few problems with my 2015 C5 but all little nagging stuff, broken battery terminal, the Rectifier bracket, bad exhaust pipe, and poor fit up of the air feed tube. All more like a paper cut than a death wound of a blown motor, broken frame or exploded rear brake. So in the big picture I guess it's just a thing. More aggravating than anything else really, after all the RE is not my only bike or grocery geter.

My biggest thing was I feel some could have been caught when the bike was built. At least my dealer is supportive and will mail me the parts as it's 180 mile round trip over for me. The others are KNOWN problems and SHOULD have been addressed by RE long ago. If they plan to be a world player they need to get it together and fix the little stuff not just the big things.

One thing I want to add is I have to stop and remind my self it's NOT a Japanese "UJM" motorcycle. I have to look after it by checking it over and not just add gas and go. BUT that's part of the reason I bought it and I know I'll work though the nip pick stuff sooner or later.

2012 Kawasaki Versys
2015 Royal Enfield C5 black
2008 Bullet ES 5 Iron Barrel

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 04:43:32 pm
ALOT less bothersome than their British Ancestors - Trust me on this.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

retrolynn

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 04:56:40 pm
I have liked Royal Enfields for a long time.I finally got a new 2013 b5,forest green,last june 2014. I rode it home,slowly,from the dealer,120 miles.It has the touring windshield,and bags. I replaced the headlight with a 7inch one. It now has just over 2400 miles on it,and it is running better all the time. The vibration is minimal,and it gets  69-72 mpg. I ride it on 2 lane roads 55-65 mph,and have taken a few 240 mile round trips. The only problem has been the negative battery cable,which has been replaced. I change the oil,after break-in at 1500 mile intervals. It is a very enjoyable motorcycle.
Lynn

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 05:25:13 pm
How do I find the thread on building new battery cables as I would like to do so preemptively.

This one?

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,18593.0.html

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 05:38:25 pm
I have just over 6000 miles on my 2013 B5 in a year and a half. I had some issues to begin with, but for the most part it has done well. I have to qualify that by saying it has done well "for what it is"  It is not a Japanese bike. And I fully believe that if you treat it the way many people treat Japanese bikes, it is going to have serious problems. I baby mine, both maintenance wise and the way I ride it. I never exceed 60 mph, and those 6000 miles were all put on in nice conditions. It has never been more than 130 miles from home, it has never been ridden in the rain or off road, and it has never been ridden in the 115 degree heat we have here in AZ. Compared to a Japanese bike it is very crude and unrefined. Compare the welds on the frame with a Japanese bike. If that is an indication of the quality of the rest of the bike, then it is way down in quality compared to Japanese machines. I keep comparing it to Japanese bikes because that is all I have ever ridden (about 40 of them) with the exception of a '66 Triumph. I'd say the Enfield is very comparable to the Triumph.

But. If you want a bike with character, that looks, sounds and feels like a real motorcycle, an actual mechanical device, a machine, then the Enfield is an excellent choice. The only other bikes I can think of that have these traits are Harleys, which are everywhere, and have a reputation I personally don't care for, or real vintage bikes.

I would not buy an Enfield for serious transportation, like long high speed trips on the freeway under all kinds of conditions. For that get a boring Japanese bike. I bought my Enfield because I got tired of boring Japanese bikes. And I do not regret it in any way. It has provided me with 6000 miles of pleasure, plus the enjoyment of working on it, which, admittedly, many people don't want to do these days. I find it very satisfying. I expect to enjoy this bike for many years to come. But again, I did buy it for a toy. I have other bikes and cars for mundane transportation.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

crock

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:59 pm
2014 C5 Chrome 5535 miles with PCV + Sports Exhaust Cracked mid Exhaust mount
Flat front tire - appeared to be from pinched tube
Headlight connection melted with installation of NFG 7 inch Minda reflector and bulb kit. Replaced headlight wiring with Easternbeaver.com relay kit.
Went over the whole bike with Nordlock washers and Loctite.
 Forgot the rear lower license plate bracket bolt so it fell off.
Replaced battery with Shorai Lithium unit to prevent acid
spills.
Polish the bike constantly. It still looks good but requires far more effort than I think it should.
Regular oil changes by the book.
Replaced sparkplug with NGK.
Using Scott oiler for chain. Zero wear so far.

Rocket

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 10:35:14 pm
2014 Continental GT
10,000km
Used for commuting, short (so far) touring and hills scratching.
This bike was bought new by me (first new vehicle ever!) and I was really appalled at how badly it was PD'd. Put together really badly, with chain excessively tight, brake caliper misaligned, loose steering head bearings and a bunch of other stuff. Also stalling at traffic lights, hard to start blah blah. The dealer was useless and clueless and I haven't been back in over a year.
HOWEVER: I've since rectified all those problems and fitted a Power Commander (must have this!) and just ridden the nuts off it since. It's a brilliant little motorbike. Corners like a demon, goes slow in a straight line, but that means I can give it the berries all the time and that's fun. It's been 100% reliable so far and I use it with confidence to go to work or play. No broken battery cables been reported on the GT's yet to my knowledge. I haven't even had to adjust the chain so far. I'm using a locally made CRC type stuff for chain lube, just to see what happens. No worries so far. The tyres are worn out at 10,000, as are the front brake pads. This bike sees a lot of hills twisties duty and is the first bike I've worn the front tyre out in the same mileage as the rear.
My first few services had the usual shavings and lint in the oil and strainer but at my recent 10,000km service the oil and strainer were clean. Just a tiny bit of fur on the mag drain plug.
The tail light bulb blows every 3000km or so.
We have a growing Indian community here in Adelaide and it's fun to see their looks of recognition and then disapproval as they see and hear a RE burning off  revving its spuds out. They think it should "plonk plonk plonk" along and don't get the whole fun thing. It's also fun to round up an arseclown in a racesuit on a 120hp litre bike through the bends on a 29hp "antique" when it happens.
I think it's a great bike. It's happy to cruise at 100-120kph and I'm happy with that. I don't treat it mean, but I don't feel that speed is unreasonable for this bike.
My one doesn't vibrate much and the needles are still clear at 110. They blur a bit at 120 and are pretty unreadable at 140. Top speed I've seen is 145.
My mods:
Hitchcock Motad muffler
PC-V
Bar end mirrors
snapped footpeg ends
panniers, rack, tankbag

I service it at 2500km intervals. Might stretch that out a bit from now.

So, it's not broken, it gets used a lot and I love it. Hope I haven't jinxed myself. You know, pride before a fall and all that.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:37:43 pm by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

mikezante

• Neophyte
Reply #27 on: October 03, 2015, 07:26:27 pm
Hello from Greece

I have a 2013 C5 Desert Storm with 7000km. I bought it used in May 2015 with 1000km.

I used to ride it in city the first 2 months until I discovered that traffic is too painful for my bike and me.

I have spent my summer holidays on the islands riding my bike. The weather was too hot but this wasn't an issue.

I drive in motorways from 60 to 80 mph, doing a pit stop every 45 min.

In conclusion, RE EFI engine is beyond my expectations!  :D

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:36:37 pm by mikezante »
2013 C5 Desert Storm

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 07:49:45 pm
To each their own. I love the way the Enfield "plonk plonk plonks" along at 55-60 mph. Sure beats the muted hum of a Japanese bike.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

sjbiat

• Bulleteer
Reply #29 on: October 04, 2015, 01:48:50 pm
I have a C5 that I bought new 5 years ago; it has 10,000 mi.  The last 500 have been with a sidecar.  Several multi-day trips; but seldom ridden at top speed.  No problems after warranty, except recently replaced fork seals, and need to bypass solenoid whenever battery is low.  Plus some other electrical problems caused by my own mistakes.  Nothing has fallen off or rusted.   I'm very satisfied.
stephan
09 C5 with Cozy sidecar now
formerly
97 Motoguzzi
94/02 Ural
85 BMW R80
64 BMW R60/Hollandia/Steib
61 BMW R69/Watsonian
60 Pugeot